replace chain?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, Feb 18, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    I completely believe you, I just don't subscribe to your chain cleaning philosophy. For me, it's not
    worth my time to take care of my chain that thoroughly, when a new one is $18.

    In fact, the more I think about it, I may never clean my chain again!

    "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:23:58 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >John Everett writes:
    > >
    > >> If a chain is kept clean and well lubricated it will last a very long time indeed. I've gotten
    > >> over 18,500 miles from a Dura Ace chain, and when it broke (see my posting on the "HG Chain
    > >> Compatibility Question" thread) it still wasn't worn out.
    > >
    > >I'm curious. Are you sure you didn't mean 1850 miles? What was the wear at that time?
    > >
    > >Something doesn't add up here.
    >
    > Looks like I've been exaggerating for some time. By dint of some Googleing I found the following,
    > posted right here on r.b.t. April 23, 1997.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=high+mileage+chain+group:rec.bicycles.*+au
    thor:john+author:everett&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as
    _minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=20&as_maxm=2&as_maxy=2003&selm=5jl5jk%24e47%241
    %40kirin.wwa.com&rnum=2

    > "As promised, I cleaned and waxed my road bike chains yesterday afternoon. I decided it was
    > finally time to replace my high mileage Dura-Ace chain because it had 3/32" of "stretch" over two
    > feet, but I though I'd run it until it needed waxing again. So I put it back on the bike and
    > headed for last evening's club ride. On the ride I was telling the group that I'd finally decided
    > to replace my high mileage chain, and we got into a discussion of chain cleaning, lubrication, and
    > life expectancy. Within a couple of miles, while I was downshifting the front derailleur, the
    > chain came apart. It looks like one of the pins pulled out. So after 18,138.6 miles of repeatedly
    > pushing pins in and out, one of them failed. Guess I should have been using those black pins all
    > along;-).
    >
    > "When I finally reached the parking lot at the end of the ride with a chain now one inch shorter,
    > I was (of course) greeted with hoots of dirision and a chorus of "Workin' on a Chain Gang". So My
    > Dura-Ace chain (at least most of the links) made it to 18,142.4 miles."
    >
    > Guess I'll stop claiming I got 18,500 miles out of a chain.
    >

    > jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  2. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I completely believe you, I just don't subscribe to your chain cleaning philosophy. For me, it's
    > not worth my time to take care of my chain that thoroughly, when a new one is $18.
    >
    > In fact, the more I think about it, I may never clean my chain again!

    For my commuter it's less than $10 for a PC-48 and I agree. What's your time worth anyway? It's like
    alot of people I know shopping for hoursto save $5 or driving 30 miles to save the same amount.

    Robin Hubert