replace chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely believe you, I just don't subscribe to your chain cleaning philosophy. For me, it's not
worth my time to take care of my chain that thoroughly, when a new one is $18.

In fact, the more I think about it, I may never clean my chain again!

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:23:58 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >John Everett writes:
> >
> >> If a chain is kept clean and well lubricated it will last a very long time indeed. I've gotten
> >> over 18,500 miles from a Dura Ace chain, and when it broke (see my posting on the "HG Chain
> >> Compatibility Question" thread) it still wasn't worn out.
> >
> >I'm curious. Are you sure you didn't mean 1850 miles? What was the wear at that time?
> >
> >Something doesn't add up here.
>
> Looks like I've been exaggerating for some time. By dint of some Googleing I found the following,
> posted right here on r.b.t. April 23, 1997.
>
> From:
>
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=high+mileage+chain+group:rec.bicycles.*+au
thor:john+author:everett&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as
_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=20&as_maxm=2&as_maxy=2003&selm=5jl5jk%24e47%241
%40kirin.wwa.com&rnum=2
>
> "As promised, I cleaned and waxed my road bike chains yesterday afternoon. I decided it was
> finally time to replace my high mileage Dura-Ace chain because it had 3/32" of "stretch" over two
> feet, but I though I'd run it until it needed waxing again. So I put it back on the bike and
> headed for last evening's club ride. On the ride I was telling the group that I'd finally decided
> to replace my high mileage chain, and we got into a discussion of chain cleaning, lubrication, and
> life expectancy. Within a couple of miles, while I was downshifting the front derailleur, the
> chain came apart. It looks like one of the pins pulled out. So after 18,138.6 miles of repeatedly
> pushing pins in and out, one of them failed. Guess I should have been using those black pins all
> along;-).
>
> "When I finally reached the parking lot at the end of the ride with a chain now one inch shorter,
> I was (of course) greeted with hoots of dirision and a chorus of "Workin' on a Chain Gang". So My
> Dura-Ace chain (at least most of the links) made it to 18,142.4 miles."
>
> Guess I'll stop claiming I got 18,500 miles out of a chain.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1045781276.425179@sj-nntpcache-5...
> I completely believe you, I just don't subscribe to your chain cleaning philosophy. For me, it's
> not worth my time to take care of my chain that thoroughly, when a new one is $18.
>
> In fact, the more I think about it, I may never clean my chain again!

For my commuter it's less than $10 for a PC-48 and I agree. What's your time worth anyway? It's like
alot of people I know shopping for hoursto save $5 or driving 30 miles to save the same amount.

Robin Hubert

>
>
>
> "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:23:58 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > >John Everett writes:
> > >
> > >> If a chain is kept clean and well lubricated it will last a very long time indeed. I've
> > >> gotten over 18,500 miles from a Dura Ace chain, and when it broke (see my posting on the "HG
> > >> Chain Compatibility
Question"
> > >> thread) it still wasn't worn out.
> > >
> > >I'm curious. Are you sure you didn't mean 1850 miles? What was the wear at that time?
> > >
> > >Something doesn't add up here.
> >
> > Looks like I've been exaggerating for some time. By dint of some Googleing I found the
> > following, posted right here on r.b.t. April 23, 1997.
> >
> > From:
> >
>
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=high+mileage+chain+group:rec.bicycles.*+au
>
thor:john+author:everett&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as
>
_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=20&as_maxm=2&as_maxy=2003&selm=5jl5jk%24e47%241
> %40kirin.wwa.com&rnum=2
> >
> > "As promised, I cleaned and waxed my road bike chains yesterday afternoon. I decided it was
> > finally time to replace my high mileage Dura-Ace chain because it had 3/32" of "stretch" over
> > two feet, but I though I'd run it until it needed waxing again. So I put it back on the bike and
> > headed for last evening's club ride. On the ride I was telling the group that I'd finally
> > decided to replace my high mileage chain, and we got into a discussion of chain cleaning,
> > lubrication, and life expectancy. Within a couple of miles, while I was downshifting the front
> > derailleur, the chain came apart. It looks like one of the pins pulled out. So after 18,138.6
> > miles of repeatedly pushing pins in and out, one of them failed. Guess I should have been using
> > those black pins all along;-).
> >
> > "When I finally reached the parking lot at the end of the ride with a chain now one inch
> > shorter, I was (of course) greeted with hoots of dirision and a chorus of "Workin' on a Chain
> > Gang". So My Dura-Ace chain (at least most of the links) made it to 18,142.4 miles."
> >
> > Guess I'll stop claiming I got 18,500 miles out of a chain.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Status
Not open for further replies.