replace chain?

I completely believe you, I just don't subscribe to your chain cleaning philosophy. For me, it's not
worth my time to take care of my chain that thoroughly, when a new one is $18.

In fact, the more I think about it, I may never clean my chain again!

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:23:58 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >John Everett writes:
> >
> >> If a chain is kept clean and well lubricated it will last a very long time indeed. I've gotten
> >> over 18,500 miles from a Dura Ace chain, and when it broke (see my posting on the "HG Chain
> >> Compatibility Question" thread) it still wasn't worn out.
> >
> >I'm curious. Are you sure you didn't mean 1850 miles? What was the wear at that time?
> >
> >Something doesn't add up here.
>
> Looks like I've been exaggerating for some time. By dint of some Googleing I found the following,
> posted right here on r.b.t. April 23, 1997.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=high+mileage+chain+group:rec.bicycles.*+au
thor:john+author:everett&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as
_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=20&as_maxm=2&as_maxy=2003&selm=5jl5jk%24e47%241
%40kirin.wwa.com&rnum=2

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1045781276.425179@sj-nntpcache-5...
> I completely believe you, I just don't subscribe to your chain cleaning philosophy. For me, it's
> not worth my time to take care of my chain that thoroughly, when a new one is $18.
>
> In fact, the more I think about it, I may never clean my chain again!

For my commuter it's less than $10 for a PC-48 and I agree. What's your time worth anyway? It's like
alot of people I know shopping for hoursto save $5 or driving 30 miles to save the same amount.

Robin Hubert