Replace Chainrings on Biopace?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jesse Falsone, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. Jesse Falsone

    Jesse Falsone New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2003
    Last year a friend gave me his Trek 660 as an enticement to get into riding. Well, it worked and I now own a very nice custom steel bike. I've upgraded some parts on the 660, and I'm now in the middle of a rebuild so that the bike can be passed on to another sucker. I want to complete the rebuild on the cheap, so I'm only doing what is absolutely necessary or what can be done for very little money. I've had to replace a worn BB and cassette so far, but all the other components are just fine after a thorough cleaning and inspection. An experienced friend of mine told me to dump the Biopace, although I never had any complaints with it. My question is if I choose to do this, can I use the same Shimano 600 cranks with standard 53-39 chainrings? If I have to replace the cranks too, I'll leave the Biopace on. Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    Yes, it will work fine.

  3. Jesse Falsone

    Jesse Falsone New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2003
    Thanks!

    Forgot to ask - is there a special spec for the front chainrings since this is a 7-speed? Or, will any Shimano 53/39 work?

  4. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    Go with an after market supplier and save some money.

    Try Salsa or Stronglight. I used Salsa last year when I upgraded the drive train on an old Ultegra 600 (7 speed) and it works fine.

    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=7&major=1&minor=12

  5. Jesse Falsone wrote:

    > Forgot to ask - is there a special spec for the front
    > chainrings since this is a 7-speed? Or, will any Shimano
    > 53/39 work?

    Any 130 BCD chainrings will work, but my advice is to stick
    with the Biopace rings unless they're badly worn. They're
    nice, and they're easy on the knees!

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/biopace

    Sheldon "Biopace" Brown +--------------------------------------------
    +
    | All the world's a stage and most of us | are desperately
    | unrehearsed. | --Sean O'Casey |
    +--------------------------------------------+ Harris
    Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
    617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
    http://sheldonbrown.com

  6. Cathy Boland

    Cathy Boland Guest

    > Jesse Falsone wrote:
    >
    > > Forgot to ask - is there a special spec for the front
    > > chainrings since this is a 7-speed? Or, will any Shimano
    > > 53/39 work?
    >
    > Any 130 BCD chainrings will work, but my advice is to
    > stick with the Biopace rings unless they're badly worn.
    > They're nice, and they're easy on the knees!

    For you maybe. I had an old bike with Biopace that I keep at
    my in-laws house to ride when we visit. On the last visit my
    knees were killing me within a couple of days. Changed out
    the biopace rings for standard round ones and viola! No more
    knee pain.

  7. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Cathy Boland wrote:
    > "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Jesse Falsone wrote:
    >>

    >>>Forgot to ask - is there a special spec for the front
    >>>chainrings since this is a 7-speed? Or, will any Shimano
    >>>53/39 work?
    >>
    >>Any 130 BCD chainrings will work, but my advice is to
    >>stick with the Biopace rings unless they're badly worn.
    >>They're nice, and they're easy on the knees!
    >>

    > For you maybe. I had an old bike with Biopace that I
    > keep at my in-laws house to ride when we visit. On the
    > last visit my knees were killing me within a couple of
    > days. Changed out the biopace rings for standard round
    > ones and viola!

    Your bike turned into a stringed instrument?

    Greg

  8. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > Cathy Boland wrote:

    >> Changed out the biopace rings for standard round ones
    >> and viola!
    >
    > Your bike turned into a stringed instrument?

    Greg you ignorant slut. Everyone knows that viola is the
    correct word when used on Usenet.

    Now go check out some tubless tires.

    Bill "mercy" S.

  9. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Cathy Boland wrote:
    > > "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:[email protected]...

    > >>Any 130 BCD chainrings will work, but my advice is to
    > >>stick with the Biopace rings unless they're badly worn.
    > >>They're nice, and they're easy on the knees!
    > >>

    > > For you maybe. I had an old bike with Biopace that I
    > > keep at my in-laws house to ride when we visit. On the
    > > last visit my knees were killing me within a couple of
    > > days. Changed out the biopace rings for standard round
    > > ones and viola!
    >
    > Your bike turned into a stringed instrument?
    >
    > Greg

    Dear Greg,

    Probably not. It's actually an old joke, nicely phrased by
    Cathy, intentionally or not.

    It's also a good way to avoid hunting for that pesky
    accented letter.

    (If you think that spelling and punctuation are annoyingly
    hard in English, try writing in one of the flyspeck
    languages.)

    VoilĂ !

    Carl Fogel

  10. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Carl Fogel wrote:
    > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Cathy Boland wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>>message news:[email protected]...

    >>>For you maybe. I had an old bike with Biopace that I
    >>>keep at my in-laws house to ride when we visit. On the
    >>>last visit my knees were killing me within a couple of
    >>>days. Changed out the biopace rings for standard round
    >>>ones and viola!
    >>
    >>Your bike turned into a stringed instrument?
    >>
    >>Greg
    >

    > Dear Greg,
    >
    > Probably not. It's actually an old joke, nicely phrased by
    > Cathy, intentionally or not.
    >
    > It's also a good way to avoid hunting for that pesky
    > accented letter.
    >
    > (If you think that spelling and punctuation are annoyingly
    > hard in English, try writing in one of the flyspeck
    > languages.)
    >
    > VoilĂ !

    Voila! looks fine to me. I don't need no stinking accents to
    read, only to pronounce. Even the ignorant walla works for
    me. But viola?

    Greg

  11. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Jesse Falsone wrote:

    > Last year a friend gave me his Trek 660 as an enticement
    > to get into riding. Well, it worked and I now own a very
    > nice custom steel bike. I've upgraded some parts on the
    > 660, and I'm now in the middle of a rebuild so that the
    > bike can be passed on to another sucker. I want to
    > complete the rebuild on the cheap, so I'm only doing what
    > is absolutely necessary or what can be done for very
    > little money. I've had to replace a worn BB and cassette
    > so far, but all the other components are just fine after a
    > thorough cleaning and inspection. An experienced friend of
    > mine told me to dump the Biopace, although I never had any
    > complaints with it. My question is if I choose to do this,
    > can I use the same Shimano 600 cranks with standard 53-39
    > chainrings? If I have to replace the cranks too, I'll
    > leave the Biopace on.

    Standard 130mm rings fit fine but you might just tell the
    prospective buyer that. Some riders prefer BioPace. And you
    can't necessarily mark the bike up the amount you spend on
    two new rings.

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  12. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Jesse Falsone wrote:

    > Thanks!
    >
    > Forgot to ask - is there a special spec for the front
    > chainrings since this is a 7-speed? Or, will any Shimano
    > 53/39 work?
    >

    > --

    Any will work but older (six, seven) cost less.