Replace QR axle with bolt-on

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Can the group point me to info on changing my quick-release Ultegra hubs into bolt-ons?

    It's for security. My experience is bolt-ons are rarely stolen. And proprietary locking skewers are
    less practical.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can the group point me to info on changing my quick-release Ultegra hubs into bolt-ons?
    >
    > It's for security. My experience is bolt-ons are rarely stolen. And proprietary locking skewers
    > are less practical.

    Most of the bike shops in my area sell a qr-to-bolt-on conversion kit. It includes two hex-headed
    skewers and a hex-headed seatpost clamp bolt. It costs about US$10.

    Check around, look for a commuter/city-oriented lbs.

  3. Danziggidy

    Danziggidy Guest

    One method that has worked on my freeride bike is to tap out the inside of your axle where the QR
    slides with a 6mm tap. If you clamp it properly it will be good and straight. You can now use 6mm
    hardware (same as on the rest of your biek) to 'lock' you wheels on.

    This method works but is sketchy especially with nice hubs. Try it at your own risk.

    Jon

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can the group point me to info on changing my quick-release Ultegra hubs into bolt-ons?
    >
    > It's for security. My experience is bolt-ons are rarely stolen. And proprietary locking skewers
    > are less practical.

  4. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:10:15 GMT, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can the group point me to info on changing my quick-release Ultegra hubs into bolt-ons?

    You'll want a 9x1x142 axle (and a couple of 9x1 track axle nuts) for the front hub. An 8 or 9 speed
    Ultegra rear hub should have a 10x1x174 axle (again, plus a pair of 10x1 axle nuts to secure the
    wheel in the frame). Transfer the cones, locknuts and any spacers between the cones and locknuts
    from the current setup when you install the new axles.

    http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
    twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online