Replace QR axle with bolt-on

Jeff

Guest
Can the group point me to info on changing my quick-release Ultegra hubs into bolt-ons?

It's for security. My experience is bolt-ons are rarely stolen. And proprietary locking skewers are
less practical.

In article <[email protected]>, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Can the group point me to info on changing my quick-release Ultegra hubs into bolt-ons?
>
> It's for security. My experience is bolt-ons are rarely stolen. And proprietary locking skewers
> are less practical.

Most of the bike shops in my area sell a qr-to-bolt-on conversion kit. It includes two hex-headed
skewers and a hex-headed seatpost clamp bolt. It costs about US$10.

Check around, look for a commuter/city-oriented lbs.

One method that has worked on my freeride bike is to tap out the inside of your axle where the QR
slides with a 6mm tap. If you clamp it properly it will be good and straight. You can now use 6mm
hardware (same as on the rest of your biek) to 'lock' you wheels on.

This method works but is sketchy especially with nice hubs. Try it at your own risk.

Jon

news:[email protected]...

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:10:15 GMT, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Can the group point me to info on changing my quick-release Ultegra hubs into bolt-ons?

You'll want a 9x1x142 axle (and a couple of 9x1 track axle nuts) for the front hub. An 8 or 9 speed
Ultegra rear hub should have a 10x1x174 axle (again, plus a pair of 10x1 axle nuts to secure the
wheel in the frame). Transfer the cones, locknuts and any spacers between the cones and locknuts
from the current setup when you install the new axles.

http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online