Replace Shimano Dura Ace RD-7900 carbon rear derailleur cage...

albee

Apr 24, 2014
I am looking to replace the toasted carbon rear derailleur cage on my Shimano RD-7900 derailleur that is in otherwise excellent condition. I was thinking of trying to replace it w/ an aluminum cage from an Ultegra RD-6700. To buy another carbon cage is too cost prohibitive - I would be better off just paying for another slightly used complete derailleur. Does anyone know if the cages are interchangeable?

FWIW. I cannot speak directly to Shimano's latest-and-greatest, but the rear derailleur cages on ALMOST ALL prior Shimano rear derailleurs were interchangeable ...

Here is an Ultegra rear derailleur which I mated with an XT rear cage ...

You only need to be moderately handy to make the change ...

Allow between 5 minutes AND 5 hours (!?!) ...

You probably don't need to remove the pulley wheels & inner cage, but I do ...

BUT, if you aren't handy OR if you are easily frustrated, then you may not want to undertake the task

Thanks for this....I'll check into it and see what I can tie together.

I was checking out trying to find the lowest end road rear derailleur cage that bolts onto the derailleur chassis and I think the lowest I can go is Ultegra, b/c 105's look like the cage is permanently mounted - no allen key hole.

Originally Posted by albee
I was checking out trying to find the lowest end road rear derailleur cage that bolts onto the derailleur chassis and I think the lowest I can go is Ultegra, b/c 105's look like the cage is permanently mounted - no allen key hole.
I do NOT know which Shimano rear derailleurs have a (¿)hidden(?) Allen Key Hole to preclude access to the small bolt which secures the rear pulley cage's pivot shaft ...

Consequently, because it is mostly a cosmetic issue (IMO), if you do not want a long cage (that is, one which appears to be long) AND you can live with a steel cage, then you can possibly opt for the cage from a Shimano ALTUS (RD-M310) rear derailleur which I think has a 13t upper & a 15t (!!!) lower pulley whose cage I presume is secured in the same manner as with most other Shimano rear derailleurs ...

If you are truly handy, then you can re-sculpt the cage to some extent.by removing some of excess material from the steel cages ...

The weight penalty of a steel cage will be small ...

OR, simply get an older generation, USED Shimano rear derailleur whose cage has the general appearance suits which your aesthetic sensibilities ...

Thanks for the detailed suggested option. The esthetics is relatively irrelevant - function over form is the primary consideration. A short cage bolt-on set of inner & outer plates that match up enough w/ the design of the RD-7900 to do the job is all I need..