Replace Shimano IG with HG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bulter9090

I posted to the group earlier in the week (thanks for the replies) about my chain breaking and the
new chain slipping over the old cassette. I've since determined I have a Shimano IG2 cassette on my
1996 Shimano Alivio bike. I've contacted 5 cycle compinent retailers and none of them are able to
supply me with a replacement (presumably because it's 7 years old).

What are my options? Can I replace my IG cassette with a HG one? Will it still work with the
chainrings and derailleurs etc? Or do I have to replace the whole drivetrain? I might as well buy a
new bike if it comes to that which because a chain broke seems overkill :)

Thanks for any replies

Tom

"bulter9090" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I posted to the group earlier in the week (thanks for the replies) about
my
> chain breaking and the new chain slipping over the old cassette. I've
since
> determined I have a Shimano IG2 cassette on my 1996 Shimano Alivio bike. I've contacted 5 cycle
> compinent retailers and none of them are able to supply me with a replacement (presumably because
> it's 7 years old).
>
> What are my options? Can I replace my IG cassette with a HG one? Will it still work with the
> chainrings and derailleurs etc? Or do I have to
replace
> the whole drivetrain? I might as well buy a new bike if it comes to that which because a chain
> broke seems overkill :)
>
> Thanks for any replies
>
> Tom
>
>

If a new chain's slipping over the cassette, the cassette's probably knackered. The IG chain has
slightly different profiles on to help shifting between chainrings and upshifts.

HG stuff works perfectly well. As long as your chainrings and mechs aren't shot too, you'll be fine
putting an HG cassette and chain on.

--
Adam Dugmore

Kona Explosif Honda CB500R - Much easier uphill

Spamtrapped email

bulter9090 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I posted to the group earlier in the week (thanks for the replies) about
my
> chain breaking and the new chain slipping over the old cassette. I've
since
> determined I have a Shimano IG2 cassette on my 1996 Shimano Alivio bike. I've contacted 5 cycle
> compinent retailers and none of them are able to supply me with a replacement (presumably because
> it's 7 years old).
>
> What are my options? Can I replace my IG cassette with a HG one? Will it still work with the
> chainrings and derailleurs etc? Or do I have to
replace
> the whole drivetrain? I might as well buy a new bike if it comes to that which because a chain
> broke seems overkill :)

An HG cassette should be OK. If you buy from an LBS, it may be worth checking that the operall
width of the cassette is the same as the old one, in case the old cassette was an odd-ball like 7
speed for a 6 hub I just tried one of my spare UG cassettes (6-speed, with a screw-on top sprocket
instead of a lockring) on an HG freehub, and it fitted OK (apart from the overall width and the
threaded sprocket)

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.