Replace this (lightly used) chain?

Raptor

Guest
I'm only a semi-serious rider, so I put 1000 miles on my brand-new Lemond Tourmalet last year. This
was TLC riding, fair-weather, clean roads, no rain but a little water on the bike from time to time.
I seriously lubed the whole bike at least once last year.

Is it worth replacing the chain on this bike at the start of this season (yes, I'm just starting to
ride about now)? Or is the only real way to tell to put a ruler on it?

Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "Let me tell you what else I'm worried about. I'm
worried about an opponent who uses nation building and the military in the same sentence. See, our
view of the military is for the military to be properly prepared to fight and win war and therefore,
prevent war from happening in the first place." George Bush, Nov. 6, 2000

Raptor wrote:

> I'm only a semi-serious rider, so I put 1000 miles on my brand-new Lemond Tourmalet last year.
> This was TLC riding, fair-weather, clean roads, no rain but a little water on the bike from time
> to time. I seriously lubed the whole bike at least once last year.
>
> Is it worth replacing the chain on this bike at the start of this season (yes, I'm just starting
> to ride about now)? Or is the only real way to tell to put a ruler on it?

It's most likely in fine shape. I find 2K miles is a good time to start checking. Measure it with a
ruler if you wish to be sure. If it doesn't skip then just give it a good cleaning in some way you
prefer (I still take mine off, soak it for a few hours in diluted Simple Green, then toothbrush it),
lube it up and go.

who? writes:

> Is it worth replacing the chain on this bike at the start of this season (yes, I'm just starting
> to ride about now)? Or is the only real way to tell to put a ruler on it?

That is the only "real way" to determine the wear of a chain. Whether you should replace it is up to
you. If there is less than 1/2% elongation (1/16" per foot) I would leave it.

If you have cared for your chain as you have described the rest of your bike, you should be able to
enjoy anywhere from 2000 - 3000 miles out of it, depending on how finicky you are.

For me the price of a new chain every year is not that bad . I keep one for a spare and ride
on.Remember that chain ring where better with a new chain than a old one.

--
J/O Trailblazer At large !!

On Fri, 02 May 2003 11:37:42 +0000, Raptor wrote:

> Is it worth replacing the chain on this bike at the start of this season (yes, I'm just starting
> to ride about now)? Or is the only real way to tell to put a ruler on it?

Option b), but at 1000 miles chances are the chain is fine. Check, though, and clean&re-lube
the chain.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

me-<< I'm only a semi-serious rider, so I put 1000 miles on my brand-new Lemond Tourmalet last
year. This was TLC riding, fair-weather, clean roads, no rain but a little water on the bike from
time to time

<< Is it worth replacing the chain on this bike at the start of this season (yes, I'm just starting
to ride about now)? Or is the only real way to tell to put a ruler on it?

Ruler or good chain length checker, like the Rohloff one-but if ya kept it clean, I would just use
it this season...keeping it all clean.

It seems to me I first notice chain wear when the chain no longer shifts well going into the smaller
rear cogs. This occurs even when the ruler test shows the chain is ok, and when everything is well
lubed and adjusted. There muist be some side play that develops that is not measured adequately by
the ruler method.

On Sat, 03 May 2003 15:36:29 GMT, "Donald Specker" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It seems to me I first notice chain wear when the chain no longer shifts well going into the
>smaller rear cogs. This occurs even when the ruler test shows the chain is ok, and when everything
>is well lubed and adjusted. There muist be some side play that develops that is not measured
>adequately by the ruler method.

It seems to me this has nothing to do with chain wear but means that everything is not all that
well adjusted.

>who? writes:
>
>> Is it worth replacing the chain on this bike at the start of this season (yes, I'm just starting
>> to ride about now)? Or is the only real way to tell to put a ruler on it?
>
>That is the only "real way" to determine the wear of a chain. Whether you should replace it is up
>to you. If there is less than 1/2% elongation (1/16" per foot) I would leave it.

read the FAQ for more detailed instructions on how to do this. It is very easy and only
requires a ruler.