Replace Ultegra 9sp crankset with new 10sp crankset?

Bob

Guest
My bike has Ultegra 9sp components with a triple crankset (30-42-52). I'd prefer to use the new crankset gearing (30-39-53) that's part of the new Ultegra 10sp components. Does anyone know if I can swap out the original crankset with the new one without having to change other components? I could understand needing the new BB and possibly the new front derailleur, but am hoping that's it.

Thanks in advance.

Bob wrote:
> My bike has Ultegra 9sp components with a triple crankset (30-42-52). I'd prefer to use the new crankset gearing (30-39-53) that's part of the new Ultegra 10sp components. Does anyone know if I can swap out the original crankset with the new one without having to change other components? I could understand needing the new BB and possibly the new front derailleur, but am hoping that's it.

The new 2005 crank does use a different bottom bracket. The new
derailer is optimized for the 39 rather than the 42 middle, but I'm sure
your old one would also work. I'd wait on changing that out until
trying it.

If your present chainrings aren't trashed from tens of thousands of
miles of hard use, you could get very similar gearing a LOT cheaper by
just changing the middle ring, put a 38 or 39 on. TA is the best option
for this.

See: http://harriscyclery.com/130

Sheldon "TA TA" Brown
| A billion here, a couple of billion there -- |
| first thing you know it adds up to be real money. |
| --Sen. Everett McKinley Dirksen |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

bob writes-<< My bike has Ultegra 9sp components with a triple crankset
(30-42-52). I'd prefer to use the new crankset gearing (30-39-53) that's part
of the new Ultegra 10sp components. Does anyone know if I can swap out the
original crankset with the new one without having to change other components?
>><BR><BR>

I say, yes you can but a far cheaper alternative is get 53/39 rings from TA.
Don't need a new front der, but a 10s one with a longer cage back would
probably work better.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Pietro Chisolmo wrote:

> bob writes-<< My bike has Ultegra 9sp components with a triple crankset
> (30-42-52). I'd prefer to use the new crankset gearing (30-39-53) that's part
> of the new Ultegra 10sp components. Does anyone know if I can swap out the
> original crankset with the new one without having to change other components?
>
>>><BR><BR>

Come on, Peter, it's not _that_ cold! ;-)

> I say, yes you can but a far cheaper alternative is get 53/39 rings from TA.
> Don't need a new front der, but a 10s one with a longer cage back would
> probably work better.

Why do you think he needs to replace the rear derailer? If the old one
worked with the older triple, why wouldn't it work just as well with the
different middle ring?

Changing out a 52 for a 53 seems to me like a waste of money for a
measly 2% gear difference. I doubt many riders can detect such a
difference without counting teeth.

Sheldon "Agrees About TA" Brown
| The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold |
| it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress |
| up, get out training and when you come back, you then know |
| how cold it is. -Sean Kelly |

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Sheldon "Agrees About TA" Brown

...and apart from being very good value for money, you can choose the colour
of the chainrings!

Greets, Derk