replace V-brakes with dual-pivot brakes?

jr85

Mar 21, 2013
i just bought this bike with V-brakes. i am not a massive fan of them and was thinking about customising my bike and installing dual-calipers. however, while the forks and rear of the frame do have a hole to mount brakes, this is not more crude and not suitable for a sunken nut. is it possible to upgrade the brakes?

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_race_UK.html

this is the bike

FWIW. This is NOT a definitive answer without seeing your bike's frame ...

However, unless you have a frame builder (or, if you can DIY) mount a new brake bridge on the rear stays + change the fork (or, mount a brace onto which you could mount the standard Road brake caliper), you will probably need calipers with a really long 95mm +/- REACH ...

IMO, your only feasible options are probably CANTILEVER CALIPERS, or MINI V-BRAKES, or a disc fork in the front & a really-long-reach brake caliper for the rear.

New pads + new cables & housing will probably be more economical.

I don't like linear-pull brakes either, but sometimes you just have to live with them. In addition to alf's list of caveats, add the incompatibility between the calipers and your brake levers. Because dual pivot brakes require less cable pull, they would require strong hands and be difficult to modulate using levers designed for linear-pull brakes.

The link you provided shows a bike with disc caliper mounts. Why not upgrade to disc brakes?

Originally Posted by jr85 .

i just bought this bike with V-brakes. i am not a massive fan of them and was thinking about customising my bike and installing dual-calipers. however, while the forks and rear of the frame do have a hole to mount brakes, this is not more crude and not suitable for a sunken nut. is it possible to upgrade the brakes?
FYI. The holes which you mentioned are for mounting fenders/etc. ...

• the hole on the rearward side of the fork can be enlarged to accept a recessed nut
  • and similarly, the forward facing hole on the rear can be enlarged to accept a recessed nut

BUT, as CAMPYBOB observed, if you simply want to customize your bike, then because your bike's frame & fork are apparently disc brake ready YOU just have to pony up for the disc brake calipers & levers + new wheels OR new hubs onto which you will have your current rims laced .... generally, not a cheap proposition.

If you don't like your current V-brakes, then the more obvious (?!?) upgrade would be a set of XT or XTR V-brakes ...

• are XT & XTR V-brakes easier to adjust? Yes, but ...
  • do XT or XTR V-brakes maintain pad angle better. Yes, but ...
  • do XT or XTR V-brakes stop better? Maybe, maybe not!!

Cantilever brake calipers which are still used on Cyclocross bikes WILL give your bike a custom appearance.

BTW. I presume you want your bike to look something like this ...

I enlarged the forward facing "fender mounting" hole on the B-Stay to accept a recessed nut (as I suggested, above) ...

BUT, whether you choose to opt for disc brakes OR to install an appropriately long reach brake caliper (maybe, a brake caliper with a ~73mm, +/-, reach will work for the rear ... maybe, for the fork too ... regardless, YOU have to measure the theoretical reach for YOUR frame & fork!), YOUR bike's brake bosses will still be present ...

1. I removed the brake bosses from the seat stays ...
    • but, it's a steel frame ...
    • and, you probably should NOT remove the cantilever/(V-brake) brake bosses from an aluminum/CF/Titanium frame!!!
  2. the particular frame started as a 26er Hardtail ...
    • the existing hole in the B-Stay was close enough to the brake surface on a 700c rim that I could use a 49mm-59mm ("long") reach Tektro brake caliper ...
    • Shimano makes a "long" reach brake caliper, too, if you are brand conscious.
  3. BTW, as oldbobcat noted, you will also need new brake levers if you decide to change from V-brakes to dual-pivot Road calipers.

Cantilever brake calipers which are still used on most Cyclocross bikes will give your bike a "custom" appearance ...

• stopping power depends on how they are set up ...
  • and, the pads ...
  • don't forget that you will need different brake levers ... heck, why not put DROP bars on your bike? of course, I recommend you do-it-right & consider Campagnolo shifters

IMO, disc brakes for "Road" bikes are most beneficial if you ride in a wet-or-rainy environment (e.g., Pacific NW, Costa Rica, or any similarly wet venue) or if you are planning a solo, loaded Tour with the bike.