Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring?

Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)

Guest
Hi,

I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have to
replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire chainset
stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you have to replace
the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at least 1000 rides.

Thanks,
Jack

PS - this thread is related to my one below asking "Fractured front cog?"

Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have
> to replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire
> chainset stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you
> have to replace the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at
> least 1000 rides.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack
>
> PS - this thread is related to my one below asking "Fractured front
> cog?"

1000 rides on the same chain?!? Even if you only did a mile on each ride,
that's an awful lot of use out of it. Put it out to pasture.

Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have
> to replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire
> chainset stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you
> have to replace the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at
> least 1000 rides.

Hey Jack,
Your crankset is the kind that is all riveted together. You can't replace
just the inner ring.

Your cogs are worn, as others have said. Replacing the whole drive-side arm
is a good thing to do. Check your local bike shop for a used parts bin and
see if they have any right-hand (drive side) crank bits... you don't need to
buy the left side if it's not in need of repair. And as I said before, make
sure you can replace individual chainrings on it.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Hi Phil,
Sorry, I'm getting my terminology confused again. What I meant to ask is:
will I have to replace my entire drive chain (cassette, chain, crank set)? I
know I'll have to throw out my right crank arm and chain rings.

Thanks,

Jack

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have
> > to replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire
> > chainset stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you
> > have to replace the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at
> > least 1000 rides.

> Hey Jack,
> Your crankset is the kind that is all riveted together. You can't replace
> just the inner ring.
>
> Your cogs are worn, as others have said. Replacing the whole drive-side

arm
> is a good thing to do. Check your local bike shop for a used parts bin

and
> see if they have any right-hand (drive side) crank bits... you don't need

> buy the left side if it's not in need of repair. And as I said before,

make
> sure you can replace individual chainrings on it.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 15:44:37 +0100, "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have to
>replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire chainset
>stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you have to replace
>the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at least 1000 rides.

Maybe.

I'd certainly take a look at the wear on the chain and cassette or
freewheel, but the type of failure you have is not related to wear.
If the chain does not measure as being in need of replacement, there's
no need to trash it. Evaluating the rear sprockets is a little more
subjective, but the guidelines on Sheldon Brown's site provide a place
to start.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.

This applies to bicycles, motorcycles, chainsaws, and anything else where
power is delivered through a chain drive. A new chain, running on a new
sprocket, ideally, makes equal contact with all the teeth that are engaged.
As the chain wears, the pitch increases, so the load is carried more by the
teeth that are just coming into mesh. Of course, the sprocket wears also,
so the load tends to be properly carried by all the teeth. If you now
replace just the chain, the pitch will be shorter than the sprocket pitch,
and all the load will be carried by the teeth that are just going out of
mesh. The wear on the chain and teeth will be rapid. Since the sprocket is
already worn, any metal that it loses will make the problem worse, not
better, so the problem gets worse. The new chain won't last very long.

In practice, chains seem to wear out more rapidly than sprockets, so you can
get away with changing the chain more often than the sprocket. On
chainsaws, the ratio is about three to one. I don't know what it is on
bicycles. On chainsaws, the best practice is to rotate three chains in
service, so they all wear out together, and then replace all three AND the
sprocket. I have never heard of anyone doing this on a bicycle, but,
theoretically, it sounds like a plan.

Comments?

> then replace all three AND the sprocket. I have never heard of
> anyone doing this on a bicycle, but, theoretically, it sounds like a
> plan.

A lot of people do this on their bikes.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have to
> replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire chainset
> stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you have to replace
> the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at least 1000 rides.

Assuming its a modern, not lowest end, crankset, then you can just
replace the chainrings individually. Chainrings wear a long, long
time. Much longer than chains or rear cassettes. On really low end
bikes, the crank and chainrings may all be one piece. Along with the
bottom bracket too. In that case you would have to replace everything
at once. But assuming you bought the bike in the last 10 years and
paid over $300 for it, you can replace the chainrings individually.

However, it may be cheaper to buy an entire new crankset. Individual
chainrings seem to cost about as much as an entire crankset, including
both chainrings.

On 6 Jul 2004 12:24:18 -0700, [email protected] (Russell
Seaton) wrote:

>Assuming its a modern, not lowest end, crankset, then you can just
>replace the chainrings individually.

It's not.

Sunrace Apex; pressed/riveted rings, with the master broken at the
hub.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.

"Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have to
> replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire chainset
> stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you have to replace
> the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at least 1000 rides.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack
>
> PS - this thread is related to my one below asking "Fractured front cog?"

Note that the term "chainset" is usually used to denote left crank,
right crank/spider and chainrings. I think you mean should you change
the whole drive train.

The answer, given the amount of use you have had is probably yes, but
this is unrelated to replacing the chainring.

On the whole chainrings can be replaced without reference to the rest
of the drive train. However, your "1000 rides" will very probably
have worn out your chain, which should be replaced when stretched by
1/8" in a foot. If you have not replaced your chain, it is quite
likely worn beyond this point, and consequently your rear sprockets
will have worn with it to the point that a new chain will very likely
"skip".

My advice would be to measure the chain and replace if needed, if your
new chain skips on the rear sprockets then replace them also. Then
aim to change the chain as it wears out so as to avoid undue sprocket
wear in future.

Andrew Webster

Hi Russell,

Thanks loads for your reply. Actually, my chainset is all one piece (or at
least it was!). It's on my 2002 Trek 4300, for which I paid £400. The
bottom bracket is separate though (but the supplied BB is **** too).

Thanks,

Jack

"Russell Seaton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <[email protected]> wrote in

message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have to
> > replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire

chainset
> > stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you have to

replace
> > the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at least 1000 rides.

> Assuming its a modern, not lowest end, crankset, then you can just
> replace the chainrings individually. Chainrings wear a long, long
> time. Much longer than chains or rear cassettes. On really low end
> bikes, the crank and chainrings may all be one piece. Along with the
> bottom bracket too. In that case you would have to replace everything
> at once. But assuming you bought the bike in the last 10 years and
> paid over $300 for it, you can replace the chainrings individually.
>
> However, it may be cheaper to buy an entire new crankset. Individual
> chainrings seem to cost about as much as an entire crankset, including
> both chainrings.

you should be able to replace the broken chainring w/o any problems.
the rest of your drivetrain should continue to work fine.

Andres

"Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have to
> replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire chainset
> stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you have to replace
> the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at least 1000 rides.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack
>
> PS - this thread is related to my one below asking "Fractured front cog?"

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have to
> > replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire chainset
> > stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you have to replace
> > the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at least 1000 rides.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jack
> >
> > PS - this thread is related to my one below asking "Fractured front cog?"

> Note that the term "chainset" is usually used to denote left crank,
> right crank/spider and chainrings. I think you mean should you change

I thought this was the "crankset"?

newsgroups if possible).

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I've just placed an order for Shimano LX
M571 splined crankset and a 121mm LX ES51 splined BB. Goody!

Jack.

news:[email protected]...

David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > "Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have to
> > > replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire chainset
> > > stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you have to replace
> > > the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at least 1000 rides.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jack
> > >
> > > PS - this thread is related to my one below asking "Fractured front cog?"

> > Note that the term "chainset" is usually used to denote left crank,
> > right crank/spider and chainrings. I think you mean should you change

> I thought this was the "crankset"?

It is. It's the chainset too.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...

> > > Note that the term "chainset" is usually used to denote left crank,
> > > right crank/spider and chainrings. I think you mean should you change

> > I thought this was the "crankset"?

> It is. It's the chainset too.

Ok, thanks; I've never heard the term "chainset" used to mean the same
thing as "crankset".

newsgroups if possible).

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
>Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack) wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have
>> to replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire
>> chainset stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you
>> have to replace the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at
>> least 1000 rides.
>> Thanks,
>> Jack
>> PS - this thread is related to my one below asking "Fractured front
>> cog?"

>1000 rides on the same chain?!? Even if you only did a mile on each ride,
>that's an awful lot of use out of it. Put it out to pasture.

If you are only getting 1k miles from your chain, you are doing something
wrong. I've gotten over 15k miles out of a chain when I sold the bike it
was on. Keeping it clean and lubed is important. If all you do is lube
your dirty chain, then 1k miles is a lot.
-----------
Alex

Wow! What a cross-post list!

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:51:59 -0400, Alex Rodriguez
<[email protected]> wrote:
>If you are only getting 1k miles from your chain, you are doing something
>wrong. I've gotten over 15k miles out of a chain when I sold the bike it
>was on. Keeping it clean and lubed is important. If all you do is lube
>your dirty chain, then 1k miles is a lot.

There was a recent semi-scientific experiment done by one
rec.bicycles person which makes that advice questionable. He used a
chain with two quicklinks; he cleaned & lubed half the chain
regularly, and the other half he just kept adding lube without
cleaning. The cleaned half was slightly (barely) _more_ worn than
the half that was not cleaned.
--
Rick Onanian