Replaceable RD hanger?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Per Elmsäter, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. I just noticed that my Trek 5200 does not have a replaceable Rear Derailer
    hanger. I just had it straightened out with Park Tools alignment tool when I
    noticed.
    http://www.parktool.com/tools/DAG_1.shtml
    However restraightening can only be done so many times and sooner or later,
    preferably later, it may need to be replaced. How is that supposed to be
    done? As far as I can see its molded into the carbon frame.
    Anybody have any experience with this?

    --
    Perre

  2. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...

    >I just noticed that my Trek 5200 does not have a replaceable Rear Derailer
    >hanger. I just had it straightened out with Park Tools alignment tool when I
    >noticed.
    >http://www.parktool.com/tools/DAG_1.shtml
    >However restraightening can only be done so many times and sooner or later,
    >preferably later, it may need to be replaced. How is that supposed to be
    >done? As far as I can see its molded into the carbon frame.
    >Anybody have any experience with this?

    Try not to crash so much. :) Seriously, how many times do you expect to
    crash and damage the drop out? If you crash alot and this was a concern,
    that should have been a requirement when you made your purchase.
    ---------------
    Alex

  3. Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > I just noticed that my Trek 5200 does not have a replaceable Rear
    > Derailer hanger. I just had it straightened out with Park Tools
    > alignment tool when I noticed.
    > http://www.parktool.com/tools/DAG_1.shtml
    > However restraightening can only be done so many times and sooner or
    > later, preferably later, it may need to be replaced. How is that
    > supposed to be done? As far as I can see its molded into the carbon
    > frame.
    > Anybody have any experience with this?

    Ride your MTB more ;)

    In all seriousness, I think that someone here does dropout modifications to
    revitalize otherwise killed-off frames.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > >However restraightening can only be done so many times and sooner or later,
    > >preferably later, it may need to be replaced. How is that supposed to be
    > >done? As far as I can see its molded into the carbon frame.
    > >Anybody have any experience with this?

    > Try not to crash so much. :) Seriously, how many times do you expect to
    > crash and damage the drop out? If you crash alot and this was a concern,
    > that should have been a requirement when you made your purchase.

    One crash could be enough to waste it.

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > says...
    > >

    > >I just noticed that my Trek 5200 does not have a replaceable Rear Derailer
    > >hanger. I just had it straightened out with Park Tools alignment tool when I
    > >noticed.
    > >http://www.parktool.com/tools/DAG_1.shtml
    > >However restraightening can only be done so many times and sooner or later,
    > >preferably later, it may need to be replaced. How is that supposed to be
    > >done? As far as I can see its molded into the carbon frame.
    > >Anybody have any experience with this?

    > Try not to crash so much. :) Seriously, how many times do you expect to
    > crash and damage the drop out? If you crash alot and this was a concern,
    > that should have been a requirement when you made your purchase.
    > ---------------
    > Alex

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

    > Per Elms?er wrote:
    >
    >>I just noticed that my Trek 5200 does not have a replaceable Rear
    >>Derailer hanger. I just had it straightened out with Park Tools
    >>alignment tool when I noticed.
    >>http://www.parktool.com/tools/DAG_1.shtml
    >>However restraightening can only be done so many times and sooner or
    >>later, preferably later, it may need to be replaced. How is that
    >>supposed to be done? As far as I can see its molded into the carbon
    >>frame.
    >>Anybody have any experience with this?

    > Ride your MTB more ;)
    >
    > In all seriousness, I think that someone here does dropout modifications to
    > revitalize otherwise killed-off frames.

    Like this? <http://www.yellowjersey.org/rbe.html>

    Note the limitations on aluminium frame repair (no welding) and carbon
    fiber composite (i.e. Trek 5200) is not mentioned.

    --
    Tom Sherman