Replaceable RD hanger?

Per Elmsäter

Guest
I just noticed that my Trek 5200 does not have a replaceable Rear Derailer
hanger. I just had it straightened out with Park Tools alignment tool when I
noticed.
http://www.parktool.com/tools/DAG_1.shtml
However restraightening can only be done so many times and sooner or later,
preferably later, it may need to be replaced. How is that supposed to be
done? As far as I can see its molded into the carbon frame.
Anybody have any experience with this?

--
Perre

says...

>I just noticed that my Trek 5200 does not have a replaceable Rear Derailer
>hanger. I just had it straightened out with Park Tools alignment tool when I
>noticed.
>http://www.parktool.com/tools/DAG_1.shtml
>However restraightening can only be done so many times and sooner or later,
>preferably later, it may need to be replaced. How is that supposed to be
>done? As far as I can see its molded into the carbon frame.
>Anybody have any experience with this?

Try not to crash so much. :) Seriously, how many times do you expect to
crash and damage the drop out? If you crash alot and this was a concern,
that should have been a requirement when you made your purchase.
---------------
Alex

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> I just noticed that my Trek 5200 does not have a replaceable Rear
> Derailer hanger. I just had it straightened out with Park Tools
> alignment tool when I noticed.
> http://www.parktool.com/tools/DAG_1.shtml
> However restraightening can only be done so many times and sooner or
> later, preferably later, it may need to be replaced. How is that
> supposed to be done? As far as I can see its molded into the carbon
> frame.
> Anybody have any experience with this?

Ride your MTB more ;)

In all seriousness, I think that someone here does dropout modifications to
revitalize otherwise killed-off frames.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> >However restraightening can only be done so many times and sooner or later,
> >preferably later, it may need to be replaced. How is that supposed to be
> >done? As far as I can see its molded into the carbon frame.
> >Anybody have any experience with this?

> Try not to crash so much. :) Seriously, how many times do you expect to
> crash and damage the drop out? If you crash alot and this was a concern,
> that should have been a requirement when you made your purchase.

One crash could be enough to waste it.

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> Per Elms?er wrote:
>
>>I just noticed that my Trek 5200 does not have a replaceable Rear
>>Derailer hanger. I just had it straightened out with Park Tools
>>alignment tool when I noticed.
>>http://www.parktool.com/tools/DAG_1.shtml
>>However restraightening can only be done so many times and sooner or
>>later, preferably later, it may need to be replaced. How is that
>>supposed to be done? As far as I can see its molded into the carbon
>>frame.
>>Anybody have any experience with this?

> Ride your MTB more ;)
>
> In all seriousness, I think that someone here does dropout modifications to
> revitalize otherwise killed-off frames.

Like this? <http://www.yellowjersey.org/rbe.html>

Note the limitations on aluminium frame repair (no welding) and carbon
fiber composite (i.e. Trek 5200) is not mentioned.

--
Tom Sherman