Replacement chain hard to find ...

Jerry C.

Guest
I have a Bianchi circa 1987/1988. It is in good condition save for the chain, which has never been
replaced. My local bike shop told me that they couldn't replace the chain and it would be cost
prohibitive to replace the other related component: rear 6 speed cassette, front dbl chainring. I
have two questions:

1) Can an appropriate chain be found to replace mine?
2) Can more gears be economically added for climbing hills? (new rear derailleur and new rear
cassette??)

Components of my bike: front double chainring - Bianchi 42/52 rear 6 speed cassette - Suntour Winner
Pro BJ 13/24 front derailleur - Campy Nuovo Record ??? rear derailleur - Campy Nuovo Record

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Jerry Cipriano

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:26:24 GMT, "Jerry C." <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a Bianchi circa 1987/1988. It is in good condition save for the chain, which has never been
>replaced. My local bike shop told me that they couldn't replace the chain and it would be cost
>prohibitive to replace the other related component: rear 6 speed cassette, front dbl chainring. I
>have two questions:
>
>1) Can an appropriate chain be found to replace mine?
>2) Can more gears be economically added for climbing hills? (new rear derailleur and new rear
> cassette??)
>
>Components of my bike: front double chainring - Bianchi 42/52 rear 6 speed cassette - Suntour
>Winner Pro BJ 13/24 front derailleur - Campy Nuovo Record ??? rear derailleur - Campy Nuovo Record
>
>Any feedback would be much appreciated.
>
>Jerry Cipriano

Someone at your local shop is sniffing glue...

Parts are still available...

Sheldon would probably be able to help if not try

http://www.bikeville.com/freewheels.html

Hogwash. Any 7/8 speed chain will work fine. SRAM PC-48 is $10-$15.

You could change that 42 to a 39 (or 38 if its 130 BCD) for a little help.

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 00:03:32 GMT, "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hogwash. Any 7/8 speed chain will work fine. SRAM PC-48 is $10-$15.
>
>You could change that 42 to a 39 (or 38 if its 130 BCD) for a little help.

The problem with putting on a new chain is that the rest of the drive train is probably so worn that
nothing will work with the new chain.

The chainwheels are probably older Campy circle size- 144mm? I have a Bianchi from this time period,
and the cranks are labeled 'Bianchi' but are Ofmega copies of Campy. These could be the most
expensive part of the rebuild. 41 or 42 teeth is the smallest that will fit. A new crank set could
be the cleanest way to deal with this.

Freewheels are available, six speeds. Be careful about putting a seven speed on- I couldn't get one
to fit my Bianchi.

If indexing isn't an issue, any derailleur will work. Just check the maximum rear sprocket it
will handle.

And find another bike shop. The one you talked to is NOT the one to help you with this.

>"Jerry C." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I have a Bianchi circa 1987/1988. It is in good condition save for the chain, which has never
>> been replaced. My local bike shop told me that they couldn't replace the chain and it would be
>> cost prohibitive to replace the other related component: rear 6 speed cassette, front dbl
>> chainring. I have two questions:
>>
>> 1) Can an appropriate chain be found to replace mine?
>> 2) Can more gears be economically added for climbing hills? (new rear derailleur and new rear
>> cassette??)
>>
>> Components of my bike: front double chainring - Bianchi 42/52 rear 6 speed cassette -
>> Suntour Winner Pro BJ 13/24 front derailleur - Campy Nuovo Record ??? rear derailleur -
>> Campy Nuovo Record
>>
>> Any feedback would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Jerry Cipriano

jerryci-<< I have a Bianchi circa 1987/1988 << My local bike shop told me that they couldn't replace
the chain and it would be cost prohibitive to replace the other related component: rear 6 speed
cassette, front dbl chainring. I have two questions:

Use a Sram PC-48, any 7s casette with one cog removed and any chainrinmgs(like Sugino for
about $18 per)

To add cogs, you need a new freehub body for the rear wheel. You are friction, see above, not
expensive.

Peter,

I was thinking of phoning you. I have a couple of questions now that you have replied.

Jerry C.
--------------------

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> jerryci-<< I have a Bianchi circa 1987/1988 << My local bike shop told me that they couldn't
> replace the chain and it would be cost prohibitive to replace the other related component: rear 6
> speed cassette, front dbl chainring. I have two questions:
>
> Use a Sram PC-48, any 7s casette with one cog removed and any chainrinmgs(like Sugino for about
> $18 per)
>
> To add cogs, you need a new freehub body for the rear wheel. You are friction, see above, not
> expensive.

Dan,

I believe your answer is very helpful, partially because you have a similar bike, and your answer
seems to understand what the local bike shop technician was thinking (right or wrong). I'm working
under the assumption that they are not stupid and are not lying to me to coerce me to buy a new
bike. They are probably ignorant of alternative fixes or sources for parts. I didn't elaborate on
the bike shop technicians comments, but he did mention something about how the worn components had
changed tolerances (or something like that), and he couldn't get that chain or some other part any
more. I should have remembered the specifics of what he said better.

Indexing isn't an issue. I understand you to be suggesting a new front sprocket (perhaps 41/52), a
new chain, and a new bike shop. There is a chance that a new 7 speed cassette in the rear will not
fit. Due to wear on my current 6 spd cassette, will a new cassette (either 6 or 7 speed) be required
if I change the chain?

Jerry C.
---------------------------------

---------------------------
>>>"Jerry C." <[email protected]> wrote in ORIGINAL message
>>>
>>>I have a Bianchi circa 1987/1988. It is in good condition save for the chain, which has never
>>>been replaced. My local bike shop told me that they couldn't replace the chain and it would be
>>>cost prohibitive to replace the other related component: rear 6 speed cassette, front dbl
>>>chainring. I have two questions:
>>>
>>>1) Can an appropriate chain be found to replace mine?
>>>2) Can more gears be economically added for climbing hills? (new rear derailleur and new rear
>>> cassette??)
>>>
>>>Components of my bike: front double chainring - Bianchi 42/52 rear 6 speed cassette -
>>>Suntour Winner Pro BJ 13/24 front derailleur - Campy Nuovo Record ??? rear derailleur -
>>>Campy Nuovo Record
>>>
>>>Any feedback would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>>Jerry Cipriano

"Jerry C." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a Bianchi circa 1987/1988. It is in good condition save for the chain, which has never been
> replaced. My local bike shop told me that they couldn't replace the chain and it would be cost
> prohibitive to replace the other related component: rear 6 speed cassette, front dbl chainring. I
> have two questions:
>
> 1) Can an appropriate chain be found to replace mine?
> 2) Can more gears be economically added for climbing hills? (new rear derailleur and new rear
> cassette??)
>
> Components of my bike: front double chainring - Bianchi 42/52 rear 6 speed cassette - Suntour
> Winner Pro BJ 13/24 front derailleur - Campy Nuovo Record ??? rear derailleur - Campy Nuovo Record
>
> Any feedback would be much appreciated.
>
> Jerry Cipriano

Is your rear wheel for freewheel or cassette? You say cassette but I'm fairly certain it is a
freewheel. Chains for six speed are readliy available ( KMC) and cheap. Six speed freewheels abound,
$19.95 and up

If it is indeed a Suntour Cassette ( which I doubt) build a new wheel with a modern cassette, seven
being the most supported and affordable.

Andrew,

I don't know the difference between a freewheel and a cassette. I'm using lingo that I picked up
here in RBT and I'm hoping I'm using it correctly. Inside the smallest toothed gear is an
independent cylinder with "Suntour Winner Pro BJ" printed on it.

Regarding a 7 spd cassette, there is approximately 1/2" space (with a bearing in it?) between my
smallest gear and the inside of the frame.

Jerry Cipriano
---------------------------------

> Is your rear wheel for freewheel or cassette? You say cassette but I'm fairly certain it is a
> freewheel. Chains for six speed are readliy available ( KMC) and cheap. Six speed freewheels
> abound, $19.95 and up
>
> If it is indeed a Suntour Cassette ( which I doubt) build a new wheel with a modern cassette,
> seven being the most supported and affordable.
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org

Andrew,

I just spoke to Peter Chisholm on the phone and he clarified what you already suspected. I have a 6
spd FREEWHEEL. Ergo, my understanding is that I need a new chain (KMC, Sugino), 6- or 7-speed
freewheel (Shimano, Falcon, Sachs), and (depending on wear) crankshaft.

My remaining question: I currently have a Bianchi 42/52 crankshaft. I don't believe a triple crank
will fit. To make hills a little easier, would it make a NOTICEABLE difference to replace the 42/52
crank with a
41/52 and make a similar but small change in the freewheel gearing? Or is it better to keep the
crankshaft front gearing the same and simply change the gearing on the freewheel. What is the
maximum recommended gear ratios for a 6 speed freewheel and a 7 speed freewheel (if it fits)?

Jerry C.

Jerry C. wrote:

> I don't know the difference between a freewheel and a cassette.

This is actually an important distinction when you're looking for replacement parts.

I have an article on how to tell the difference: http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

> Inside the smallest toothed gear is an independent cylinder with "Suntour Winner Pro BJ"
> printed on it.

You're in luck, it's a freewheel! Any common freewheel with the same number of sprockets will work.
See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html

Sheldon "Problem Solved" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
| Any priest or shaman must be presumed | guilty until proved innocent. | --Robert A. Heinlein |
+----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

Rule of thumb I follow is replace the chain first. If that doesn't fix whatever problem you're
having (skipping, etc), then replace the freewheel/chainrings. Unless of course you KNOW these are
worn badly.

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 20:28:20 GMT, "Jerry C." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dan,
>
>I believe your answer is very helpful, partially because you have a similar bike, and your answer
>seems to understand what the local bike shop technician was thinking (right or wrong). I'm working
>under the assumption that they are not stupid and are not lying to me to coerce me to buy a new
>bike. They are probably ignorant of alternative fixes or sources for parts.

Or they know full well where to get the parts, but are trying to scare you from entering into a full
replacement of your drive train? It can be a slippery slope- what starts as a new chain turns into a
new everything, and you might as well do the bottom bracket while you are at it :)

Price out a full drivetrain, and be prepared to spend up to that amount. If you want lower gearing,
price out new cranks and derailleurs, also.

> I didn't elaborate on the bike shop technicians comments, but he did mention something about how
> the worn components had changed tolerances (or something like that), and he couldn't get that
> chain or some other part any more. I should have remembered the specifics of what he said better.

And the wear is why you need to be prepared to change everything- chain and freewheel certainly. The
chainrings will possibly still work, but new ones will be much better.

>Indexing isn't an issue. I understand you to be suggesting a new front sprocket (perhaps 41/52), a
>new chain, and a new bike shop. There is a chance that a new 7 speed cassette in the rear will not
>fit. Due to wear on my current 6 spd cassette, will a new cassette (either 6 or 7 speed) be
>required if I change the chain?
>
>Jerry C.

Yep, plan on a new chain and freewheel (Suntour Pro Winner is a freewheel, not a casette).

As to getting a lower gear, it is going to be hard if the chainrings are the old Campy 144mm.