replacement chain question

R Zych

Guest
I need to replace my chains on my road and tour bike. My road bike has a KMC Z 72 chain and my tour
bike has SACHS SC 40 . What is a good choice for a replacment I was thinking SRAM PC68 for the tour
bike and SRAM PC 69 am I making a good choice?

Thanx Zyggy

R Zych wrote:
> I need to replace my chains on my road and tour bike. My road bike has a KMC Z 72 chain and my
> tour bike has SACHS SC 40 . What is a good choice for a replacment I was thinking SRAM PC68 for
> the tour bike and SRAM PC 69 am I making a good choice?
>
> Thanx Zyggy

Yes. PC69 is 9 speed, is your bike ? If not go for a cheaper 6/7/8 speed one.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

ziggy-<< My road bike has a KMC Z 72 chain and my tour bike has SACHS SC 40 . What is a good choice
for a replacment I was thinking SRAM PC68 for the tour bike and SRAM PC 69 am I making a good
choice? >><BR><BR>

Use the least expensive compatible chain. For a 8s..Sram PC-48, for 9s PC-59..plating and such does
nuthin for durability or function.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Use the least expensive compatible chain. For a 8s..Sram PC-48, for 9s PC-59..plating and such
> does nuthin for durability or function.
I once bought an El-Cheapo SRAM or SACHS chain, but I found that shifting went less smoothly
than with an original Shim...(Sorry!) chain. The lateral movement went easier with the more
expensive chain.

Do you agree or do you think this is between the ears, dottore Campa?

Greets, Derk

Peter Chisolm wrote:

> Use the least expensive compatible chain. For a 8s..Sram PC-48, for 9s PC-59..plating and such
> does nuthin for durability or function.

FWIW, I tried the PC-48 and found it noisy and sloppy to shift. I went back to the PC-58, which is
not that much more expensive. I attribute the difference to tighter manufacturing tolerances.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> We have used DA thru 105 chains and PC-48 thru Rohloffs and I see/feel no difference.
Now that you mention Rohloff: I just bought another 8 speed Rohloff, because I had bad memories of
my former 9 speed Rohloff chains that rattled a lot after about 500 km's.I waant to check this again
and I'll give a very honest review about the Rohloff in spite of the fact I fear that horrible
rattling noise already!

Greets from misty Holland, Derk

> Now that you mention Rohloff: I just bought another 8 speed Rohloff, because I had bad memories of
> my former 9 speed Rohloff chains that rattled a lot after about 500 km's.I waant to check this
> again and I'll give a very honest review about the Rohloff in spite of the fact I fear that
> horrible rattling noise already!
>
> Greets from misty Holland, Derk

I'm a little mystified by your rattling chains, Derk. The only time I hear a noise like that is when
the derailer adjustment is off, so that the chain's side plates strike the sprockets. Otherwise, the
only noise is from the chain running over the small derailer sprockets. If there is no derailer and
the chainline is good, any chain is nearly silent.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

"R Zych" <[email protected]> writes:

>I need to replace my chains on my road and tour bike. My road bike has a KMC Z 72 chain and my tour
>bike has SACHS SC 40 . What is a good choice for a replacment I was thinking SRAM PC68 for the tour
>bike and SRAM PC 69 am I making a good choice?

Do Wipperman chains really work ?? In other words, will a stainless steel chain really last twice as
long, given the same maintenance. If my bike already has a Phil Wood Bottom Bracket, and a Chris
King headset, should I get a Wipperman chain ??

- Don Gillies San Diego, CA

Ted Bennett wrote:

> I'm a little mystified by your rattling chains, Derk.
I know, nobody here believes me, though these chains were recently also trashed on the German BBS of
TOUR Magazin by other cyclists.

> The only time I hear a noise like that is when the derailer adjustment is off, so that the chain's
> side plates strike the sprockets.
That's not it, though it would be a logical explanation since these chains are a bit wider than
others. All 9S Rohloffs I used started making this noice after 500km's. First you didn't hear them
at all and suddenly it started. I had my whole bike checked and it only disappeared after mounting
another chain. Then it started again after 500km....Maybe it was a bad series?

> Otherwise, the only noise is from the chain running over the small derailer sprockets. If there
> is no derailer and the chainline is good, any chain is nearly silent.
I know, I Know.....but the 2 I had here weren't. I have never had these problems with other chains.

Speaking about chains: I always buy Dura-Ace chains from a cheap Internet store. These chains are
different from the ones I buy locally, because when I take them out of plastic they smell bad. THey
smell like someone used thinner on them.

Does anyone know if there's something like 2nd choice chains?

Greets, Derk

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> ziggy-<< My road bike has a KMC Z 72 chain and my tour bike has SACHS SC 40 . What is a good
> choice for a replacment I was thinking SRAM PC68 for the tour bike and SRAM PC 69 am I making a
> good choice? >><BR><BR>
>
> Use the least expensive compatible chain. For a 8s..Sram PC-48, for 9s PC-59..plating and such
> does nuthin for durability or function.

But the holes in the side plates of the SRAM PC-89R [1] look really cool. ;)

[1] <http://www.sram.com/road/chain/index.asp>.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Tom Sherman wrote:

> But the holes in the side plates of the SRAM PC-89R [1] look really cool.
And are probably harder to clean, because mud and oil build up in these holes. ;-)

Greets, Derk

I think a lot of people spand too much for chains, like they spend too much for a 'boutique' oil for
their car. Get the proper oil wt/chain dimension, the cheapest. Keep both clean(new filter for the
car, clean the chain/cogs for a chain) and change BEFORE they are wasted.

"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote

> Do Wipperman chains really work ?? In other words, will a stainless steel chain really last twice
> as long, given the same maintenance.

No, since stainless isn't harder, and corrosion isn't (usually) a lifetime determiner.

> If my bike already has a Phil Wood Bottom Bracket, and a Chris King headset, should I get a
> Wipperman chain ??

Absolutely! That's the disposable income hat trick.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> tom-<< But the holes in the side plates of the SRAM PC-89R [1] look really cool. ;) >><BR><BR>
>
> The 'odd' thing about the -89R is that it is so narrow, 6.2mm, and is really a good replacement
> chain for -10s. It may be a little thin for 9s(most are in the
> 6.7/8mm range).

Does anyone know what the weight savings (per unit length) of the PC-89R is compared to the lower
price SRAM 9-speed chains?

Tom "300 links in my chain" Sherman - Quad Cities

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:47:43 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
>> tom-<< But the holes in the side plates of the SRAM PC-89R [1] look really cool. ;) >><BR><BR>
>>
>> The 'odd' thing about the -89R is that it is so narrow, 6.2mm, and is really a good replacement
>> chain for -10s. It may be a little thin for 9s(most are in the
>> 6.7/8mm range).
>
>Does anyone know what the weight savings (per unit length) of the PC-89R is compared to the lower
>price SRAM 9-speed chains?
>
>Tom "300 links in my chain" Sherman - Quad Cities

http://www.geocities.com/kwanseng/weight.html#chains

CHAIN MAKE & MODEL 1 LINK 108 LINKS WIDTH COMMENTS SRAM PC89R 2.58g 279g Sedis SC-R80 2.76g 298g
silver, narrow 8 speed Sachs SC M 55 2.76g 298g 7.11 sil/blk, square riveted Sachs PC41 2.76g 298g
7.16 gry/blk, step riveted, 8s Sachs/Sedis PG 2.77g 299g 7.11 sil/blk, step riveted