Replacement chainrings

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris Harris, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Chris Harris

    Chris Harris Guest

    I have noticed that the chainrings on my touring bike have become very worn and would like to
    replace them. They are marked Shimano SG, the sizes are D-48, D-38, D-28. Could anyone recommend
    some suitable replacements?

    Thanks

    Chris

    Tags:

  2. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    Chris Harris wrote:
    > I have noticed that the chainrings on my touring bike have become very worn and would like to
    > replace them. They are marked Shimano SG, the sizes are D-48, D-38, D-28. Could anyone recommend
    > some suitable replacements?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Chris

    It'll probably be cheaper to just buy new cranks.

    Kenny Lee

  3. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "Chris Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have noticed that the chainrings on my touring bike have become very worn and would like to
    > replace them. They are marked Shimano SG, the sizes are D-48, D-38, D-28. Could anyone recommend
    > some suitable replacements?

    I've been looking to replace some chainrings too ... freaking expensive. The cheapest I've seen
    consistently would be about $30 - $35 for the set (plus shipping). Occasionally there are sales ...
    Nashbar recently had a sale on their chainrings at $3 a pop, however I called immediately and my
    sizes were all sold out.

    Is it winter where you are now (and are you riding)? If you're not going to be riding until spring,
    I'd suggest waiting and look for sales, if any come up then snag them. If not, it may indeed be
    cheaper to buy a whole new crank set.

    C.Q.C.

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:01:49 +0000, Chris Harris <[email protected]>
    may have said:

    >I have noticed that the chainrings on my touring bike have become very worn and would like to
    >replace them. They are marked Shimano SG, the sizes are D-48, D-38, D-28. Could anyone recommend
    >some suitable replacements?

    If you need just one sprocket, there are lots of choices available, including genuine Shimano. If
    you need all three, I think you'll discover that a mid-price crank set complete with chainrings will
    be cheaper. The 48 tooth large sprocket is more typically found on a mountain bike than a tourer in
    my experience, so you'll probably have better luck looking for a crank set in that market. Depending
    on how they line up, you may or may not need to replace the bottom bracket in order to use the
    replacement cranks. (Be aware that there are differences in the bottom bracket shaft on some bikes,
    though; you most likely are looking at a crank that has a square-taper "shimano style" mount; ISIS
    and Octalink cranks definitely won't work with your existing bottom bracket, and most Campagnolo square-
    taper cranks will look like they'll work, but they'd be wrong. If you buy a bottom bracket to match
    the cranks, then any type can be installed.)

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  5. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:50:27 +0800, Kenny Lee <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Chris Harris wrote:
    >> I have noticed that the chainrings on my touring bike have become very worn and would like to
    >> replace them. They are marked Shimano SG, the sizes are D-48, D-38, D-28. Could anyone recommend
    >> some suitable replacements?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Chris
    >
    >It'll probably be cheaper to just buy new cranks.

    Which cranksets come 48/38/28?

  6. Kenny Lee wrote:

    > It'll probably be cheaper to just buy new cranks.

    Seconded. Sell me the cranks if they're 165's.

    You may want to look at Sugino chainsets because they do touring sets with bigger chainrings. All
    Shimano stuff (except possibly the exorbitantly priced XTR) is compact drive these days.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Paul Kopit wrote:
    > Which cranksets come 48/38/28?

    Shimano TY-30 for $40

    Sugino XD with a $10 upgrade

    And he didn't say it couldn't be just similar, like a 26-36-48.