Replacement Derailleur for Vintage/Ancient Bike

Bob42

Apr 16, 2006
My dad's ancient Raleigh Magnum has died a horrible death, in that its derailleur has been ripped off. The mech hanger is still intact, but its derailleur is off. It's a Shimano, about 30 years old, and he is intent on replacing it rather than buying something less ancient. Is there anywhere that does seriously ancient, 5 speed derailleurs? Internet or shop, or someone with an ancient derailleur they no longer want.

Bob42 said:
My dad's ancient Raleigh Magnum has died a horrible death, in that its derailleur has been ripped off. The mech hanger is still intact, but its derailleur is off. It's a Shimano, about 30 years old, and he is intent on replacing it rather than buying something less ancient. Is there anywhere that does seriously ancient, 5 speed derailleurs? Internet or shop, or someone with an ancient derailleur they no longer want.
Try your LBS - some of them will keep a spare parts bin that has all manner of weird stuff in it, and they'll most likley offer it to you for free or next to nothing (if they have it).

HTH,

n

Unless you are looking for historically accurate, many old derailleurs will do... Assuming it is friction shifting. If it is indexed, then your options are still open as long as you stay with a derailleur with the same "pull" (usually means the same brand).

What I did on one bike was buy one of these and use it to install a Shimano 600 RD on an old bike.
http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Derailleur&sc=Rear%20Hanger&tc=&item_id=LS-1701PD&id=11384739561

On Bikeforums.net there is a Classic & Vintage forum, and searching there may provide some answers for sources... There are other forums that attract vintage owners, but I don't remember any of them off the top of my head.

I would also, search the thrift stores for an old bike with a similar derailleur... I have done the same when I was looking for old wheels and found a nice set.

eBay is also a good source for these easy to ship parts if you find one that is functional and the specific model is not in high demand...

I'm with dgregory, those old rear derailleurs are pretty interchangeable. Just take note of how it attaches to the bike frame's dropouts and make sure the frame's not damaged.

Thirty years is old for a bike enthusiast's bike but it is common for garage sales and thrift stores.

P.S. do you recall if the derailleur had a name on it? What does the front one say?

5-speed doesn't matter. The things to look for are big cog capability and slack take up. If your dad's bike has a 34 tooth biggest cog, as was common back then, you'll need a mountain bike derailleur for it.