Replacement elastomers for old Manitou 3???

Alex Zeltser

Guest
Does anyone have any idea where I could possibly find replacement elastomers for my old reliable Manitou 3 (circa '93)? I (to my
shame) haven't ridden that bike in a year an a half and now noticed that the fork is really stiff. Pulling out the elastomer stems
showed that the little elastomer bumpers have really stiffened up. The local bike shop guy said you can't get them any more... I
really like that fork (plus, am a little hesitant to shell out $300+ for a new one ;-) ) and am hoping to just be able to replace
the elastomers. Any ideas anyone? Help!

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Alex Zeltser wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea where I could possibly find replacement
> elastomers for my old reliable Manitou 3 (circa '93)? I (to my
> shame) haven't ridden that bike in a year an a half and now noticed
> that the fork is really stiff. Pulling out the elastomer stems
> showed that the little elastomer bumpers have really stiffened up.
> The local bike shop guy said you can't get them any more... I really
> like that fork (plus, am a little hesitant to shell out $300+ for a
> new one ;-) ) and am hoping to just be able to replace the
> elastomers. Any ideas anyone? Help!

Check around for "Speed Springs" (or maybe Mountain Springs?), which can be
installed in place of elastomers for a MUCH better fork action. (There are
also air cartridge inserts, but not sure if they'd work in that old of a
shock.)

Better yet, take a crowbar to that coin purse and buy yourself a decent fork
on closeout. Today's technology is way advanced compared to the early '90s.

Bill "Manitou Mach 5 almost killed me" S.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:42:24 GMT, "S o r n i"
<[email protected]> blathered:

>> Does anyone have any idea where I could possibly find replacement
>> elastomers for my old reliable Manitou 3 (circa '93)?
>> Any ideas anyone? Help!

>Check around for "Speed Springs" (or maybe Mountain Springs?)
>
>Better yet, take a crowbar to that coin purse and buy yourself a decent fork

Sorni was right the second time. I'm amazed there still any left; the
stanchions must be an interesting hourglass shape by now, you could
practically see daylight through mine within a year's riding. They got
skipped, and put me off suspension so much I spent the next couple of
years back on rigid forks.

Get a modern set of shorter travel forks - even cheap ones will
be a revelation after Manitou IIIs.

Pete

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:42:24 GMT, S o r n i wrote:

> Better yet, take a crowbar to that coin purse and buy yourself a decent fork
> on closeout. Today's technology is way advanced compared to the early '90s.

The bad thing about replacing forks is, it means replacing brakes, which
means replacing levers, which usually means replacing shifters, etc etc.

> Bill "Manitou Mach 5 almost killed me" S.

Is that one of the old elastometer-only models? I still have a "Magnum" on
my older bike (now just a cruiser). No dampening whatsoever; it'd be like
a pogo stick on jump landings - and if I didn't land the jump with the
bike very straight, it'd shoot me off in some sideways direction. That was
always a little exciting.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

BB wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:42:24 GMT, S o r n i wrote:
>
>> Better yet, take a crowbar to that coin purse and buy yourself a
>> decent fork on closeout. Today's technology is way advanced
>> compared to the early '90s.

> The bad thing about replacing forks is, it means replacing brakes,
> which means replacing levers, which usually means replacing
> shifters, etc etc.

Yeah, forgot about all that. Whole new bike?!?

>> Bill "Manitou Mach 5 almost killed me" S.

> Is that one of the old elastometer-only models? I still have a
> "Magnum" on my older bike (now just a cruiser). No dampening
> whatsoever; it'd be like a on jump landings - and if I
> didn't land the jump with the bike very straight, it'd shoot me off
> in some sideways direction. That was always a little exciting.

Yeah, big ol' pencil erasers. Damn thing would just STICK! when I hit
something, stopping me dead in tracks OR throwing me over bars. Even after
they recalled it, the new version was just as bad. (Recall was due to
separating lowers, IIRC.)

Bill "and what is this 'jumping' to which you refer?" S.

Cool; thanks for the suggestions. Anyone care to recommend a good fork for around $250 or so? Something stiff and not too
pogo-stickish?

Thanks!

Alex

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Alex Zeltser wrote:
> > Does anyone have any idea where I could possibly find replacement
> > elastomers for my old reliable Manitou 3 (circa '93)? I (to my
> > shame) haven't ridden that bike in a year an a half and now noticed
> > that the fork is really stiff. Pulling out the elastomer stems
> > showed that the little elastomer bumpers have really stiffened up.
> > The local bike shop guy said you can't get them any more... I really
> > like that fork (plus, am a little hesitant to shell out $300+ for a
> > new one ;-) ) and am hoping to just be able to replace the
> > elastomers. Any ideas anyone? Help!

> Check around for "Speed Springs" (or maybe Mountain Springs?), which can be
> installed in place of elastomers for a MUCH better fork action. (There are
> also air cartridge inserts, but not sure if they'd work in that old of a
> shock.)
>
> Better yet, take a crowbar to that coin purse and buy yourself a decent fork
> on closeout. Today's technology is way advanced compared to the early '90s.
>
> Bill "Manitou Mach 5 almost killed me" S.

Alex Zeltser top-posted:
> Cool; thanks for the suggestions. Anyone care to recommend a good
> fork for around $250 or so? Something stiff and not too
> pogo-stickish?

Lots of choices -- check any of the mail order joints for closeout deals; or
go to your local bike shop and see what they have in stock (especially if
you need help w/installation).

Keep in mind what Blaine mentioned, however: if you're currently using
cantilever brakes, you'll either have to upgrade to V-brakes or find an
aftermarket "hanger" to keep the cantis. (Check Sheldon Brown's site for
ideas.)

Bill "it's never easy, is it?" S.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:57:39 +0000, S o r n i wrote:

> Keep in mind what Blaine mentioned, however: if you're currently using
> cantilever brakes, you'll either have to upgrade to V-brakes or find an
> aftermarket "hanger" to keep the cantis. (Check Sheldon Brown's site for
> ideas.)

Headset size? If it's circa '93 then the OP will probably be looking for a
1" steerer.