Replacement for my Santa Cruz Heckler?

Daz N

Guest
Hi,

I have a Santa Cruz Heckler which is now about 4-5 years old. Nothing is
original on the bike, it's been built from things like Chris King headset,
X-Lite stem, Pace forks, Roox cranks, Middleburn rings, Hope discs / bulb
hubs, etc, etc...

Anyway I think it's time to change and I don't know what to look for?

Perhaps a new Heckler but with a standard XT groupset on it? Perhaps a
Heckler frame and swap my bits?

What frames are a good alternative? I used to own a Turner Burner and this
was a nice bike, I notice Kona do one similar, are they any good?

Thanks in advance

Daz

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:21:56 +0000, Daz N wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Santa Cruz Heckler which is now about 4-5 years old. Nothing is
> original on the bike, it's been built from things like Chris King headset,
> X-Lite stem, Pace forks, Roox cranks, Middleburn rings, Hope discs / bulb
> hubs, etc, etc...
>
> Anyway I think it's time to change and I don't know what to look for?
>
> Perhaps a new Heckler but with a standard XT groupset on it? Perhaps a
> Heckler frame and swap my bits?
>
> What frames are a good alternative? I used to own a Turner Burner and this
> was a nice bike, I notice Kona do one similar, are they any good?

The Heckler of old isn't really the same beast as today. So what are you
looking for? Fast FS XC / trail machine? Turner Burner's are still highly
rated, and I'd go for that over an equivalent Kona (but you'll pay a
premium). Then there's the Santa Cruz Superlight (kind of like the old
Heckler), Titus Racer X, Orange Sub 5, Marin Mount Vision, Intense VXP,
Specialized Epic / FSR... I'm sure others can think of some more.

In most cases, you should be able to switch over most of your kit,
although if your Pace forks are a couple of years old, they're likely to
offer an unbalanced ride with your new-fangled rear suspension technology.

I'd go with a Giant VT2... Oh wait i have :) lol :) if i didn't get that
i'd go with Titus Racer X.

CS
04 VT2

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:21:56 +0000, Daz N wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Santa Cruz Heckler which is now about 4-5 years old. Nothing

is
> > original on the bike, it's been built from things like Chris King

headset,
> > X-Lite stem, Pace forks, Roox cranks, Middleburn rings, Hope discs /

bulb
> > hubs, etc, etc...
> >
> > Anyway I think it's time to change and I don't know what to look for?
> >
> > Perhaps a new Heckler but with a standard XT groupset on it? Perhaps a
> > Heckler frame and swap my bits?
> >
> > What frames are a good alternative? I used to own a Turner Burner and

this
> > was a nice bike, I notice Kona do one similar, are they any good?

> The Heckler of old isn't really the same beast as today. So what are you
> looking for? Fast FS XC / trail machine? Turner Burner's are still highly
> rated, and I'd go for that over an equivalent Kona (but you'll pay a
> premium). Then there's the Santa Cruz Superlight (kind of like the old
> Heckler), Titus Racer X, Orange Sub 5, Marin Mount Vision, Intense VXP,
> Specialized Epic / FSR... I'm sure others can think of some more.
>
> In most cases, you should be able to switch over most of your kit,
> although if your Pace forks are a couple of years old, they're likely to
> offer an unbalanced ride with your new-fangled rear suspension technology.

"Daz N" <darren(AT)nicholl.me.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Santa Cruz Heckler which is now about 4-5 years old. Nothing is
> original on the bike, it's been built from things like Chris King headset,
> X-Lite stem, Pace forks, Roox cranks, Middleburn rings, Hope discs / bulb
> hubs, etc, etc...
>
> Anyway I think it's time to change and I don't know what to look for?
>
> Perhaps a new Heckler but with a standard XT groupset on it? Perhaps a
> Heckler frame and swap my bits?
>
> What frames are a good alternative? I used to own a Turner Burner and
> this was a nice bike, I notice Kona do one similar, are they any good?

Titus Moto-Lite looks pretty sweet

> Thanks in advance
>
> Daz

"Daz N" <darren(AT)nicholl.me.uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> What frames are a good alternative?

Ventana El Chamuco, if you can find one.

JD

"Chris K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Daz N" <darren(AT)nicholl.me.uk> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Santa Cruz Heckler which is now about 4-5 years old. Nothing is
> > original on the bike, it's been built from things like Chris King headset,
> > X-Lite stem, Pace forks, Roox cranks, Middleburn rings, Hope discs / bulb
> > hubs, etc, etc...
> >
> > Anyway I think it's time to change and I don't know what to look for?
> >
> > Perhaps a new Heckler but with a standard XT groupset on it? Perhaps a
> > Heckler frame and swap my bits?
> >
> > What frames are a good alternative? I used to own a Turner Burner and
> > this was a nice bike, I notice Kona do one similar, are they any good?

> Titus Moto-Lite looks pretty sweet

Like a candy cane? Who would want to lick a bicycle to see what it tastes like?

JD

Try a Gemini

"Daz N" <darren(AT)nicholl.me.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Santa Cruz Heckler which is now about 4-5 years old. Nothing is
> original on the bike, it's been built from things like Chris King headset,
> X-Lite stem, Pace forks, Roox cranks, Middleburn rings, Hope discs / bulb
> hubs, etc, etc...
>
> Anyway I think it's time to change and I don't know what to look for?
>
> Perhaps a new Heckler but with a standard XT groupset on it? Perhaps a
> Heckler frame and swap my bits?
>
> What frames are a good alternative? I used to own a Turner Burner and

this
> was a nice bike, I notice Kona do one similar, are they any good?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Daz

> "Chris K" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Daz N" <darren(AT)nicholl.me.uk> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a Santa Cruz Heckler which is now about 4-5 years old. Nothing

is
> > > original on the bike, it's been built from things like Chris King

headset,
> > > X-Lite stem, Pace forks, Roox cranks, Middleburn rings, Hope discs /

bulb
> > > hubs, etc, etc...
> > >
> > > Anyway I think it's time to change and I don't know what to look for?
> > >
> > > Perhaps a new Heckler but with a standard XT groupset on it? Perhaps

> > > Heckler frame and swap my bits?
> > >
> > > What frames are a good alternative? I used to own a Turner Burner and
> > > this was a nice bike, I notice Kona do one similar, are they any good?

> > Titus Moto-Lite looks pretty sweet

> Like a candy cane? Who would want to lick a bicycle to see what it tastes

like?

> JD

Hey JD,

Have you hugged your kid today, this week, this month, this year?

BBBWWAAHHAA