Replacement for old 600EX derailleur

supergrill

Feb 24, 2004
I just had a bad mishap that totally trashed an old Shimano 600 rear derailleur on a 6-speed SIS setup. (circa 1986) What options, if any, do I have for replacing the derailleur? Thanks.

Originally posted by supergrill
I just had a bad mishap that totally trashed an old Shimano 600 rear derailleur on a 6-speed SIS setup. (circa 1986) What options, if any, do I have for replacing the derailleur? Thanks.

1) Cheap option:

Ebay - search for "600 rear derailleur" or something like that. OK, I just tried it and there were 7 hits.

To see how much you will end up paying click the "Completed Listings" checkbox on the left hand side of the screen. Prices range from $5 - $25.

2) Less cheap option:

replace the rear wheel with one that has a 8 or 9 speed cassette, then add a modern derailleur.

3) Expensive option:

New bike

My vote is for option number 3!

Originally posted by Randybaker99
1) Cheap option:

Ebay - search for "600 rear derailleur" or something like that. OK, I just tried it and there were 7 hits.

To see how much you will end up paying click the "Completed Listings" checkbox on the left hand side of the screen. Prices range from $5 - $25.

2) Less cheap option:

replace the rear wheel with one that has a 8 or 9 speed cassette, then add a modern derailleur.

3) Expensive option:

New bike

My vote is for option number 3!

Thanks. This an old beater bike, not my main ride so #3 is not an option, and 126mm rear so #2 is out. I was hoping that the cable-pull spacing would be close enough to some low-end current unit to just pick up locally.

I was hoping that the cable-pull spacing would be close enough to some low-end current unit to just pick up locally.
correctomento. Any current shimano will work. Other than a pre 9 speed dura Ace(that's the one with the non compatible throw ratio.)

Originally posted by Randybaker99
1)

2) Less cheap option:

How about a chain and shifters to go with that too....FWIW, a modern RD will work.

Just bunging a modern derailleur on there, as boudreaux suggests, sounds like the best option to me, but FWIW if you decide to stick an 8 or 9 speed wheel/cassette on there, the frame's 126mm spacing probably won't be an issue, especially if the frame is steel. Just ease the dropouts apart a little and plop the 130mm hub in. 2mm on each side isn't much to ask.

Originally posted by boudreaux
correctomento. Any current shimano will work. Other than a pre 9 speed dura Ace(that's the one with the non compatible throw ratio.)

Boudreaux: Thanks. I was hoping that that would be possible. Just wasn't sure if the old 6208 shifter's spacing would result in the same throw on the newbies. So I take it that as long as I stay away from the 7400 series, I should be okay. (assuming that I didn't bugger the hanger to much.)
BTW what are the compatability issues with replacing the old Uniglide chain for the above setup with something that is currently available? Thanks again.

mjw_byrne; re: Spreading is probably iffy on this frame as it is an old Cannondale. Al with really fat chainstays.

Boudreaux: Thanks. I was hoping that that would be possible. Just wasn't sure if the old 6208 shifter's spacing would result in the same throw on the newbies. So I take it that as long as I stay away from the 7400 series, I should be okay. (assuming that I didn't bugger the hanger to much.)
BTW what are the compatability issues with replacing the old Uniglide chain for the above setup with something that is currently available? Thanks again.

mjw_byrne; re: Spreading is probably iffy on this frame as it is an old Cannondale. Al with really fat chainstays.
Yeah,you don't want to try spreading aluminum,altho some of the late 7 speed ones had 128 rear dropout spacing that is ok with 130 hubs. Right, the 7400 series was old DA.Sram says their chains are shimano uniglide/hyperglide compatible, and they also have a powerlink to make removal and maintenance easier.