Replacement for Shimano Acera RD-M340 Rear Derailleur

kcdk99

Aug 19, 2010
Hi all,

I need to replace a broken Shimano Acera RD-M340 rear derailleur on a Trek Navigator 200 21-speed bike (7 sprockets on the rear). I don't want to use the same derailleur since it is partially made of plastic and that is the part that broke. Could someone please tell me what would be a compatible all-metal replacement; I can't seem to find that information online. Don't want to spend TOO much, but would like a slight upgrade with the replacement.

Thank you!

Shimano Alivio will be a slight step up with out breaking the bank. I just did the same upgrade on my 7 speed commuter bike. It is Shimanos 8 speed groupo but can easily be dialed to a 7 speed setup.

Shimano Alivio will be a slight step up with out breaking the bank. I just did the same upgrade on my 7 speed commuter bike. It is Shimanos 8 speed groupo but can easily be dialed to a 7 speed setup.

kcdk99 said:
I need to replace a broken Shimano Acera RD-M340 rear derailleur on a Trek Navigator 200 21-speed bike (7 sprockets on the rear). I don't want to use the same derailleur since it is partially made of plastic and that is the part that broke. Could someone please tell me what would be a compatible all-metal replacement; I can't seem to find that information online. Don't want to spend TOO much, but would like a slight upgrade with the replacement.
FWIW. I suggest that you look for a lightly used [you can generally gauge the use by looking at the pulley wheels] 9-speed XT (750 ... it's a sufficiently older model) rear derailleur on eBay ... the cost should be under $35 + shipping. It won't work any better than the Alivio rear derailleur, but it will weigh much less & look much better.

Thanks for the help. I found a Alivio RD-M410 that looks to be compatible, and in silver it's not too bad-looking. I'm sure my mother won't even care anyway, as long as she can pedal and make the bike move. :p

Should actually make the ride a bit better for her. The shifting should be smoother.