replacement Krypto locks

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by [email protected], Feb 9, 2005.

  1. I received a pair of replacement EV Disc locks from Krypto yesterday,
    the orange ones with a regular flat key. I sent in the Bic-able ones a
    week or so ago with their return slips.
    It has been a while since I first registered for replacement, but
    considering they had to redesign the lock, I'm pretty happy.

    /s

    Tags:

  2. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > > considering they had to redesign the lock, I'm pretty happy.

    > http://www.compfused.com/directlink/589/

    As much as I despise thieves of any variety, I'll watch a bike get stolen
    before confronting anyone on the streets of Manhattan. That may sound weird
    but my guess is anyone else who has lived there can relate.

  5. >> > considering they had to redesign the lock, I'm pretty happy.

    >> http://www.compfused.com/directlink/589/>

    >As much as I despise thieves of any variety, I'll watch a >bike get

    stolen
    >before confronting anyone on the streets of Manhattan. >That may sound

    weird
    >but my guess is anyone else who has lived there can >relate.

    I can't quite relate, but I can understand what you're saying: you're a
    pussy.

    Scott

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > I can't quite relate, but I can understand what you're saying: you're a
    > pussy.
    >
    > Scott

    Yeah guess you got me figured out there...

    Someone's life's at stake and I'll intervene. I'll risk my life stopping a
    street burglary? No thanks.

    What are YOU going to do? Fight him? Make a citizen's arrest?

    You're either a hell of a lot bigger than me or never lived in New York.

    Go get them theives tough guy...

  7. Dave wrote:

    > You're either a hell of a lot bigger than me or never lived in New

    York.

    Right. Scott's a wimpy little guy from New Jersey ;-).

    I got my new Kryptos a few weeks ago. (I especially like the keys with
    the little LED lights for unlocking at night.) Props to Kryptonite for
    doing the right thing instead of circling the wagons.

    CC

  8. J G

    J G Guest

    "Corvus Corvax" wrote

    > Right. Scott's a wimpy little guy from New Jersey ;-).

    And I'm just a pacifist from NH living in the most violent City in the
    Nation......

    I had someone shoot me with a paint pellet gun while
    riding.....fscking [email protected] got orange dye all over my riding jacket.

    I scared the living sh!t out of him when I drew down on him with the
    S&W .40 , proceeded to cuff him and waited a half hour for the local
    PD to come pick him up... bet he's not going to fsck with any more
    mountain bikers!

    > I got my new Kryptos a few weeks ago. (I especially like the keys

    with
    > the little LED lights for unlocking at night.) Props to Kryptonite

    for
    > doing the right thing instead of circling the wagons.

    Got my new lock and two keys but no lighted key, like the one I sent
    in.......

  9. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "J G" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Corvus Corvax" wrote
    >
    >> Right. Scott's a wimpy little guy from New Jersey ;-).

    >And I'm just a pacifist from NH living in the most violent City in the
    >Nation......
    >
    >I had someone shoot me with a paint pellet gun while
    >riding.....fscking [email protected] got orange dye all over my riding jacket.
    >
    > I scared the living sh!t out of him when I drew down on him with the
    >S&W .40 , proceeded to cuff him and waited a half hour for the local
    >PD to come pick him up... bet he's not going to fsck with any more
    >mountain bikers!

    If there had been a video camera present, you'd be the highlight on
    one of those "I can't believe how stupid criminals are" TV shows. I
    woulda paid to watch that one!

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  10. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > I scared the living sh!t out of him when I drew down on him with the
    > S&W .40 , proceeded to cuff him and waited a half hour for the local
    > PD to come pick him up... bet he's not going to fsck with any more
    > mountain bikers!

    Good on ya!

    I've heard similar stories but they all have one common thread...it involved
    *you* or *your* bike. Last time someone tried to jack my bike (in NYC) it
    almost cost me an asskicking, but that's the only way I was giving it up. Ok
    if he showed me a gun he could have the bike.

    Still waiting for Scott's answer as to what he would do if he saw someone's
    bike getting ripped off, or maybe he has some more good names to call me for
    stating the obvious reason as to why nobody in the video bothered to
    question a blatant bike thief holding something that could be quickly
    smacked upside your head.

    -Dave

  11. J G

    J G Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote> I've heard similar stories but they
    all have one common thread...it involved
    > *you* or *your* bike.

    I refuse to be a victim, it's just part of my nature.
    If you act like an easy mark you will be one.

    Then again, cruising around Third and Mallory or Beale and Second
    givea a whole new meaning to "Urban Assault"

    More often than not a good blast of OCS (pepper foam) will take care
    of most miscreants ;-)

  12. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    On 10 Feb 2005 11:48:58 -0800, <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> http://www.compfused.com/directlink/589/>

    >> As much as I despise thieves of any variety, I'll watch a >bike get

    > stolen
    >> before confronting anyone on the streets of Manhattan. >That may sound

    > weird
    >> but my guess is anyone else who has lived there can >relate.

    > I can't quite relate, but I can understand what you're saying: you're a
    > pussy.
    >
    > Scott

    ROTFLMAO
    --
    Slacker

  13. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote> I've heard similar stories but they
    > all have one common thread...it involved
    > > *you* or *your* bike.

    > I refuse to be a victim, it's just part of my nature.
    > If you act like an easy mark you will be one.

    I didn't mean you, personally. I just meant that most people won't take it
    to that level to protect someone else's bike. Anyways, I've taken this
    thread far enough off-topic. Guess I'll send in my Kryptonite locks.

  14. > You're either a hell of a lot bigger than me or never lived in New
    York.

    I live in Brooklyn. And you're making me blush.

    /s

  15. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > > You're either a hell of a lot bigger than me or never lived in New
    > York.
    >
    > I live in Brooklyn. And you're making me blush.

    All right ya got me... :)

    Keep it on 2.

    -Dave

  16. Dave

    Dave Guest

    One of my childhood chums is NY's finest. The most intense part of his
    career so far was 911 when he worked at ground zero for three days
    straight. A low part of his career so far is dealing with bike thieves.
    One thing he sees plenty of are bikes getting stolen or attempts at
    stealing them, especially during the spring when everyone brings out
    their new bikes. On his patrol most of the thieves who are stealing the
    bikes are drug users who bring the bikes to places to sell for quick
    dope cash. So his main priority with dealing with these thieves is to
    protect himself from possible exposure to HIV if, indeed, he ends up
    having to tune the guy up a bit. He loves sitting in the car eating
    lunch and watching the "vultures" meander around and scope out a
    potential bike. Sometimes, he has to move very fast because even though
    the bike is locked up they get through it as though it weren't even
    locked in the first place. Schools are his favorite place to snipe the
    thieves as well.

    Obviously, if it were my bike I would try to stop the crime. The two
    things I would worry about is exposure and the ramifications of getting
    into a scrap with the thief. Because if police do show up and I were
    the victim of an attempted crime and they see me standing there with my
    bike and the thief is in a fetal position on the sidewalk, I'm the one
    getting arrested. So you always have to be careful about scrapping it
    out with a thief. Even though you are in the right for trying to
    protect your property, you could still end up getting screwed. So
    invest in a good lock and if worse comes to worse let the insurance
    coverage kick in and get you another rig.

    Peace.

    --
    David R Marlborough
    DJ Mackelicious

  17. Dave wrote:
    > One of my childhood chums is NY's finest.

    [...]
    > He loves sitting in the car eating lunch

    Dude, you live in Long Island:

    > http://walkingwounded.blogspot.com/

    Give it up already.

    CC

  18. Dave

    Dave Guest

  19. Dave wrote:

    > Give what up?

    Never mind.

    CC

  20. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Corvus Corvax wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >>Give what up?

    > Never mind.
    >
    > CC

    Oh, I think I get it what you are saying. No, my buddy's precinct is in
    Harlem! I should have said he was NYC's finest. My bad...

    Peace.