replacement lock?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pat, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    So, of course, today's paper had a story in it about the "U" lock problem
    and what should people do to protect their bikes. The reporter asked a cop
    what he thought and he said, "We lock ours up with handcuffs and haven't
    lost one yet!"

    Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where there
    is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms and
    accessories as well).

    Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as a
    start.

    Pat in TX

    Tags:

  2. Pat wrote:
    > Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where there
    > is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms and
    > accessories as well).
    >
    > Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as a
    > start.

    You know, that's not a bad idea. Are they heavy or light?

    -km

    --
    Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
    the black rose

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > Pat wrote:
    > > Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where

    there
    > > is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms

    and
    > > accessories as well).
    > >
    > > Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as a
    > > start.

    > You know, that's not a bad idea. Are they heavy or light?
    >
    > -km

    I have no idea. We'll have to ask Hunrobe....

    Pat in TX

  4. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:41:20 -0500, <[email protected]>,
    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as a
    >start.
    >
    >Pat in TX

    Handcuffs use a universal key though not quite as universal as a Bic
    pen.

    Master makes "Street Cuffs" for locking bicycles. They're heavier than
    handcuffs. I don't know if they use a circular or flat key.
    --
    zk

  5. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    I know of many people who use handcuffs.

    Bob

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > Pat wrote:
    > > > Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where

    > there
    > > > is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms

    > and
    > > > accessories as well).
    > > >
    > > > Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as

    > > > start.

    > > You know, that's not a bad idea. Are they heavy or light?
    > >
    > > -km

    > I have no idea. We'll have to ask Hunrobe....
    >
    > Pat in TX

  6. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    The place where I buy my handcuffs also sells a lot of leather and whips.

  7. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "Leo Lichtman" <...
    > The place where I buy my handcuffs also sells a lot of leather and whips.

    That's one of those "more than we needed to know" comments.

    Pat in TX

  8. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:51:10 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
    <l.lichtm[email protected]> wrote:

    >The place where I buy my handcuffs also sells a lot of leather and whips.

    Ah, a supply house to US military intelligence, I assume?

  9. kantspel

    kantspel Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > So, of course, today's paper had a story in it about the "U" lock problem
    > and what should people do to protect their bikes. The reporter asked a cop
    > what he thought and he said, "We lock ours up with handcuffs and haven't
    > lost one yet!"
    >

    > Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where there
    > is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms and
    > accessories as well).
    >
    > Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as a
    > start.
    >
    > Pat in TX

    would these do?
    http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/subcategory/37/188

  10. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:26:01 -0700,
    <[email protected]>, Dan Daniel
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:51:10 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>The place where I buy my handcuffs also sells a lot of leather and whips.
    >>

    >Ah, a supply house to US military intelligence, I assume?

    Nobody but a fool locks their bikes with those disposable plastic
    handcuffs.
    --
    zk

  11. As mentioned by someone (but I'll repeat it anyway) MOST HANDCUFFS OPEN
    WITH THE SAME KEY Locking a bike with handcuffs is not a good idea.

    Richard in Boston, MA, USA
    "Pat" wrote ...
    > So, of course, today's paper had a story in it about the "U" lock problem
    > and what should people do to protect their bikes. The reporter asked a
    > cop
    > what he thought and he said, "We lock ours up with handcuffs and haven't
    > lost one yet!"
    >

    > Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where
    > there
    > is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms and
    > accessories as well).

  12. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

  13. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So, of course, today's paper had a story in it about the "U" lock problem
    > and what should people do to protect their bikes. The reporter asked a
    > cop
    > what he thought and he said, "We lock ours up with handcuffs and haven't
    > lost one yet!"

    And I suspect that Cop Cars left with the windows down and keys in the
    ignition are not going to be stolen in even the very worst neighborhoods
    either. Something about not taking things from guys with Firearms who are
    both trained to use them and authorized to use them and you are in real
    trouble if you use any force to respond to their use. (as opposed to a
    thug where a proportional response in the case of inability to flee is
    okay... )

  14. Thad O

    Thad O Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The place where I buy my handcuffs also sells a lot of leather and whips.

    Yeah but are they meant to restrain someone who really doesn't want to
    be restrained?

  15. Actually34

    Actually34 Guest

    The Masterlock cuffs use a round key. I have gotten around to trying to open
    the ones I have with a Bic Pen yet. But they work great for locking up the
    bike.