replacement lock?

Pat

Guest
So, of course, today's paper had a story in it about the "U" lock problem
and what should people do to protect their bikes. The reporter asked a cop
what he thought and he said, "We lock ours up with handcuffs and haven't
lost one yet!"

Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where there
is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms and
accessories as well).

Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as a
start.

Pat in TX

Pat wrote:
> Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where there
> is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms and
> accessories as well).
>
> Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as a
> start.

You know, that's not a bad idea. Are they heavy or light?

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose

> Pat wrote:
> > Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where

there
> > is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms

and
> > accessories as well).
> >
> > Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as a
> > start.

> You know, that's not a bad idea. Are they heavy or light?
>
> -km

I have no idea. We'll have to ask Hunrobe....

Pat in TX

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:41:20 -0500, <[email protected]>,
"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as a
>start.
>
>Pat in TX

Handcuffs use a universal key though not quite as universal as a Bic
pen.

Master makes "Street Cuffs" for locking bicycles. They're heavier than
handcuffs. I don't know if they use a circular or flat key.
--
zk

I know of many people who use handcuffs.

Bob

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Pat wrote:
> > > Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where

> there
> > > is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms

> and
> > > accessories as well).
> > >
> > > Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as

> > > start.

> > You know, that's not a bad idea. Are they heavy or light?
> >
> > -km

> I have no idea. We'll have to ask Hunrobe....
>
> Pat in TX

The place where I buy my handcuffs also sells a lot of leather and whips.

"Leo Lichtman" <...
> The place where I buy my handcuffs also sells a lot of leather and whips.

That's one of those "more than we needed to know" comments.

Pat in TX

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:51:10 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The place where I buy my handcuffs also sells a lot of leather and whips.

Ah, a supply house to US military intelligence, I assume?

Pat wrote:
> So, of course, today's paper had a story in it about the "U" lock problem
> and what should people do to protect their bikes. The reporter asked a cop
> what he thought and he said, "We lock ours up with handcuffs and haven't
> lost one yet!"
>

> Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where there
> is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms and
> accessories as well).
>
> Maybe multiple handcuffs--one for the frame and one for the wheels as a
> start.
>
> Pat in TX

would these do?
http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/subcategory/37/188

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:26:01 -0700,
<[email protected]>, Dan Daniel
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:51:10 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The place where I buy my handcuffs also sells a lot of leather and whips.
>>

>Ah, a supply house to US military intelligence, I assume?

Nobody but a fool locks their bikes with those disposable plastic
handcuffs.
--
zk

As mentioned by someone (but I'll repeat it anyway) MOST HANDCUFFS OPEN
WITH THE SAME KEY Locking a bike with handcuffs is not a good idea.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA
"Pat" wrote ...
> So, of course, today's paper had a story in it about the "U" lock problem
> and what should people do to protect their bikes. The reporter asked a
> cop
> what he thought and he said, "We lock ours up with handcuffs and haven't
> lost one yet!"
>

> Should we all go down to the cop store and buy handcuffs? I know where
> there
> is such a store in town (it sells police/fire/ security guard uniforms and
> accessories as well).

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So, of course, today's paper had a story in it about the "U" lock problem
> and what should people do to protect their bikes. The reporter asked a
> cop
> what he thought and he said, "We lock ours up with handcuffs and haven't
> lost one yet!"

And I suspect that Cop Cars left with the windows down and keys in the
ignition are not going to be stolen in even the very worst neighborhoods
either. Something about not taking things from guys with Firearms who are
both trained to use them and authorized to use them and you are in real
trouble if you use any force to respond to their use. (as opposed to a
thug where a proportional response in the case of inability to flee is
okay... )

<[email protected]> wrote:

>The place where I buy my handcuffs also sells a lot of leather and whips.

Yeah but are they meant to restrain someone who really doesn't want to
be restrained?

The Masterlock cuffs use a round key. I have gotten around to trying to open
the ones I have with a Bic Pen yet. But they work great for locking up the
bike.