replacement saddle clamp for old seatpost?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kbh

Kbh Guest

Tags:

2. Mike Krueger

Mike Krueger Guest

<< I have an old bike with a very odd-sized 25.8mm seatpost. It is of the style where the post and
    the saddle clamp are two separate units. Since the post is odd sized, I would like to keep that and
    replace the saddle clamp with something more modern and easier to adjust - the current one is the
    kind with two nuts threaded on opposite sides, pushing the rail clamps together. Its a pain to
    adjust and the nuts dig into to the side of the saddle and make it bulge out. >>

Get a 25.8 American Classic seatpost. One of the best designs on the market.

http://www.amclassic.com/Seatposts.html

3. Phil Brown

Phil Brown Guest

> Its a pain to adjust and the nuts dig into to the side of the saddle and make it bulge out.
    >
    >So does such a thing exist? I saw some replacement saddle clamps in the Harris QBP catalog, but
    >they're exactly the same as what I have on there now.

Such a clamp does exist but it was made by Ideale in France and now is a coveted collector piece.
    Good luck or, I shoud say, bonne chance. Phil Brown

4. Kbh

Kbh Guest

> << I have an old bike with a very odd-sized 25.8mm seatpost. It is of the style where the post and
    > the saddle clamp are two separate units. Since
    the
    > post is odd sized, I would like to keep that and replace the saddle clamp with something more
    > modern and easier to adjust - the current one is the kind with two nuts threaded on opposite
    > sides, pushing the rail clamps together. Its a pain to adjust and the nuts dig into to the side of
    > the saddle and make it bulge out. >>
    >
    > Get a 25.8 American Classic seatpost. One of the best designs on the
    market.
    >
    > http://www.amclassic.com/Seatposts.html

I don't see an option for 25.8...

5. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have an old bike with a very odd-sized 25.8mm seatpost. It is of the style where the post and
    > the saddle clamp are two separate units. Since
    the
    > post is odd sized, I would like to keep that and replace the saddle clamp with something more
    > modern and easier to adjust - the current one is the kind with two nuts threaded on opposite
    > sides, pushing the rail clamps together. Its a pain to adjust and the nuts dig into to the side of
    > the saddle and make it bulge out.
    >
    > So does such a thing exist? I saw some replacement saddle clamps in the Harris QBP catalog, but
    > they're exactly the same as what I have on there now.

If you like the separate clamp on a straight post, nice aluminum posts and pretty chromed Brooks
    clamps are available. All the separate clamps presently available are coarse in their angle
    adjustment, micro-adjust clamps (Ideale, for example) having gone by the way. Modern 1-bolt
    setaposts are very available in that size ( it is quite common, acutally) and cheap.

--
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

6. Kbh

Kbh Guest

> > I have an old bike with a very odd-sized 25.8mm seatpost. It is of the style where the post and
    > > the saddle clamp are two separate units. Since
    > the
    > > post is odd sized, I would like to keep that and replace the saddle
    clamp
    > > with something more modern and easier to adjust - the current one is the kind with two nuts
    > > threaded on opposite sides, pushing the rail clamps together. Its a pain to adjust and the nuts
    > > dig into to the side of the saddle and make it bulge out.
    > >
    > > So does such a thing exist? I saw some replacement saddle clamps in the Harris QBP catalog, but
    > > they're exactly the same as what I have on there now.
    >
    > If you like the separate clamp on a straight post, nice aluminum posts and pretty chromed Brooks
    > clamps are available. All the separate clamps presently available are coarse in their angle
    > adjustment, micro-adjust clamps (Ideale, for example) having gone by the way. Modern 1-bolt
    setaposts
    > are very available in that size ( it is quite common, acutally) and cheap.

whoops, shoud've checked - its 25.7 - which _is_ odd. I suppose a 25.8 may fit.

7. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

> > << I have an old bike with a very odd-sized 25.8mm seatpost. It is of
    the
    > > style where the post and the saddle clamp are two separate units. Since
    > the
    > > post is odd sized, I would like to keep that and replace the saddle
    clamp
    > > with something more modern and easier to adjust - the current one is the kind with two nuts
    > > threaded on opposite sides, pushing the rail clamps together. Its a pain to adjust and the nuts
    > > dig into to the side of the saddle and make it bulge out. >>
    > >
    > > Get a 25.8 American Classic seatpost. One of the best designs on the
    > market.
    > >
    > > http://www.amclassic.com/Seatposts.html

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't see an option for 25.8...

That "nonexistent " size AmClassic post is in my 25.8 seatpost slot right now. Want one? (The entire
    universe is not on-line yet)

--
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.