Replacement Wheel

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cas962, Jan 24, 2003.

  1. cas962

    cas962 Guest

    I have to replace the rear wheel on an older Raleigh road bike. The bike is great and I have no need
    to replace it. The wheel is another story. Broken spokes every other ride, even after a rebuild. Can
    anyone recommend a replacement. We ride several thousand miles per season and average 50 to 75 miles
    per trip. We tour rather then race and ride at about 17 mph. I weigh @ 200lbs. Thanks

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have to replace the rear wheel on an older Raleigh road bike. The bike is great and I have
    >no need to replace it. The wheel is another story. Broken spokes every other ride, even after
    >a rebuild.

    This really means that the rebuild was no good. It was either improperly built (most likely) or was
    built from improper components for you. Either way it's not really acceptable. I think what you need
    is not just a replacement wheel but a better-built replacement wheel.

    If you're 200 pounds and touring, I assume sometimes with some weight on the bike and sometimes on
    rough roads, you need a well-built 36-spoke (or more) wheel with a fairly stout rim. 40-spoke wheel
    is also probably not excessive if you load the bike up much. Unfortunately it restricts your options
    a lot though.

    A cassette hub is also a good idea for anyone but especially heavier riders because the design
    supports the axle better. Going to a cassette may also push you into respacing the rear triangle of
    your Raleigh - I think it's worthwhile.

    There are a lot of rims that would be fine for you if built well, Mavic MA3, Mavic T520, Mavic
    CXP33, WTB Speedmaster, Velocity Deep V, etc.

    --Paul

  3. On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:06:13 -0500, cas962 wrote:

    > I have to replace the rear wheel on an older Raleigh road bike. The bike is great and I have no
    > need to replace it. The wheel is another story. Broken spokes every other ride, even after a
    > rebuild. Can anyone recommend a replacement.

    Sounds to me like you need a replacement wheel builder. At your weight, which is not extreme, you
    should not have this problem. For touring, or what seem to me to be day-rides or club rides, if you
    have 36 spokes, or even 32, you should go for years without breaking a spoke.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of _`\(,_ | business. (_)/ (_) |

  4. cas-<< The bike is great and I have no need to replace it. The wheel is another story. Broken spokes
    every other ride, even after a rebuild. Can anyone recommend a replacement.

    If the hub is in good shape, find a good wheelbuilder that can re-use the hub and build a wheel
    specifically for you and your needs..If no soap, send the hub to me and I'll build ya one.