Replacement Wheel

cas962

Guest
I have to replace the rear wheel on an older Raleigh road bike. The bike is great and I have no need
to replace it. The wheel is another story. Broken spokes every other ride, even after a rebuild. Can
anyone recommend a replacement. We ride several thousand miles per season and average 50 to 75 miles
per trip. We tour rather then race and ride at about 17 mph. I weigh @ 200lbs. Thanks

In article <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> wrote:
>I have to replace the rear wheel on an older Raleigh road bike. The bike is great and I have
>no need to replace it. The wheel is another story. Broken spokes every other ride, even after
>a rebuild.

This really means that the rebuild was no good. It was either improperly built (most likely) or was
built from improper components for you. Either way it's not really acceptable. I think what you need
is not just a replacement wheel but a better-built replacement wheel.

If you're 200 pounds and touring, I assume sometimes with some weight on the bike and sometimes on
rough roads, you need a well-built 36-spoke (or more) wheel with a fairly stout rim. 40-spoke wheel
is also probably not excessive if you load the bike up much. Unfortunately it restricts your options
a lot though.

A cassette hub is also a good idea for anyone but especially heavier riders because the design
supports the axle better. Going to a cassette may also push you into respacing the rear triangle of
your Raleigh - I think it's worthwhile.

There are a lot of rims that would be fine for you if built well, Mavic MA3, Mavic T520, Mavic
CXP33, WTB Speedmaster, Velocity Deep V, etc.

--Paul

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:06:13 -0500, cas962 wrote:

> I have to replace the rear wheel on an older Raleigh road bike. The bike is great and I have no
> need to replace it. The wheel is another story. Broken spokes every other ride, even after a
> rebuild. Can anyone recommend a replacement.

Sounds to me like you need a replacement wheel builder. At your weight, which is not extreme, you
should not have this problem. For touring, or what seem to me to be day-rides or club rides, if you
have 36 spokes, or even 32, you should go for years without breaking a spoke.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of _`\(,_ | business. (_)/ (_) |

cas-<< The bike is great and I have no need to replace it. The wheel is another story. Broken spokes
every other ride, even after a rebuild. Can anyone recommend a replacement.

If the hub is in good shape, find a good wheelbuilder that can re-use the hub and build a wheel
specifically for you and your needs..If no soap, send the hub to me and I'll build ya one.