Replacing a BB Cartridge - Size Question

Dansky

Jan 25, 2010
The BB cartridge on my aluminum roadie is definitely "cashed." I've gone around a bit trying to figure out what size to order for a replacement as the specs listed a 118mm spindle width, but the Power Pro BB-7420 in the bike is definitely not that wide - I measured it exactly with new metal calipers, and it's 113mm wide.

So I just received a new Shimano BB in the mail-- a 68 x 113, and am slightly confused. It is clearly marked 113 on the box, but the spindle clearly measures 114 with my calipers. I have checked this repeatedly with a metric ruler as well, and it's a bit of a mystery to me. Should I just go ahead and install it on the bike, making sure to torque it down well? I guess I may be splitting hairs when you consider I'm talking about half a millimeter extra on each side of the cartridge, once installed.

Any thoughts or advice?

FWIW. IMO, your only concern should be whether the spindle is asymmetrical or symmetrical and the 0.5mm on each side shouldn't be a concern ...

• the chamfer on the end of the spindles may account for the measured variance

​BTW. You MAY-or-MAY-NOT need to tweak your front derailleur's stops ...