Replacing ancient Shimano brake lever

John Mann

Guest
Had an argument with a bridge abutment on Monday and bent my RH brake
lever. Now my bike dates from before the dawn of time (1990) and has
Shimano BL-M200 brake levers. Ebay has never heard of these! A visit to
the bike shop will, I know from experience, result in a modified version
of the Not the Nine O'clock News "Gram-o-phone" sketch, so can anyone
suggest something I might find on Ebay that will do the job? The brakes
are ordinary cantilever types.
--
John Mann

John Mann wrote:
> Had an argument with a bridge abutment on Monday and bent my RH brake
> lever. Now my bike dates from before the dawn of time (1990) and has
> Shimano BL-M200 brake levers. Ebay has never heard of these! A visit to
> the bike shop will, I know from experience, result in a modified version
> of the Not the Nine O'clock News "Gram-o-phone" sketch, so can anyone
> suggest something I might find on Ebay that will do the job? The brakes
> are ordinary cantilever types.

Don't confuse the shop by mentioning 'cantilever', ask for a nexus
rollerbrake compatible brakelever. Cheap Saccon knockoffs should start
at 6 ukp / pair or so
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On 7 May, 20:46, M-gineering <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Mann wrote:

> > The brakes
> > are ordinary cantilever types.

> Don't confuse the shop by mentioning 'cantilever', ask for a nexus
> rollerbrake compatible brakelever.

Hijacking this slightly, does this imply that cable pull for a roller
brake is similar to that for a canti? I'd assumed it would be greater.

If I were to try running roller brakes with drop bars, shoudl I just
look at any old brake levers, or at V-brake compatible ones like
the Dia-Compe 287Vs?

John

[email protected] wrote:
> On 7 May, 20:46, M-gineering <[email protected]> wrote:
>> John Mann wrote:

>>> The brakes
>>> are ordinary cantilever types.

>> Don't confuse the shop by mentioning 'cantilever', ask for a nexus
>> rollerbrake compatible brakelever.

> Hijacking this slightly, does this imply that cable pull for a roller
> brake is similar to that for a canti? I'd assumed it would be greater.

I think so.

> If I were to try running roller brakes with drop bars, shoudl I just
> look at any old brake levers, or at V-brake compatible ones like
> the Dia-Compe 287Vs?

The destructions that came with my roller brake said to use brake levers
suitable for cantis and caliper brakes (or rather the canti setting on
the brake lever). Having said that, I use the original V brake lever
with the roller brake on that bike.

"John Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Had an argument with a bridge abutment on Monday and bent my RH brake
> lever. Now my bike dates from before the dawn of time (1990) and has
> Shimano BL-M200 brake levers. Ebay has never heard of these! A visit to
> the bike shop will, I know from experience, result in a modified version
> of the Not the Nine O'clock News "Gram-o-phone" sketch, so can anyone
> suggest something I might find on Ebay that will do the job? The brakes
> are ordinary cantilever types.

Are all road levers not the same? I'm still using old weinmann levels with
my dual pivot brakes...

http://www.bikejumbles.co.uk/