Replacing Axle on Suzue ProMax FF Hub

question man

Guest
All,

I had to change to a longer axle on a Suzue Pro-Max flip/flop hub, to
make the wheel fit my setup.

I'm trying to replicate Sheldon's Hercules
(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/hercules.html).
I was able to replicate it successfully with a Suzue loose-bearing
hub, but now I've decided to upgrade (better hub, rim, & tire).

I am using an old 5-speed freewheel, with two sprockets in place for
my freewheel gears.

My questions are:

1. In order to take out the shorter axle, I had to release one of the
dust caps. How does it get put back into place? Does it have to
'snap' into place, as on a loose-bearing hub?

2. How should I adjust the "adjustable cones" on the Pro-Max hub? I
don't know what else to call the parts to which I refer--on a
loose-bearing hub, they'd be the adjustable cones. If I tighten them
enough, will the dust cover snap into place? How tight is too tight?
It'd be very nice if the new axle had some kind of wrenching flats, or
a hex-recess in the end of axle, so I could hold the axle & tighten
the adjustable cub with the loose dust cap. (I feel like I'm beating
a dead horse here).

(I do have a beam-type torque wrench, if that's useful)

Thanks,

Phil

question man wrote:
> All,
>
> I had to change to a longer axle on a Suzue Pro-Max flip/flop hub, to
> make the wheel fit my setup.
>
> I'm trying to replicate Sheldon's Hercules
> (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/hercules.html).
> I was able to replicate it successfully with a Suzue loose-bearing
> hub, but now I've decided to upgrade (better hub, rim, & tire).
>
> I am using an old 5-speed freewheel, with two sprockets in place for
> my freewheel gears.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. In order to take out the shorter axle, I had to release one of the
> dust caps. How does it get put back into place? Does it have to
> 'snap' into place, as on a loose-bearing hub?

No, it just rests against the cone shoulders.

> 2. How should I adjust the "adjustable cones" on the Pro-Max hub? I
> don't know what else to call the parts to which I refer--on a
> loose-bearing hub, they'd be the adjustable cones. If I tighten them
> enough, will the dust cover snap into place? How tight is too tight?

Adjust like any hub even tho the bearings are cart bearings. Just past
a wee bit loose.

> It'd be very nice if the new axle had some kind of wrenching flats, or
> a hex-recess in the end of axle, so I could hold the axle & tighten
> the adjustable cub with the loose dust cap. (I feel like I'm beating
> a dead horse here).

Tighten too tight, then use cone wrenchs on opposite sides, turning
against each other to get proper adjustment or get an axle vise.