Replacing bearings in R500s - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by janiejones, Jan 24, 2007.

1. janiejones

janiejones New Member

Has anyone replaced the bearings in a set of Shimano R500 hubs - I use them and I don't find the bearings all that smooth, nothing like the Campy Vento I used to have - I like the feel of the Shimano but it would be nice if they were a little smoother

thanks

Tags:

2. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

completely possible. Ask Phill P who sells ceramic loose balls and he should be able to get you a set for a fairly reasonable cost. Otherwise if you knew the ball size you could go to a bearing shop and get some high grade bearings. Then again, it might be a problem with the races. Check for pitting & wear first.

Also, I have R500s and they are by no means a smooth wheel. Definitely training oriented. Though, in the 13,000k I have put in them, the hubs have needed to be pulled down and regreased twice.

3. Albert 50

Albert 50 New Member

Fairly reasonably expected maintenance time frame I would think for any wheels. ;)

4. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

Aah I enjoy the wrenching anyway :D

Others have had worse luck. A sponsored rider (Shimano wheels) has had to get his replaced twice in the last year (though he does up around 23000km a year) and they were Dura Ace

5. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yek, is that another thing I've got to worry about with my R500s:eek: - they're already the worst wheels I've ever had - 3 broken spokes and until I locktited some of the spokes in the back wheel it would go out of true every 2 or 3 rides.
    They are good not though...

6. thomas_cho

thomas_cho New Member

Hi Bobby,
    I got the R500 wheels as well, and with the long weekend approaching, am thinking about repacking the grease. What sort of tools do you need? Cone wrenches? And how do you remove the freewheel body? I just checked out park tools website, and seems like you just need a hex wrench. Do you need a special freewheel tool to remove it?

I am heavy (was riding these when I was 100kg+) and these wheels have served me well. I dont know why Shimano wheelsets (R500 and R550) are getting all this bagging here.

They seem like pretty reliable training wheels to me.

7. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

Some are lucky with them, some aren't. I got mine rebuilt in the first two weeks (same spoke tension problems as banana) and they have been fine. To rebuild them, you need 13/14 and a 15 conewrenches and i think its a 17mm locknut on the outside. Then its best to use degreaser, a cloth, and some good grease (castrol for me. stands up to water a bit better). To pull off the freehub you need a 10mm hex key I think, I have an 8mm which is huge and it doesn't fit, so I borrowed a monster one which I think was 10. I used light fishing reel grease in the freehub body. I'll double check all the sizes and get back to you on that one.

8. thomas_cho

thomas_cho New Member

Thanks for that. I checked and tensioned the wheels when I first got them, and they have stayed true since then. I paid AU$160 for them brand new ... quite good value for money.

Might have a go at an even cheaper wheelset which came on my apollo first.

9. FunFrida

FunFrida New Member

If you are not into checking your bearings from time to time, I suggest you get some self-lubricating bearings that require less maintenance.

10. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

#1, please do not try and sell your own product if you are a sales rep.

#2 self lubricating bearings, please explain.

11. LeDomestique

LeDomestique New Member

I got 550's and they have endured 4500Ks with no maintenace, no broken spokes and they are still as true as the first day.

I say they're fantastic value for money.

12. Paulie-AU

Paulie-AU New Member

You will be able to change the bearings without removing the freewheel. Cone spanners and a 17mm Spanner will do the job.

If you are buying new bearings ensure they are good quality and not just generic cheapies.

Check cones and cups for pitting. It is possible to get replacement ones if required.

13. xenovier

xenovier New Member

How to tell if bearings need to be replaced?

Is grease the only lubricant for the bearings? Or there are other alternatives? Is oil recommended, or say WD-40?

I was wondering what is the bearing size needed for R500? How much do bearings normally cause? Is there really such a thing is 'better quality' bearings?

I saw a pack of 144 bearings for $3 on eBay. They have sizes like 1/8, 3/16, 5/32, 1/4

Help~~[​IMG]

14. cruisin

cruisin New Member

There are certainly different qualities in ball bearings.
    I have seen some so poor that you could see dimples etc in new ones.
    I only buy top end shimano ones to be sure and they are not overly expensive.
    I cant remember the exact price as I have rarely had to replace them more than once.
    Cones on the other hand seem to be a bit weak on some of the lower end shimano hubs, especially the ones not made in Japan and unfortunately you usually have to buy the right cones for the hubs to get the spacing and seals right.

15. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Steel ball bearings are cheap. It makes sense to replace the balls every time you strip the hub down, although this is not obligatory. Ceramic bearings are a waste of money.
    Oil's fine if you want to have to strip the hub down to replace it every fortnight. WD40's fine if you want to kill the hub in a couple of rides (it's not a lubricant beyond a few minutes after application, and not really even during those minutes).

16. kleng

kleng New Member

Here are the tech docs to show how the R500 hubs go together

Front
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/actionsports/WH/EV-WH-R500-F-2338A_v1_m56577569830608662.pdf
    You'll need 20 x 3/16 bearings

Rear
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/actionsports/WH/EV-WH-R500-R-2339A_v1_m56577569830608663.pdf
    You'll need 16 x 1/4 bearings and a range of cone spanners as mentioned by Bobby_Ocr.

Might be easier to get the LBS to look at it, . My LBS is using a grease and tri-flow mix to lubricate the bearings to reduce bearing resistance.

The park tools repair pages give good direction on adjusting the cone and cups generically. You can use their directions for a hub service generally but reference the tech docs for the R500 hub specifics.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105.