replacing campy freehub

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Charles Beristain, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. I would like to switch back and forth between a campy 10 cassette and
    a shimano 9 speed cassette. Right now I'm borrowing an old shimano
    compatible wheel but I would like to use my nice nucleon wheel. I
    found a HG compatible campy free hub WH-KX1 that should do the trick.

    My experience is only with Mountain bike equipment so I've never
    removed a campy freewheel. Any special tools required? Is it easy to
    switch back and forth? anything special I should know?

    I'm using the shimano compatible with an 11-34 cassette for hill climb
    races... but do my regular riding with an 12-25 campy 10 speed
    cassette.
    thanks

    charlieb in ct.

    Tags:

  2. charlie-<< Any special tools required? Is it easy to
    switch back and forth? anything special I should know? >><BR><BR>

    For this wheel, a 5mm allen and a 17mm open end wrench. Hold the axle with the
    5mm alalen(Inside the axle end) and then turn the lock nut 'CLOCKWISE' to
    loosen. Slid it off, slid new one on, reverse tightening.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. On 19 Jan 2005 13:39:10 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    Campagnolo ) wrote:

    >For this wheel, a 5mm allen and a 17mm open end wrench. Hold the axle with the
    >5mm alalen(Inside the axle end) and then turn the lock nut 'CLOCKWISE' to
    >loosen. Slid it off, slid new one on, reverse tightening.
    >Peter Chisholm

    Peter...
    thanks so much...sounds easy enough so I'll do it.

    charlieb in ct.

  4. Peter
    Finally got the freehub for a shimano cassette... your instructions
    saved the day... I would not have known about the left hand threads.

    interesting that the shimano cassette compatible freehub weighs double
    of the straight campy one.

    charlieb in ct.