Replacing cantilever with caliper brakes, rim clearance?

soloist

Nov 5, 2004
I want to replace the Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers on my cyclocross commuter with road calipers. I have Mavic T221 wheels with a 21mm rim and use a 700x32 tire. I couldn't find information on the web about caliper and rim/tire compatibility. I don't want to invest in a narrower wheelset, but probably would find the money if it's necessary.
Can road calipers fit a rim and tire that wide?
Are there sites/posts that cover this, or a manual that thoroughly covers brake repair?

soloist said:
I want to replace the Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers on my cyclocross commuter with road calipers. I have Mavic T221 wheels with a 21mm rim and use a 700x32 tire. I couldn't find information on the web about caliper and rim/tire compatibility. I don't want to invest in a narrower wheelset, but probably would find the money if it's necessary.
Can road calipers fit a rim and tire that wide?
Are there sites/posts that cover this, or a manual that thoroughly covers brake repair?
Is your fork and rear brake bridge even drrlled for calipers? www.rivbike.com offes some calipers that will handle wider tires.Check with them.

The mounting holes are there, the front holds a bolt that secures the cable stop for the brake cable running to the cantilever yoke. The back one isn't used for anything. Thanks, I'll check the website.