Replacing cassette cogs

Phileas

Guest
I cycle-commute every day along a flattish route which means that the 17 tooth (and to a lesser
extent the 16 tooth) cog on my Shimano cassette is a lot more worn than the others.

Am I correct in thinking that Campagnolo cassette cogs can be replaced individually and if so, what
bits and pieces do I need to convert from Shimano to Campagnolo?

Thanks

Phileas

> I cycle-commute every day along a flattish route which means that the 17 tooth (and to a lesser
> extent the 16 tooth) cog on my Shimano cassette is a lot more worn than the others.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that Campagnolo cassette cogs can be replaced individually and if so,
> what bits and pieces do I need to convert from Shimano to Campagnolo?

Most of Shimano's and Campagnolo's cogs can be replaced. I would stick to Shimano for this though.
Shimano cogs are generally much easier to get hold of and cheaper than Campagnolo's.

news:[email protected]...

Phileas wrote:

> I cycle-commute every day along a flattish route which means that the 17 tooth (and to a lesser
> extent the 16 tooth) cog on my Shimano cassette is a lot more worn than the others.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that Campagnolo cassette cogs can be replaced individually and if so,
> what bits and pieces do I need to convert from Shimano to Campagnolo?

Campagnolo cogs won't fit on a Shimano hub, so you'd need a new rear wheel to make this work.

In addition, Shimano individual sprockets are easier to get than Campagnolo ones. We have these in
stock, $9.95 each for the sizes you seek.

Sheldon "Custom K7" Brown +-------------------------------------------+
| Never do today what you can do tomorrow. | Something may occur to make you regret | your
| premature action. --Aaron Burr |
+-------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>......Shimano individual sprockets are easier to get than Campagnolo ones. We have these in stock,
>$9.95 each for the sizes you
seek.

I wasn't aware that I could replace the larger sprockets in a Shimano cassette - they seem to be
riveted together!

Phileas

Phileas <[email protected]> wrote:

: "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
: news:[email protected]...
:>
:>......Shimano individual sprockets are easier to get than Campagnolo ones. We have these in stock,
:>$9.95 each for the sizes you
: seek.
:>

: I wasn't aware that I could replace the larger sprockets in a Shimano cassette - they seem to be
: riveted together!

: Phileas

1 minute on a grinder wheel will take care of that little problem.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

Phileas wrote:

> I wasn't aware that I could replace the larger sprockets in a Shimano cassette - they seem to be
> riveted together!

16 & 17 are "larger sprockets"? In some cassettes these are rivetted together, but the rivets can be
removed easily enough.

Some of the 9-speed cassettes feature a 16-17 rivetted pair, we might have those in stock at the
shop too, but I'm at home now so I can't check.

This is only a problem on the real larger sprockets that mount on a spider module, so the sprocket
itself doesn't engage the Freehub body. Those are not interchangeable.

Sheldon "Easier Than You Think" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
| What was the real cause of the 1861-65 war? |
| http://sheldonbrown.net/slaverywar.html |
+------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

"Phileas" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>......Shimano individual sprockets are easier to get than Campagnolo ones. We have these in stock,
>>$9.95 each for the sizes you
>seek.
>
>I wasn't aware that I could replace the larger sprockets in a Shimano cassette - they seem to be
>riveted together!

Depends on the style of cassette you have. The newer, higher-end cassettes DO have the rivited,
titanium large cog "clusters" that make it impossible to replace individual cogs (at least not the
ones most of us wear out...).

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:15:48 +0100, Phileas wrote:

> I cycle-commute every day along a flattish route which means that the 17 tooth (and to a lesser
> extent the 16 tooth) cog on my Shimano cassette is a lot more worn than the others.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that Campagnolo cassette cogs can be replaced individually and if so,
> what bits and pieces do I need to convert from Shimano to Campagnolo?

You are coorect in that Campy cassettes are available with loose cogs. But most Shimano cassettes
only have 3 thin rivets holding them together. You can remove the rivets and the cassette will
work fine.

On the other side, single sprockets for either system are difficult to find, and so pricey that you
might as well replace the cassette as replace 2 sprockets.

In order to shift from Shimano to Campy, you would need:

rear hub rear derailleur shifters

You can use your shimano front derailleur, and your current cranks. You can actually use your
shimano-compatible wheel, too, but the point is to get Campy cassettes. Sadly, this will not give
you what you are looking for, anyway.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster. --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

>which means that the 17 tooth (and to a lesser extent the 16 tooth) cog on my Shimano cassette is a
>lot more worn than the others.

remove the cog and turn it over to double the life(one can do this with Dura Ace uniglide cogs).

Jan Pinkowish

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:42:58 +0000, Sheldon Brown wrote:

> In addition, Shimano individual sprockets are easier to get than Campagnolo ones. We have these in
> stock, $9.95 each for the sizes you seek.

Cheaper than I thought. Makes it worth doing.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand _`\(,_ | mathematics. (_)/ (_) |

Phileas wrote:
> I cycle-commute every day along a flattish route which means that the 17 tooth (and to a lesser
> extent the 16 tooth) cog on my Shimano cassette is a lot more worn than the others.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that Campagnolo cassette cogs can be replaced individually

With many models, yes, but so can some Shimanos by removing rivets/bolts.

> and if so, what bits and pieces do I need to convert from Shimano to Campagnolo?

Campag sprockets do not fit Shimano hubs.

~PB