Replacing Cog on Suntour Perfect Freewheel (Parts)

Etaoin Shrdlu

Guest
All -

(This time I'll crosspost, so I don't have to switch back & forth)

I've got a Suntour Perfect freewheel with a 14t cog that I'd like to replace with a 13t cog. This
14t cog is the smallest cog on the freewheel.

I saw on Loosescrews, a 13t cog for Winner freewheels (one for the 'L' position, one for the 'S'
position). Can either of these be used on my freewheel? I don't know what letter position the
14t cog is.

I've Googled for 'Suntour Perfect freewheel 13 tooth cog' and gotten no suitable hits. The best I
can find is a NOS freewheel from Sheldon Brown (13-34).

Thanks!

Phil

In article <[email protected]>, Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote:
>All -
>
>(This time I'll crosspost, so I don't have to switch back & forth)
>
>I've got a Suntour Perfect freewheel with a 14t cog that I'd like to replace with a 13t cog. This
>14t cog is the smallest cog on the freewheel.

I don't know what your 2nd cog is, but increasing the jump by one tooth is going to make a big
difference, this is not going to improve ridability - it is going to leave a gaping hole in
your gearing.

>I saw on Loosescrews, a 13t cog for Winner freewheels (one for the 'L' position, one for the 'S'
>position). Can either of these be used on my freewheel? I don't know what letter position the
>14t cog is.

I don't think that will work.

>I've Googled for 'Suntour Perfect freewheel 13 tooth cog' and gotten no suitable hits. The best I
>can find is a NOS freewheel from Sheldon Brown (13-34).

The part you want is probably in a bike store somewhere, in a ratty shoe box under the dip tank, but
not sold online. It is too obsolete and obscure. Best thing to do is leave it alone (ie, spin
faster) until it's worn out and then replace the freewheel.

--Paul

Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I've got a Suntour Perfect freewheel with a 14t cog that I'd like to replace with a 13t cog. This
> 14t cog is the smallest cog on the freewheel.

A 14 tooth cog is probably the smallest that can go on your Perfect freewheel. I've heard tell of
a version of the Perfect freewheel with a smaller plateau that can take 13 tooth cogs but I've
never seen one.

> I saw on Loosescrews, a 13t cog for Winner freewheels (one for the 'L' position, one for the 'S'
> position). Can either of these be used on my freewheel?

Probably not.

> I don't know what letter position the 14t cog is.

The Perfect and Winner freewheels are different systems (though a few of the cogs can go back
and forth).

> I've Googled for 'Suntour Perfect freewheel 13 tooth cog' and gotten no suitable hits. The best I
> can find is a NOS freewheel from Sheldon Brown (13-34).

If you must have a 13 tooth cog you will probably have to get a different freewheel. If you get a
Winner or New Winner you can move a few of the largest cogs on your perfect freewheel over to your
new freewheel.

Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

Bruce Jackson wrote:

> Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > I've got a Suntour Perfect freewheel with a 14t cog that I'd like to replace with a 13t cog.
> > This 14t cog is the smallest cog on the freewheel.
>
> A 14 tooth cog is probably the smallest that can go on your Perfect freewheel. I've heard tell of
> a version of the Perfect freewheel with a smaller plateau that can take 13 tooth cogs but I've
> never seen one.

OK. Sounds good (i.e., some positive thing on which I can base future actions).

> > I saw on Loosescrews, a 13t cog for Winner freewheels (one for the 'L' position, one for the 'S'
> > position). Can either of these be used on my freewheel?
>
> Probably not.
>
> > I don't know what letter position the 14t cog is.
>
> The Perfect and Winner freewheels are different systems (though a few of the cogs can go back
> and forth).
>
> > I've Googled for 'Suntour Perfect freewheel 13 tooth cog' and gotten no suitable hits. The best
> > I can find is a NOS freewheel from Sheldon Brown (13-34).
>
> If you must have a 13 tooth cog you will probably have to get a different freewheel.

Yeah, I'll probably get one from Harris Cyclery.

> If you get a Winner or New Winner you can move a few of the largest cogs on your perfect freewheel
> over to your new freewheel.

Nah, that's not so important.

> Bruce
> --
> Bruce Jackson - Sr Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

Phil

"Etaoin Shrdlu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> All -
>
> (This time I'll crosspost, so I don't have to switch back & forth)
>
> I've got a Suntour Perfect freewheel with a 14t cog that I'd like to replace with a 13t cog. This
> 14t cog is the smallest cog on the freewheel.
>
> I saw on Loosescrews, a 13t cog for Winner freewheels (one for the 'L' position, one for the 'S'
> position). Can either of these be used on my freewheel? I don't know what letter position the
> 14t cog is.
>
> I've Googled for 'Suntour Perfect freewheel 13 tooth cog' and gotten no suitable hits. The best I
> can find is a NOS freewheel from Sheldon Brown (13-34).

Perfect bodies are threaded such that 14t is the smallest size possible. In the Winner systems the
body has a much smaller start thread. http://www.yellowjersey.org/stfw.html

A Muzi wrote:

> "Etaoin Shrdlu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > All -
> >
> > (This time I'll crosspost, so I don't have to switch back & forth)
> >
> > I've got a Suntour Perfect freewheel with a 14t cog that I'd like to replace with a 13t cog.
> > This 14t cog is the smallest cog on the freewheel.
> >
> > I saw on Loosescrews, a 13t cog for Winner freewheels (one for the 'L' position, one for the 'S'
> > position). Can either of these be used on my freewheel? I don't know what letter position the
> > 14t cog is.
> >
> > I've Googled for 'Suntour Perfect freewheel 13 tooth cog' and gotten no suitable hits. The best
> > I can find is a NOS freewheel from Sheldon Brown (13-34).
>
> Perfect bodies are threaded such that 14t is the smallest size possible. In the Winner systems the
> body has a much smaller start thread.

Thanks. Even more informative than Bruce Jackson's reply.

Phil