replacing cogwheels on a Shimano cassette?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cow2215, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. cow2215

    cow2215 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2003
    hi all,

    question: i finally got around to replacing the chain on my bike, and sure enough i need to replace my cogs as well.

    i use my mtb mainly to tool around town, so the wear is essentially all on my 6th and 7th cogwheels on my rear cassette (a shimano ?HG from circa 1991, 11-?28)

    from what i remember the last/smallest 3-4 rings on the cassette are removeable from the rest of the cassette...i'm pretty sure the progression is 11-12-14 because i bought a 13t ring to switch it to 11-12-13 but never got around to it. :rolleyes: )

    is it still possible to get individual cogwheels for this cassette? or will i have to get a new cassette?
    (i can't remember what company i ordered the original cogwheel from, but they sold a LOT of small parts individually, with a B&W catalog on newsprint??)

    thanks in advance

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 01 May 2003 04:00:37 +0950, cow2215 wrote:

    > hi all,
    >
    > question: i finally got around to replacing the chain on my bike, and sure enough i need to
    > replace my cogs as well.
    >
    > i use my mtb mainly to tool around town, so the wear is essentially all on my 6th and 7th
    > cogwheels on my rear cassette (a shimano ?HG from circa 1991, 11-?28)
    >
    > from what i remember the last/smallest 3-4 rings on the cassette are removeable from the rest of
    > the cassette...i'm pretty sure the progression is 11-12-14 because i bought a 13t ring to switch
    > it to 11-12-13 but never got around to it. :rolleyes: )
    >
    > is it still possible to get individual cogwheels for this cassette? or will i have to get a new
    > cassette? (i can't remember what company i ordered the original cogwheel from, but they sold a LOT
    > of small parts individually, with a B&W catalog on newsprint??)
    >
    > thanks in advance

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#sprockets

  3. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "cow2215" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hi all,
    >
    > question: i finally got around to replacing the chain on
    my bike, and
    > sure enough i need to replace my cogs as well.
    >
    > i use my mtb mainly to tool around town, so the wear is
    essentially all
    > on my 6th and 7th cogwheels on my rear cassette (a shimano
    ?HG from
    > circa 1991, 11-?28)
    >
    > from what i remember the last/smallest 3-4 rings on the
    cassette are
    > removeable from the rest of the cassette...i'm pretty sure
    the
    > progression is 11-12-14 because i bought a 13t ring to
    switch it to
    > 11-12-13 but never got around to it. :rolleyes: )
    >
    > is it still possible to get individual cogwheels for this
    cassette? or
    > will i have to get a new cassette? (i can't remember what
    company i
    > ordered the original cogwheel from, but they sold a LOT of
    small parts
    > individually, with a B&W catalog on newsprint??)
    >
    > thanks in advance

    Seven/eight speed Shimano cassettes can be taken apart - you may have to grind out the three rivets
    or unscrew the three bolts that hold together the largest sprockets

    But it'll be cheaper to replace the whole cassette - if you shop around you can still find new seven
    speed (I'm assuming you need seven speed?) Shimano HG50 or HG70 cassettes in several different sizes
    - I just bought a 13-28 HG70 for about $20, and the same place had HG50's for about $15.

    You should probably change the chain as well...