Replacing cones on 8 speed Campy Record Rear Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fredrick

Savy bike mechanics,

I have a early 1990's 8 speed Campagnolo Record rear hub that has been bit neglected and now I
cannot adjust out the slop in the bearings. Either the wheel spins ok but flops side to side, or the
bearings are too tight. I have replaced the 1/4 inch and 7/32 inch ball bearings on both left and
right sides, and the left side cone bearing but the slop is still there. So now I want to replace
the right side cone bearing and both inner bearing races that are pressed into the hub. My
questions:

1) How do I tell if the right side cone bearing is a separate piece from the axle and is replacable?
Or is it ground into the axle and not replacable? The right side cone bearing is the same dark
color as the axle. If it is replacable, I figure I can drive it off with a punch, but how do I
push it back onto the axle without damaging the bearing surface?

2) Can I replace the bearing races that are pressed into the hub? If so, where can I get the new
parts, how to I extract the bearing races from the hub, and how do I re-install the races into
the hub without damaging them?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

--
Fquasimoto

Frederick-<< 1) How do I tell if the right side cone bearing is a separate piece from the axle and
is replacable? >><BR><BR>

It is replaceable-The interior cone that rides on the 7/32 balls. Taps off, taps on.

<< 2) Can I replace the bearing races that are pressed into the hub? >><BR><BR>

Not really. Once upon a time you could and get cups but not really anymore.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.