replacing crankset - Alivio or Deore/LX? mail-order

"Mike" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Bert L.am wrote:
>
> > PRICING QUESTION
> > Alivio FC-MC 20-L 23 Euro (equiv. to 28 USD)
> > Deore LX 4-Arm Octalink FC-M 572 (round 70 Euro depending on model) (85
> > USD)
> > http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?spr_id=2

> further re roseversand.de, that Alivio price looks good until I saw the
> 12 euro "dispatch charge". No info in int'l shipping.
> Their Deore is octalink only. I need square taper.
> And the website sucks. Javascript doesnt work. Maybe its a microsoft
> only site.
>
> Re Alivio, that one says it needs an IG chain. More worries.
> I guess I'll order the Deore from chainreactioncycles.com UK.
> Its just a pity that so many of the goodies on their website
> are "Out of Stock".

You may want to mail them directly with your queries. They are real
helpfull. (Is a must be to survive in the German market).
About the marketing language. I know the difference between LX, XT and XTR
by experience. A crank will not suffer from a though ride under hard
conditions, but everything that is subject to wear does. For the type of
rider that I am XT is just ok. When I used LX it was cheaper initially, but
I had to change rolling parts more often and during rides in wet and muddy
conditions the behaviour (like shifting with one click) it was less.

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

DRS wrote:
> "gescom" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>I know it might be expensive but you can get a XT model crank with a
>>48 tooth max chainring which would be better suited for road riding.

What! and give up the 22-tooth granny? Walk up those 20% grades? :)
A 44:11 gear is plenty high enough for a mountain bike.
Thats 100", 8m/rev, 43km/hr at 90rpm.

I'd like to have a 22-32-48 combination. Will any derailers work well
with that? I guess not, or people would do it.

> There's also a 48-36-26 Deore crank but my understanding is it's ordinarily
> only available in Europe (we get the 44-32-22). I have no idea why.

No demand? I guess its not intended for use with a compact (ie 11T)
cassette.

amirm wrote:

> I just finished upgrading the drivetrain of my new bike from Deore to
> XT.

So are you selling the Deore parts? :)

> I bought the majority of parts new from e-bay. Savings of 25-40% off

I had a look at past sales there. Lots of XT stuff, but not much
midrange that I recognised.

> For Deore performance, I was not happy with the shift operation in front

You must be young :) Even the low-end shimano shifting is so far ahead of
what we used to use, I cant complain. So you need to take the load off
the pedals before shifting chainrings. Doesnt bother me. Do the
expensive parts avoid the need for that?
I'll bet an Acera rear shifter still changes more easily than an XT
front shifter :)

> at all. With the new 760 series cranks and derailleur, the difference is
> very very visible. And with exterrnal bearing design of new 760, the

I'd say I dont care about looks, but you'd know I was lying.

> With changing cranks or chainrings need to be careful with derailleur
> compatibility, bottom bracket compatibility and your chain length.

Yes, thanks. I've read lots of sheldonbrown.com . Am sticking with the
old square-taper BB. Not worth the effort of changing.

> Sometimes bright and simple ideas on upgrading could burn a whole in the
> pocket due to unforeseen incompatibilities.

I hope I gave enough info for someone to point out a problem. I'm
sticking similar to the old parts. Front derailer cage has plenty of
spare height. Square BB. HG chain. Shimano 9-speed.

I think the old front derailer and crankset are 8-speed. Its a bit
fussy about adjustment to get quick up-shifts without holding the
lever in.

> The gain with moving to Deore is access to hollowtech and octalink
> technology which save weight and increases stiffness. If these are not
> important, no need for them. XT is the reliable performance level in
> this family while Deore is the bread and butter level. LX is in between.
> If the looks is important, LX is a winner since it's got XT's looks but
> not as pricy. The current LX FC M572 crankset looks different from
> current Deore FC M510. The shape of arms suggests stiffer operation.
> Haven't checked the rings closely, though.

Ta. Sounds like Deore for me.
Mike.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> DRS wrote:

[...]

> I'd like to have a 22-32-48 combination. Will any derailers work well
> with that? I guess not, or people would do it.

I think (from memory) the Deore derailleur has a maximum tooth difference of
12.

>> There's also a 48-36-26 Deore crank but my understanding is it's
>> ordinarily only available in Europe (we get the 44-32-22). I have
>> no idea why.

> No demand? I guess its not intended for use with a compact (ie 11T)
> cassette.

No demand because nobody here knows it exists, maybe. I only found out by
accident, from a bloke who imported the 48T big ring from a UK store.

--

A: Top-posters.

Jose Rizal wrote:

> aebike.com has a good selection of cranks and chainrings. Their

Bingo! They certainly do. Good website, with huge choice, and low prices.
They list a FC-M440-C which has all the right specs
(9-spd, non-riveted, 170mm, chainguard (yes!), 22-32-44, steel rings, sq
taper.)

> international shipping seems reasonable too (there's a shipping
> estimator on their website). The downside is that they don't sell
> Shimano components over the internet, but they do over the phone. If

I just phoned them, and he told me that internet orders for Shimano
will be working on the weekend. A long story, apparently.

They send USPS, so can have up to A$500 per order without GST.
(Customs has $250 limit for couiered orders to be tax-free.)
And they are in Kalamazoo. What a cool name for a city.

Thanks Jose.