replacing crankset - Alivio or Deore/LX? mail-order

Mike

Guest
I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour crankset.
I guess the Alivio crankset would be an equivalent replacement,
but is it worth paying a bit more for the Deore?
LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not much better.

- Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
- Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from chainreation.com .

The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings as a liability
on a compact MTB set.
Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too, reducing
the postage margin.
Is it still true that small orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not
be bothered by customs?
Any better mail-order vendors for MTB parts?

Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore and LX 9-speed
cassettes is the lock-ring colour?

Mike.

P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late! :-(

>Originally posted by Mike I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use
>MTB.

I would've thought that postage costs would make this kind of purchase
prohibitive? Don't you have another bike shop you can go to nearby?

I prefer Deore (I have LX now) for its looks and the lighter weight.

hippy

--

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
> Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour crankset.
> I guess the Alivio crankset would be an equivalent replacement,
> but is it worth paying a bit more for the Deore?
> LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not much better.
>
> - Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
> - Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from chainreation.com .
>
> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings as a liability
> on a compact MTB set.
> Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
> on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too, reducing
> the postage margin.
> Is it still true that small orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not
> be bothered by customs?
> Any better mail-order vendors for MTB parts?
>
> Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore and LX 9-speed
> cassettes is the lock-ring colour?
>
> Mike.
>
> P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late! :-(

dunno about the cranks, but everytime i've tried ordering stuff from nashbar
the postage charge has nearly knocked me over..once i ordered a $35us
jersey, they emailed me saying the postage would be $45us.
It was a similar story when i tried ordering a set of ultegra hubs, postage
was about as expensive as the hubs themselves.

Both cases i cancelled the order

dejonica wrote:
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
>>Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour crankset.
>>I guess the Alivio crankset would be an equivalent replacement,
>>but is it worth paying a bit more for the Deore?
>>LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not much better.
>>
>>- Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
>>- Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from chainreation.com .
>>
>>The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings as a liability
>>on a compact MTB set.
>> Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
>>on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too, reducing
>>the postage margin.
>> Is it still true that small orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not
>>be bothered by customs?
>> Any better mail-order vendors for MTB parts?
>>
>>Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore and LX 9-speed
>>cassettes is the lock-ring colour?
>>
>>Mike.
>>
>>P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late! :-(

> dunno about the cranks, but everytime i've tried ordering stuff from nashbar
> the postage charge has nearly knocked me over..once i ordered a $35us
> jersey, they emailed me saying the postage would be $45us.
> It was a similar story when i tried ordering a set of ultegra hubs, postage
> was about as expensive as the hubs themselves.
>
> Both cases i cancelled the order

I got some gear from Harris Cyclery - it was $20 US postage for some
brifters - seemed about right. Also ordered a Generator hub earlier and
was about the same.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
> Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour crankset.
> I guess the Alivio crankset would be an equivalent replacement,
> but is it worth paying a bit more for the Deore?
> LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not much better.
>
> - Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
> - Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from chainreation.com .
>
> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings as a liability
> on a compact MTB set.
> Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
> on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too, reducing
> the postage margin.
> Is it still true that small orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not
> be bothered by customs?
> Any better mail-order vendors for MTB parts?
>
> Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore and LX 9-speed
> cassettes is the lock-ring colour?
>
> Mike.
>
> P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late! :-(

Hi Mike,

I have used Nashbar but postage is expensive. In my case I had it locally
delivered to a brother in San Jose who either carried it out or posted via
USPS.

I suggest that you check out eBay Australia there are usually brand new
crank sets going on a regular basis and the price including postage is
usually good.

The question that comes to my mind is why can't you just replace the chain
ring that is worn. If you use the bike mostly on road I expect you need a
new large ring. I picked a 46T BBB from Cecil Walkers and it shifts fine,
they also do mail order and perhaps you can pick a new SRAM chain to boot.
Just a thought.

Kevin

"Mike" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
> Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour crankset.
> I guess the Alivio crankset would be an equivalent replacement,
> but is it worth paying a bit more for the Deore?
> LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not much better.
>
> - Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
> - Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from chainreation.com .
>
> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings as a liability
> on a compact MTB set.
> Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
> on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too, reducing
> the postage margin.
> Is it still true that small orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not
> be bothered by customs?
> Any better mail-order vendors for MTB parts?
>
> Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore and LX 9-speed
> cassettes is the lock-ring colour?
>
> Mike.
>
> P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late! :-(

PRICING QUESTION
Alivio FC-MC 20-L 23 Euro (equiv. to 28 USD)
Deore LX 4-Arm Octalink FC-M 572 (round 70 Euro depending on model) (85
USD)

http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?spr_id=2

It is a good shop, just accros the border in Germany, they ship worldwide.

WHICH EQUIPMENT QUESTION
Shimano discriminates between equipment type and rider type in the following
manner. Make sure you put yourself in the correct class. My repair,
maintenance and replacement bill went down when I upgraded from LX to XT
because I developed into a different type of rider and the LX equipment
couldn't catch up with me.
-Deore LX (MTB Enthusiast)
-Deore (MTB Adv. Recreational)
-Alivio (MTB Novice Recreational

CASSETTE QUESTION
Shimano CS-HG70-9 (LX Cassette)
Wide-Range Mega-9 Gearing
Close ratio 9-speed sprocket cluster with up to 32T low gear results in a
wider range of gear choices and a lower bottom end.
Lightweight Design
HG sprockets are strategically drilled out to reduce weight, and maintain
strength. 9-speed cluster actually weighs almost the same as previous
8-speed types.

HG Sprocket Design / Special 9-speed HG sprocket design insures fast and
positive shifting.

Alloy Sprocket Carrier No
Number of Sprockets 9-speed HG
Group Identification ar
Sprocket steel
Sprocket Finish pearl bright finish
Chain Compatibility Super Narrow HG
Weight 330g

Shimano CS-HG50-9 (Deore Cassette)
Wide-Range Mega-9 Gearing
Close ratio 9-speed sprocket cluster with up to 32T low gear results in a
wider range of gear choices and a lower bottom end.
HG Sprocket Design
Special 9-speed HG sprocket design insures fast and positive shifting.

Alloy Sprocket Carrier No
Number of Sprockets 9-speed HG
Group Identification ar
Sprocket steel
Sprocket Finish Ni-plated
Chain Compatibility Super Narrow HG
Weight 358g

cheers,

Bert

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

news:[email protected]
>> Originally posted by Mike I need a new crankset for the
>> mostly-road-use MTB.

> I would've thought that postage costs would make this kind of purchase
> prohibitive? Don't you have another bike shop you can go to nearby?

You can sometimes get good deals from the States particularly as long as
they don't use couriers to freight the goods. The ****tards at Nashbar only
use FedEx for their international shipping, who are ridiculously expensive.
Sheldon Brown/Harris Cyclery uses US Post.

> I prefer Deore (I have LX now) for its looks and the lighter weight.

Deore over Alivio every time.

--

A: Top-posters.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
> Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour crankset.
> I guess the Alivio crankset would be an equivalent replacement,
> but is it worth paying a bit more for the Deore?
> LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not much better.
>
> - Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
> - Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from chainreation.com .

The Deore is a tad lighter than the Alivio and also has a larger big ring
(44T versus 42T). There's not a big difference unless you go to the Deore
Octalink which uses a splined crank arm mount and therefore a different
bottom bracket.

> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings as a
> liability on a compact MTB set.

Why?

> Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose
> based on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too, reducing
> the postage margin.

Nashbar only uses FedEx for international orders. FedEx are moronically
expensive. You will not be buying from Nashbar unless you've got a mate in
the States to reship it for you using US Post.

> Is it still true that small orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not
> be bothered by customs?

It's all on the Customs web site, under Import/Export > Importing Goods >
Buying over the Internet.

http://www.customs.gov.au/

--

A: Top-posters.

Deore cranksets and models above use shimano's hollowtech spline setup
so you will have to replace the bottom bracket as well. I'm not sure
about the Alivio so check the compatibility with your current bb type
before you buy.

I've bought things online with Phantom Cycles
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/ and can recommend them. I found its
best to check whether they have what you want in stock before ordering
to avoid any delay though.

I know it might be expensive but you can get a XT model crank with a 48
tooth max chainring which would be better suited for road riding.

--

"gescom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> I know it might be expensive but you can get a XT model crank with a
> 48 tooth max chainring which would be better suited for road riding.

There's also a 48-36-26 Deore crank but my understanding is it's ordinarily
only available in Europe (we get the 44-32-22). I have no idea why.

--

A: Top-posters.

Bert L.am:

> WHICH EQUIPMENT QUESTION
> Shimano discriminates between equipment type and rider type in the following
> manner. Make sure you put yourself in the correct class.
> couldn't catch up with me.
> -Deore LX (MTB Enthusiast)
> -Deore (MTB Adv. Recreational)
> -Alivio (MTB Novice Recreational

This is just marketing, no substance to this whatsoever so disregard.

Before the 9 speed drivetrains came out, Alivio was the top of the
8-speed class. Deore is the bottom of the 9-speed class.

Mike:

> I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
> Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour crankset.
> I guess the Alivio crankset would be an equivalent replacement,
> but is it worth paying a bit more for the Deore?
> LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not much better.

Why do you want to change the cranks? Why not just get new chainrings
in the sizes that you want?

> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings as a liability
> on a compact MTB set.

Alloy rings never match steel rings for durability, so if you keep your
Suntour cranks you may have more shop options for steel chainrings.

> Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
> on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too, reducing
> the postage margin.

Choose according to your needs. Try some of the UK sites like SJS
Cycles.

> Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore and LX 9-speed
> cassettes is the lock-ring colour?

There certainly isn't any difference in durability between lower- and
upper-end models for cassettes and chains. Buy the cheapest cassette
and chain that you can, and replace as required.

Mike wrote:
> I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB. Currently has Deore 9
> speed rear end, and Suntour crankset. I guess the Alivio crankset would
> be an equivalent replacement, but is it worth paying a bit more for the
> Deore? LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not much better.
> - Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
> - Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from chainreation.com .
> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings as a liability
> on a compact MTB set. Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I
> should choose based on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain
> too, reducing the postage margin. Is it still true that small orders via
> USPS or Royal Mail will not be bothered by customs? Any better mail-
> order vendors for MTB parts?
> Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore and LX 9-speed
> cassettes is the lock-ring colour?
> Mike.
> P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late! :-(

I just finished upgrading the drivetrain of my new bike from Deore to
XT. I bought the majority of parts new from e-bay. Savings of 25-40% off
current prices online (even more savings when compared to LBS prices).
So one option is e-bay.

For online shopping (or mail order) from Aussie shops, Phantom Cycles
have been my first choice so far. I just bought a set of LX shifters on
special for $98.

Came close to order stuff from Singapore, but hidden costs
changed my mind.

For Deore performance, I was not happy with the shift operation in front
at all. With the new 760 series cranks and derailleur, the difference is
very very visible. And with exterrnal bearing design of new 760, the
cranks look awesome. Happy to have done it.

With changing cranks or chainrings need to be careful with derailleur
compatibility, bottom bracket compatibility and your chain length.
Sometimes bright and simple ideas on upgrading could burn a whole in the
pocket due to unforeseen incompatibilities. Before you order anything,
I'd suggest you take your bike to a good LBS and find out what you need.

The gain with moving to Deore is access to hollowtech and octalink
technology which save weight and increases stiffness. If these are not
important, no need for them. XT is the reliable performance level in
this family while Deore is the bread and butter level. LX is in between.
If the looks is important, LX is a winner since it's got XT's looks but
not as pricy. The current LX FC M572 crankset looks different from
current Deore FC M510. The shape of arms suggests stiffer operation.
Haven't checked the rings closely, though.

Good Luck!

--

Bert L.am wrote:

> PRICING QUESTION
> Alivio FC-MC 20-L 23 Euro (equiv. to 28 USD)
> Deore LX 4-Arm Octalink FC-M 572 (round 70 Euro depending on model) (85
> USD)
>
> http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?spr_id=2

Thanks Bert.
But whats wrong with that website? I followed the menu to cranksets,
found 18 listed but no Alivio or Deore. Some other Shimano though.
Searching on "Alivio" and "deore" found more. I think they just have
octalink for the latter, no sq. taper. But maybe i just can't find it.

> WHICH EQUIPMENT QUESTION
> Shimano discriminates between equipment type and rider type in the following

"market segments", they mean. I hope this isn't _you_ talking.

> manner. Make sure you put yourself in the correct class. My repair,
> maintenance and replacement bill went down when I upgraded from LX to XT

Is this a real person? Or some hypothetical invention?
My marketing-******** detector is going way off the scale.

> because I developed into a different type of rider and the LX equipment
> couldn't catch up with me.

<beep>!!!!

> -Deore LX (MTB Enthusiast)
> -Deore (MTB Adv. Recreational)
> -Alivio (MTB Novice Recreational

Yes, I've seen the glossy advertising, but whats the real difference? I
dont care about a few grams. Nor do I race off-road and hit rocks &
logs. I know Alivio is an 8-speed system. The marketing implies an
Alivio crankset won't work well with a narrow chain, but thats BS.
Does it wear faster?

> CASSETTE QUESTION .....

All that tells me is the difference between a Deore and LX cassette is
28g (suspiciously exactly 1 Oz.) and the colour. Looks like its the
same steel (so same wear), same ratios, same ramps. Thanks.

Jose Rizal wrote:

> Why do you want to change the cranks? Why not just get new chainrings
> in the sizes that you want?

Middle ring is gone, and riveted to the granny. Right crank slightly
bent. Big ring significanly worn.

> Alloy rings never match steel rings for durability, so if you keep your
> Suntour cranks you may have more shop options for steel chainrings.

Its a 4-arm 104mm crank, compatible with Shimano, I think. But no inner
bolts for granny. Cheaper than other components on the bike (Giant Iguana).

> Choose according to your needs. Try some of the UK sites like SJS
> Cycles.

Thanks. SJSC has a good webiste, but prices rather higher than
chainreactioncycles.com .

> There certainly isn't any difference in durability between lower- and
> upper-end models for cassettes and chains. Buy the cheapest cassette
> and chain that you can, and replace as required.

Ta. I'll get the cheapest 9-speed models then.

Bert L.am wrote:

> PRICING QUESTION
> Alivio FC-MC 20-L 23 Euro (equiv. to 28 USD)
> Deore LX 4-Arm Octalink FC-M 572 (round 70 Euro depending on model) (85
> USD)
> http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?spr_id=2

further re roseversand.de, that Alivio price looks good until I saw the
12 euro "dispatch charge". No info in int'l shipping.
Their Deore is octalink only. I need square taper.
And the website sucks. Javascript doesnt work. Maybe its a microsoft
only site.

Re Alivio, that one says it needs an IG chain. More worries.
I guess I'll order the Deore from chainreactioncycles.com UK.
Its just a pity that so many of the goodies on their website
are "Out of Stock".

hippy wrote:

> I would've thought that postage costs would make this kind of purchase
> prohibitive?

Seems true for nashbar.
But Deore crankset from UK is £40 -vat + £7.50 post = ~A$102 delivered.
The LBS is almost as much for an Acera-X.

> Don't you have another bike shop you can go to nearby?

Lots of smaller ones. Too many. But they won't have stock, and will be
expensive for parts. Why get them to order in, when I can DIY?

K&C Russell wrote:

> I have used Nashbar but postage is expensive. In my case I had it locally
> delivered to a brother in San Jose who either carried it out or posted via

Hi Kevin. OK, ta. Nashbar is out.

> I suggest that you check out eBay Australia there are usually brand new

OK ... Nothing current. I had a look at past sales. Mostly high end.
Nothing I knew enough about to have ordered.

> The question that comes to my mind is why can't you just replace the chain
> ring that is worn.

Good Q. Its a cheapie with granny rivetted to worn middle ring. I could
have replaced the outer.

> If you use the bike mostly on road I expect you need a
> new large ring.

On road, but lots of hills, even mountains with panniers.

regards, Mike.

Mike:

> > Choose according to your needs. Try some of the UK sites like SJS
> > Cycles.

> Thanks. SJSC has a good webiste, but prices rather higher than
> chainreactioncycles.com .

aebike.com has a good selection of cranks and chainrings. Their
international shipping seems reasonable too (there's a shipping
estimator on their website). The downside is that they don't sell
Shimano components over the internet, but they do over the phone. If
you write down your order, you can place it within a few minutes' worth
of a call.

>Originally posted by Mike

>Seems true for nashbar. But Deore crankset from UK is £40 -vat + £7.50
>post = ~A$102 delivered. The LBS is almost as much for an Acera-X.

Cecil Walker (Melbourne) have Deore crankset for $134:
http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category158_1.htm

Personally I'd save the hassle rather than the $32 and buy locally. You
could probably find it cheaper too but it's up to you.

hippy