replacing crankset - Alivio or Deore/LX? mail-order

Mike

Guest
I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour crankset.
I guess the Alivio crankset would be an equivalent replacement,
but is it worth paying a bit more for the Deore?
LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not much better.

- Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
- Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from chainReationCycles.com .

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=81&subcategory=1031&brand=&sku=8108
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Cranksets&ModelID=4427

The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings as a liability
on a compact MTB set.
Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too, reducing
the postage margin.
Is it still true that small orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not
be bothered by customs?
Any better mail-order vendors for MTB parts?

Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore and LX 9-speed
cassettes is the lock-ring colour?

Mike.

P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late! :-(

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
> Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour crankset.
> I guess the Alivio crankset would be an equivalent replacement,
> but is it worth paying a bit more for the Deore?
> LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not much better.
>
> - Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
> - Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from chainReationCycles.com .

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=81&subcategory=1031&brand=&sku=8108

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Cranksets&ModelID=4427

> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings as a liability
> on a compact MTB set.
> Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
> on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too, reducing
> the postage margin.
> Is it still true that small orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not
> be bothered by customs?
> Any better mail-order vendors for MTB parts?
>
> Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore and LX 9-speed
> cassettes is the lock-ring colour?
>
> Mike.
>
> P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late! :-(

Mike,

I have placed a lot of orders through chain reaction cycles and it always
arrives in about 5 working days.
The most I have had to pay for postage was $17Aus and that was for a
crankset, rings and bottom bracket.
I have also gotten away without paying any customs duty.

I recently tried nashbar for a pair of gloves, hydropak bladder and
underseat bag but the postage was a whopping $100us.
Same thing from chainreaction cycles was $7Aus. go figure.

Hope this helps
Chad