replacing crankset - Alivio or Deore/LX? mail-order

Mike

Guest
I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB. Currently
has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour crankset. I guess
the Alivio crankset would be an equivalent replacement, but
is it worth paying a bit more for the Deore? LBS is
expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not much better.

- Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
- Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from
chainreation.com .

The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings as
a liability on a compact MTB set. Anyone have experience
with these shops? Maybe I should choose based on the shop.
I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too, reducing the
postage margin. Is it still true that small orders via USPS
or Royal Mail will not be bothered by customs? Any better
mail-order vendors for MTB parts?

Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore and
LX 9-speed cassettes is the lock-ring colour?

Mike.

P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late! :-(

>Originally posted by Mike
>I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.

I would've thought that postage costs would make this
kind of purchase prohibitive? Don't you have another
bike shop you can go to nearby?

I prefer Deore (I have LX now) for its looks and the
lighter weight.

hippy

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
>Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour crankset.
>I guess the Alivio crankset would be an equivalent
>replacement, but is it worth paying a bit more for the
>Deore? LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail order not
>much better.
>
> - Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
> - Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from
> chainreation.com .
>
> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings
> as a liability on a compact MTB set. Anyone have
> experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
> on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too,
> reducing the postage margin. Is it still true that small
> orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not be bothered by
> customs? Any better mail-order vendors for MTB parts?
>
> Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore
> and LX 9-speed cassettes is the lock-ring colour?
>
> Mike.
>
> P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late!
> :-(

dunno about the cranks, but everytime i've tried ordering
stuff from nashbar the postage charge has nearly knocked me
over..once i ordered a $35us jersey, they emailed me saying
the postage would be $45us. It was a similar story when i
tried ordering a set of ultegra hubs, postage was about as
expensive as the hubs themselves.

Both cases i cancelled the order

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
> Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour
> crankset. I guess the Alivio crankset would be an
> equivalent replacement, but is it worth paying a bit more
> for the Deore? LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail
> order not much better.
>
> - Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
> - Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from
> chainreation.com .
>
> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings
> as a liability on a compact MTB set. Anyone have
> experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
> on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too,
> reducing the postage margin. Is it still true that small
> orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not be bothered by
> customs? Any better mail-order vendors for MTB parts?
>
> Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore
> and LX 9-speed cassettes is the lock-ring colour?
>
> Mike.
>
> P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late!
> :-(

Hi Mike,

I have used Nashbar but postage is expensive. In my case I
had it locally delivered to a brother in San Jose who either
carried it out or posted via USPS.

I suggest that you check out eBay Australia there are
usually brand new crank sets going on a regular basis and
the price including postage is usually good.

The question that comes to my mind is why can't you just
replace the chain ring that is worn. If you use the bike
mostly on road I expect you need a new large ring. I picked
a 46T BBB from Cecil Walkers and it shifts fine, they also
do mail order and perhaps you can pick a new SRAM chain to
boot. Just a thought.

Kevin

dejonica wrote:
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
>>Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour
>>crankset. I guess the Alivio crankset would be an
>>equivalent replacement, but is it worth paying a bit more
>>for the Deore? LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail
>>order not much better.
>>
>>- Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
>>- Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from
>> chainreation.com .
>>
>>The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings
>>as a liability on a compact MTB set. Anyone have
>>experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
>>on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too,
>>reducing the postage margin. Is it still true that small
>>orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not be bothered by
>>customs? Any better mail-order vendors for MTB parts?
>>
>>Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore
>>and LX 9-speed cassettes is the lock-ring colour?
>>
>>Mike.
>>
>>P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late!
>> :-(
>

> dunno about the cranks, but everytime i've tried ordering
> stuff from nashbar the postage charge has nearly knocked
> me over..once i ordered a $35us jersey, they emailed me
> saying the postage would be $45us. It was a similar story
> when i tried ordering a set of ultegra hubs, postage was
> about as expensive as the hubs themselves.
>
> Both cases i cancelled the order

I got some gear from Harris Cyclery - it was $20 US postage
for some brifters - seemed about right. Also ordered a
Generator hub earlier and was about the same.

"Mike" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
> Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour
> crankset. I guess the Alivio crankset would be an
> equivalent replacement, but is it worth paying a bit more
> for the Deore? LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail
> order not much better.
>
> - Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
> - Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from
> chainreation.com .
>
> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings
> as a liability on a compact MTB set. Anyone have
> experience with these shops? Maybe I should choose based
> on the shop. I'll be ordering a cassette & chain too,
> reducing the postage margin. Is it still true that small
> orders via USPS or Royal Mail will not be bothered by
> customs? Any better mail-order vendors for MTB parts?
>
> Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore
> and LX 9-speed cassettes is the lock-ring colour?
>
> Mike.
>
> P.S. remember to change that chain before its too late!
> :-(

PRICING QUESTION Alivio FC-MC 20-L 23 Euro (equiv. to 28
USD) Deore LX 4-Arm Octalink FC-M 572 (round 70 Euro
depending on model) (85 USD)

http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?spr_id=2

It is a good shop, just accros the border in Germany, they
ship worldwide.

WHICH EQUIPMENT QUESTION Shimano discriminates between
equipment type and rider type in the following manner. Make
sure you put yourself in the correct class. My repair,
maintenance and replacement bill went down when I upgraded
from LX to XT because I developed into a different type of
rider and the LX equipment couldn't catch up with me. -Deore
LX (MTB Enthusiast) -Deore (MTB Adv. Recreational) -Alivio
(MTB Novice Recreational

CASSETTE QUESTION Shimano CS-HG70-9 (LX Cassette) Wide-Range
Mega-9 Gearing Close ratio 9-speed sprocket cluster with up
to 32T low gear results in a wider range of gear choices and
a lower bottom end. Lightweight Design HG sprockets are
strategically drilled out to reduce weight, and maintain
strength. 9-speed cluster actually weighs almost the same as
previous 8-speed types.

HG Sprocket Design / Special 9-speed HG sprocket design
insures fast and positive shifting.

Alloy Sprocket Carrier No Number of Sprockets 9-speed HG
Group Identification ar Sprocket steel Sprocket Finish
pearl bright finish Chain Compatibility Super Narrow HG
Weight 330g

Shimano CS-HG50-9 (Deore Cassette) Wide-Range Mega-9 Gearing
Close ratio 9-speed sprocket cluster with up to 32T low gear
results in a wider range of gear choices and a lower bottom
end. HG Sprocket Design Special 9-speed HG sprocket design
insures fast and positive shifting.

Alloy Sprocket Carrier No Number of Sprockets 9-speed HG
Group Identification ar Sprocket steel Sprocket Finish Ni-
plated Chain Compatibility Super Narrow HG Weight 358g

cheers,

Bert

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

news:[email protected]
>> Originally posted by Mike I need a new crankset for the
>> mostly-road-use MTB.
>
> I would've thought that postage costs would make this kind
> of purchase prohibitive? Don't you have another bike shop
> you can go to nearby?

You can sometimes get good deals from the States
particularly as long as

use FedEx for their international shipping, who are
ridiculously expensive. Sheldon Brown/Harris Cyclery
uses US Post.

> I prefer Deore (I have LX now) for its looks and the
> lighter weight.

Deore over Alivio every time.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Deore cranksets and models above use shimano's hollowtech spline setup so you will have to replace the bottom bracket as well. I'm not sure about the Alivio so check the compatibility with your current bb type before you buy.

I've bought things online with Phantom Cycles http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/ and can recommend them. I found its best to check whether they have what you want in stock before ordering to avoid any delay though.

I know it might be expensive but you can get a XT model crank with a 48 tooth max chainring which would be better suited for road riding.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
> Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour
> crankset. I guess the Alivio crankset would be an
> equivalent replacement, but is it worth paying a bit more
> for the Deore? LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail
> order not much better.
>
> - Alivio crankset US$43 from Nashbar.com (A$60) (post?)
> - Deore cranksets for £34 (ex-vat, A$83) from
> chainreation.com .

The Deore is a tad lighter than the Alivio and also has a
larger big ring (44T versus 42T). There's not a big
difference unless you go to the Deore Octalink which uses
a splined crank arm mount and therefore a different
bottom bracket.

> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings
> as a liability on a compact MTB set.

Why?

> Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I
> should choose based on the shop. I'll be ordering a
> cassette & chain too, reducing the postage margin.

Nashbar only uses FedEx for international orders. FedEx are
moronically expensive. You will not be buying from Nashbar
unless you've got a mate in the States to reship it for you
using US Post.

> Is it still true that small orders via USPS or Royal
> Mail will not be bothered by customs?

It's all on the Customs web site, under Import/Export >
Importing Goods > Buying over the Internet.

http://www.customs.gov.au/

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

"gescom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> I know it might be expensive but you can get a XT model
> crank with a 48 tooth max chainring which would be better
> suited for road riding.

There's also a 48-36-26 Deore crank but my understanding is
it's ordinarily only available in Europe (we get the 44-32-
22). I have no idea why.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Mike:

> I need a new crankset for the mostly-road-use MTB.
> Currently has Deore 9 speed rear end, and Suntour
> crankset. I guess the Alivio crankset would be an
> equivalent replacement, but is it worth paying a bit more
> for the Deore? LBS is expensive and no stock. Aussie mail
> order not much better.

Why do you want to change the cranks? Why not just get new
chainrings in the sizes that you want?

> The LX cranksets are a little more, but I see alloy rings
> as a liability on a compact MTB set.

Alloy rings never match steel rings for durability, so if
you keep your Suntour cranks you may have more shop options
for steel chainrings.

> Anyone have experience with these shops? Maybe I
> should choose based on the shop. I'll be ordering a
> cassette & chain too, reducing the postage margin.

Choose according to your needs. Try some of the UK sites
like SJS Cycles.

> Also, is it true that the only difference between Deore
> and LX 9-speed cassettes is the lock-ring colour?

There certainly isn't any difference in durability between
lower- and upper-end models for cassettes and chains. Buy
the cheapest cassette and chain that you can, and replace
as required.

Bert L.am:

> WHICH EQUIPMENT QUESTION Shimano discriminates between
> equipment type and rider type in the following manner.
> Make sure you put yourself in the correct class. couldn't
> catch up with me. -Deore LX (MTB Enthusiast) -Deore (MTB
> Adv. Recreational) -Alivio (MTB Novice Recreational

This is just marketing, no substance to this whatsoever so
disregard.

Before the 9 speed drivetrains came out, Alivio was the
top of the 8-speed class. Deore is the bottom of the 9-
speed class.

Originally posted by Mike
[...]

I just finished upgrading the drivetrain of my new bike from Deore to XT. I bought the majority of parts new from e-bay. Savings of 25-40% off current prices online (even more savings when compared to LBS prices). So one option is e-bay.

For online shopping (or mail order) from Aussie shops, Phantom Cycles have been my first choice so far. I just bought a set of LX shifters on special for $98.

Came close to order stuff from Singapore, but hidden costs changed my mind.

For Deore performance, I was not happy with the shift operation in front at all. With the new 760 series cranks and derailleur, the difference is very very visible. And with exterrnal bearing design of new 760, the cranks look awesome. Happy to have done it.

With changing cranks or chainrings need to be careful with derailleur compatibility, bottom bracket compatibility and your chain length. Sometimes bright and simple ideas on upgrading could burn a whole in the pocket due to unforeseen incompatibilities. Before you order anything, I'd suggest you take your bike to a good LBS and find out what you need.

The gain with moving to Deore is access to hollowtech and octalink technology which save weight and increases stiffness. If these are not important, no need for them. XT is the reliable performance level in this family while Deore is the bread and butter level. LX is in between. If the looks is important, LX is a winner since it's got XT's looks but not as pricy. The current LX FC M572 crankset looks different from current Deore FC M510. The shape of arms suggests stiffer operation. Haven't checked the rings closely, though.

Good Luck!

Bert L.am wrote:

> PRICING QUESTION Alivio FC-MC 20-L 23 Euro (equiv. to 28
> USD) Deore LX 4-Arm Octalink FC-M 572 (round 70 Euro
> depending on model) (85 USD)
>
> http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?spr_id=2

Thanks Bert. But whats wrong with that website? I followed
the menu to cranksets, found 18 listed but no Alivio or
Deore. Some other Shimano though. Searching on "Alivio" and
"deore" found more. I think they just have octalink for the
latter, no sq. taper. But maybe i just can't find it.

> WHICH EQUIPMENT QUESTION Shimano discriminates between
> equipment type and rider type in the following

"market segments", they mean. I hope this isn't _you_
talking.

> manner. Make sure you put yourself in the correct class.
> My repair, maintenance and replacement bill went down when
> I upgraded from LX to XT

Is this a real person? Or some hypothetical invention? My
marketing-******** detector is going way off the scale.

> because I developed into a different type of rider and the
> LX equipment couldn't catch up with me.

<beep>!!!!

> -Deore LX (MTB Enthusiast) -Deore (MTB Adv. Recreational)
> -Alivio (MTB Novice Recreational

Yes, I've seen the glossy advertising, but whats the real
difference? I dont care about a few grams. Nor do I race off-
road and hit rocks & logs. I know Alivio is an 8-speed
system. The marketing implies an Alivio crankset won't work
well with a narrow chain, but thats BS. Does it wear faster?

> CASSETTE QUESTION .....

All that tells me is the difference between a Deore and LX
cassette is 28g (suspiciously exactly 1 Oz.) and the colour.
Looks like its the same steel (so same wear), same ratios,
same ramps. Thanks.

Jose Rizal wrote:

> Why do you want to change the cranks? Why not just get new
> chainrings in the sizes that you want?

Middle ring is gone, and riveted to the granny. Right crank
slightly bent. Big ring significanly worn.

> Alloy rings never match steel rings for durability, so if
> you keep your Suntour cranks you may have more shop
> options for steel chainrings.

Its a 4-arm 104mm crank, compatible with Shimano, I think.
But no inner bolts for granny. Cheaper than other components
on the bike (Giant Iguana).

> Choose according to your needs. Try some of the UK sites
> like SJS Cycles.

Thanks. SJSC has a good webiste, but prices rather higher
than chainreactioncycles.com .

> There certainly isn't any difference in durability between
> lower- and upper-end models for cassettes and chains. Buy
> the cheapest cassette and chain that you can, and replace
> as required.

Ta. I'll get the cheapest 9-speed models then.

Bert L.am wrote:

> PRICING QUESTION Alivio FC-MC 20-L 23 Euro (equiv. to 28
> USD) Deore LX 4-Arm Octalink FC-M 572 (round 70 Euro
> depending on model) (85 USD)
> http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?spr_id=2

further re roseversand.de, that Alivio price looks good
until I saw the 12 euro "dispatch charge". No info in int'l
shipping. Their Deore is octalink only. I need square taper.
And the website sucks. Javascript doesnt work. Maybe its a
microsoft only site.

Re Alivio, that one says it needs an IG chain. More
worries. I guess I'll order the Deore from
chainreactioncycles.com UK. Its just a pity that so many
of the goodies on their website are "Out of Stock".

K&C Russell wrote:

> I have used Nashbar but postage is expensive. In my case I
> had it locally delivered to a brother in San Jose who
> either carried it out or posted via

Hi Kevin. OK, ta. Nashbar is out.

> I suggest that you check out eBay Australia there are
> usually brand new

OK ... Nothing current. I had a look at past sales. Mostly
high end. Nothing I knew enough about to have ordered.

> The question that comes to my mind is why can't you just
> replace the chain ring that is worn.

Good Q. Its a cheapie with granny rivetted to worn middle
ring. I could have replaced the outer.

> If you use the bike mostly on road I expect you need a
> new large ring.

On road, but lots of hills, even mountains with panniers.

regards, Mike.

hippy wrote:

> I would've thought that postage costs would make this kind
> of purchase prohibitive?

Seems true for nashbar. But Deore crankset from UK is £40
-vat + £7.50 post = ~A$102 delivered. The LBS is almost as
much for an Acera-X.

> Don't you have another bike shop you can go to nearby?

Lots of smaller ones. Too many. But they won't have stock,
and will be expensive for parts. Why get them to order in,
when I can DIY?

Mike:

> > Choose according to your needs. Try some of the UK sites
> > like SJS Cycles.

> Thanks. SJSC has a good webiste, but prices rather higher
> than chainreactioncycles.com .

aebike.com has a good selection of cranks and chainrings.
Their international shipping seems reasonable too (there's a
shipping estimator on their website). The downside is that
they don't sell Shimano components over the internet, but
they do over the phone. If you write down your order, you
can place it within a few minutes' worth of a call.

>Originally posted by Mike

>Seems true for nashbar. But Deore crankset from UK is £40
>-vat + £7.50 post = ~A$102 delivered. The LBS is almost as
>much for an Acera-X.

Cecil Walker (Melbourne) have Deore crankset for $134:
http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category158_1.htm

Personally I'd save the hassle rather than the $32 and
buy locally. You could probably find it cheaper too but it's
up to you.

hippy