replacing cruddy SunTour indexing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by lisated, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. lisated

    lisated Guest

    The bike in question is equipped with SunTour XCD hubs and Accushift derailers and shifters(flat bar
    variety). It never did shift all that well, but now that it's getting rather long in the tooth the
    shifting is worse, to the point that the owner is complaining. Since the owner is my wife, I have to
    do something about it.

    The stuff has now been orphaned, and since the hub is of a rather stupid design that precludes good
    adjustment of the bearings anyway, I suppose I have to replace the hub, which means a new rear
    derailer, shifter and cassette, and chain.

    Your suggestions, please, on suitable and reasonably inexpensive parts. In particular, I would like
    to use the existing rim and spokes, so is any commonly available hub similar enough in flange
    spacing and diameter to allow that? The present hub flanges are about 51mm apart and 48 spoke hole
    circle diameter.

    Ted Bennett

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    > The bike in question is equipped with SunTour XCD hubs and Accushift derailers and shifters(flat
    > bar variety). It never did shift all that well, but now that it's getting rather long in the tooth
    > the shifting is worse, to the point that the owner is complaining. Since the owner is my wife, I
    > have to do something about it.
    >
    > The stuff has now been orphaned, and since the hub is of a rather stupid design that precludes
    > good adjustment of the bearings anyway, I suppose I have to replace the hub, which means a new
    > rear derailer, shifter and cassette, and chain.
    >
    > Your suggestions, please, on suitable and reasonably inexpensive parts. In particular, I would
    > like to use the existing rim and spokes, so is any commonly available hub similar enough in flange
    > spacing and diameter to allow that? The present hub flanges are about 51mm apart and 48 spoke hole
    > circle diameter.

    Re-using spokes is a false economy if you place any value at all on your time.

    Here's a tip that might help: If her bike has 6-speed SunTour shifters, they will generally work
    fine with Shimano 7-speed stuff! I've done this on quite a few bikes, and it has always worked. You
    will need a Shimano rear derailer, and pretty much any 7-speed freewheel or cassette. Since you're
    replacing the hub anyway, it would make more sense to upgrade to a cassette system.

    Sheldon "Seven From Six" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
    | The less you bet, the more you lose if you win | --Alan Rudolph (_Trixie_) |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. Cy Galley

    Cy Galley Guest

    Before you throw away a great system, you should get a new set of shift cables with a low-friction
    liner. This can solve many of your problems.

    I would still be using my SunTour Accushift if I hadn't gotten a 9 speed 12-34 cassette wheel. Even
    then I ran it as a 7 speed with the SunTour rear derailleur. When I finally got a Shimano down tube
    9 speed lever. I could only run the 12 thru the 30 tooth cogs as the short cage of the SunTour
    derailleur could not handle the long necessary chain.

    Of course I had a good low-friction set of cable and housing for the rear derailleur before I bought
    the fancy Shimano wheel WT-7700 wheel set.

    You will still need a good low-friction cable housing and cable regardless of what you use for the
    upgrade. But now I am repeating my self.
    --

    Cy Galley - Webmaster www.qcbc.org