Replacing derailleur pulleys - Shimano DA

BullGod

Apr 6, 2006
Hi,

I really need to replace the pulleys (small toothed wheels) in my DA derailleur.

I have heard using the pulleys by Tacx is a cheaper but effective alternative to shimano.

How difficuly a job is it to replace these? I looked at the park tools website and it seems hideously complicated, but a guy on my team says it's a 5 minute easy job, with the only difficult part being making sure the right wheel goes on the top / bottom.

I was hoping it was merely a case of using an allan key to open up the derailleur (at the pulley point), removing the old one and entering the new one.

Is this correct? or do I have a fiddly, blood pressure rising job on my hands?

Thanks

BG

It's dead easy, pretty much as you describe. It's even easier if you can break the chain while you do it. Top and bottom wheels cannot be swapped, as the bearings are different.

BullGod said:
I was hoping it was merely a case of using an allan key to open up the derailleur (at the pulley point), removing the old one and entering the new one.

Is this correct?

BG

Yes, that is correct. I don't break the chain. Just take it off of the chainrings to remove tension on the rear derailleur.