Replacing Fork with Carbon

Rathbern

Aug 14, 2003
I am considering replacing the fork on my 1998 Bianchi. I think the current fork is steel along with the rest of the bike, and it is threaded. Is it worth the expense and effort? And how much effort will I be getting myself into. I am by no means afraid of a wrench, but I do not have any specialized tools.

Thanks,

Scott

I wouldn't bother. A nice steel frame with steel fork gives you the desired comfort. Will of cource reduce the weight a bit, but not significant. (And if a few grams are important - replace the bike).
The fork might seriosly afffect the stability and steering responce - don't distroy what Bianchi made.....

Easton EC90 fork would be my suggestion; and while you're at it go to an Aheadset style headset / good stem combo. You'll gain in comfort and stability -- and shave serious grams.

My wife's bike, a Cannondale R1000, came with a carbon fork ... a Coda/Cannondale something or other. When I upgraded my old school Kestral carbon/chromoly steerer fork, I was so happy with the Easton that I had to put one on my wife's bike as well. Even going from a pretty good one that came with her bike, she noticed a big improvement, instantly.

Ironically, right after upgrading my bike, the frame cracked. The new bike I got at half-price (Specialized offered an E-5 frame at no cost, or an Allez Pro at half price), wasn't compatible with the 1" steertube on my Easton. So I sold my old components to a local new/used retailer, including the fork :-(

The Specialized C4 fork that comes on the Allez Pro is good enough that I can't justify the cost of an Easton EC 90 with a 1-1/8" steertube.

But I miss the EC90. I belive you'd see a big improvement by upgrading. Sorry Ajo, just MHO.

FWIW,

Jim

I have Reynolds Ouzo Pro forks on my racing bikes and I love 'em!

However, I've just taken off the Time carbon fork from my old Bianchi commuting bike and put the original steel fork back on.

It's definitely a bit heavier but the ride quality is much improved.