Replacing freewheel (cassette) on 81 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

skinks

Mar 13, 2013
Hello,

I am new to the forum and although I have been riding since 1970 when I bought a used Schwinn Varsity, upgrading to a Voyageur in '81 and a Trek 700 several years ago . . . I am not very knowledgeable about bike repairs, especially when it comes to freewheels (or cassettes as a friend said it was a cassette). The original freewheel on my Voyageur (yes, I still love riding that old bike) seems to be shot and I can't find an identical one to replace it. It seems that particular Shimano model was only used a year or two from what I've been told. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!!

I don't know what kind of cassette or freewheel your Voyager has, either (but I'm betting its a 6- or 7-speed freewheel), but your local bike shop should be able to take a look at it and get you a suitable replacement. Or post a photo and we can find one for you.

The brand is pretty insignificant. What we really need to know is, freewheel or cassette, how many speeds, what size cogs.

You can get a 6 or 7 speed Sun Race freewheel for less than $15 if you shop around. 13-28 is a typical size for a bike of that vintage.

Replace the chain, too, while you're at it.

Quote:Originally Posted by skinks .
I am new to the forum and although I have been riding since 1970 when I bought a used Schwinn Varsity, upgrading to a Voyageur in '81 and a Trek 700 several years ago . . . I am not very knowledgeable about bike repairs, especially when it comes to freewheels (or cassettes as a friend said it was a cassette). The original freewheel on my Voyageur (yes, I still love riding that old bike) seems to be shot and I can't find an identical one to replace it. It seems that particular Shimano model was only used a year or two from what I've been told. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I concur with mpre53's suggestion ...

If your frame's rear triangle has 126mm spacing, then you can just go to eBay OR possibly your LBS where you can-and-will-want-to buy a 7-speed SunRace Freewheel with the particular tooth range that best suits your riding needs ...

• the SunRace Freewheel will have RAMPED cogs -- a good thing ...
    others, may not.
You will probably need a Freewheel removal tool for your current Freewheel (probably a SunTour) AND eventually one for your SunRace (?) Freewheel ...

• of course, you can always have your bike shop remove your current Freewheel ... I don't know how much they will charge ... if it's $5-or-less then I recommend that you consider having them do it ...
    a less elegant option (particularly, if the required Freewheel removal tool is not available) is to grind off the smallest cog to access the outer (moving) shell & then remove 'it' & then remove the core with a pipe wrench ...
    LEVERAGE IS ALWAYS AN ISSUE as far as I am concerned!!

BTW. If you opt for a new chain (recommended), then I recommend either an 8-speed or 9-speed Shimano chain. The latter may require a NEW chain tool while most older chain tools will generally work with an 8-speed chain.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Very helpful! It encouraged me to keep digging for answers and I fixed the bike (new chain, too) so that it's operable and safe. My next project--hopefully yet this summer--will be a complete overhaul and restoration to bring the 81 Voyageur to its original beauty. . .or as close to that as I can. This is a great forum with a lot of great ideas and now that spring finally broke here in northern Ohio it's time to put some miles down. Again, many thanks!!!