Replacing freewheel on vintage-ish schwinn

Reeko236

Jul 18, 2010
Hey guys, I just bought my first road bike yesterday, a schwinn premis. I believe the bike is from the late eighties. My problem is, next year I am going to a very very hilly university. I would like to change the freewheel out to something that has a super low gear, like this Bikeman: Shimano MF-ZH36 13-34, 6-Speed 13-34-tooth Freewheel

I just don't know which freewheel to get as I am a little new to road biking. How can I go about finding which freewheel will fit my bike?

I'm not sure exactly, how many speeds?

You might get more replies if you post ths in the cycling equipment forum.

Reeko236 said:
Hey guys, I just bought my first road bike yesterday, a schwinn premis. I believe the bike is from the late eighties. My problem is, next year I am going to a very very hilly university. I would like to change the freewheel out to something that has a super low gear, like this Bikeman: Shimano MF-ZH36 13-34, 6-Speed 13-34-tooth Freewheel

I just don't know which freewheel to get as I am a little new to road biking. How can I go about finding which freewheel will fit my bike?
What is the current Freewheel on your bike -- how many teeth on the largest & smallest cog?

Does your bike currently have 6-OR-7 COGS on the rear?
I think a late-80s bike would typically have 7-cogs.
Are the bike's shifters FRICTION or INDEXED?

What rear derailleur does your bike currently have?
A short cage rear derailleur may not be suitable for a Freewheel whose largest cog has 34t.
What crankset does your bike currently have -- that is, how many teeth are on the chainrings which are currently on the bike?

What is your budget?