replacing gear cable

Geoff Pearson

Guest
The front gear cable outer has split on my 1999 Specialized HardRock. What
make and type should I buy from the Edinburgh Bike Coop tomorrow?

Geoff Pearson wrote:
> What make and type should I buy from the Edinburgh Bike Coop tomorrow?

Are the sheaths/outer cabling fine?
Then this :-
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2u76hm
fit it and cut off the excess. Finish off the cable using your
favourite method these include everything from crimped on ends (a la
"professional") to a little glob of epoxy

--
www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk

soup wrote:
> Geoff Pearson wrote:
>> What make and type should I buy from the Edinburgh Bike Coop tomorrow?

> Are the sheaths/outer cabling fine?
> Then this :-
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2u76hm
> fit it and cut off the excess. Finish off the cable using your
> favourite method these include everything from crimped on ends (a la
> "professional") to a little glob of epoxy

The OP said the outer has split. Fitting a new inner alone will do
nothing for the problem.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

"Geoff Pearson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The front gear cable outer has split on my 1999 Specialized HardRock.
> What make and type should I buy from the Edinburgh Bike Coop tomorrow?

Aren't they all very much the same? I'm sure that you can trust the
expertise of the assistants with this basic item. If your inner is the same
age as your outer, it might be a good idea to replace both.

-=V=-

Brian G wrote:

> The OP said the outer has split. Fitting a new inner alone will do
> nothing for the problem.

Mea culpa, should read fully before answering.

--
www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk

Geoff Pearson wrote:
> The front gear cable outer has split on my 1999 Specialized HardRock. What
> make and type should I buy from the Edinburgh Bike Coop tomorrow?

Maybe this
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3449gg
Note this is a full set but it may be an idea to replace front and rear
cables if they are a similar ages. The front one has failed perhaps the
rear is just behind.

Try asking if they do an outer on it's on, if the damage was caused
mechanically(if the inner is sound)and your ferrules can be re used.
Staff at the EBC (Edinburgh branch) SEEM more like bike enthusiasts
rather than salesdroids so shouldn't give you a bum steer.
--
www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk

"soup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Geoff Pearson wrote:
>> The front gear cable outer has split on my 1999 Specialized HardRock.
>> What make and type should I buy from the Edinburgh Bike Coop tomorrow?

> Maybe this
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/3449gg
> Note this is a full set but it may be an idea to replace front and rear
> cables if they are a similar ages. The front one has failed perhaps the
> rear is just behind.
>
> Try asking if they do an outer on it's on, if the damage was caused
> mechanically(if the inner is sound)and your ferrules can be re used. Staff
> at the EBC (Edinburgh branch) SEEM more like bike enthusiasts rather than
> salesdroids so shouldn't give you a bum steer.
> --
> www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk

yes - this is the one I had my eye on. I do plan to replace all the cables
but didn't want to start and found for a couple of quid more I could have
had something better/more long-lasting. My really local LBS in Portobello
High Street does cheaper ranges and may have good ones too so I will give
them a chance - otherwise it is round town to EBC.
Thanks for the help.