Replacing grip shifters with rapid fire shifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zilla, May 4, 2003.

  1. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    In additions to the shifters, will I also have to replace the derailleurs? What else???

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    Tags:

  2. "Zilla" <zilla6[email protected]> wrote:
    >In additions to the shifters, will I also have to replace the derailleurs?

    Nope. just replace the cables and shifters.

    >What else???

    It's probably a good to lube the cables, too.

  3. A shy person asked:

    Garrison Hilliard wrote:

    > Nope. just replace the cables and shifters.

    This is true _if_ the bike has Shimano derailers. If it has SRAM E.S.P. derailers (3.0, 5.0, etc.)
    the cable travel is different, and at least a new rear derailer will be needed.

    > It's probably a good to lube the cables, too.

    Actually, with modern lined housing and stainless housing, it is generally _not_ a good idea to lube
    the cables, because the viscosity of the lubricant can make the shifting sluggish.

    Sheldon "Party Doll" Brown +-------------------------------------------+
    | Never do today what you can do tomorrow. | Something may occur to make you regret | your
    | premature action. --Aaron Burr |
    +-------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  4. > Actually, with modern lined housing and stainless housing, it is generally _not_ a good idea to
    > lube the cables, because the viscosity of the lubricant can make the shifting sluggish.

    Don't you mean that grit will get trapped, impeding smoothness?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    [email protected]
    > A shy person asked:
    >
    > >>In additions to the shifters, will I also have to replace the derailleurs?
    >
    > Garrison Hilliard wrote:
    >
    > > Nope. just replace the cables and shifters.
    >
    > This is true _if_ the bike has Shimano derailers. If it has SRAM E.S.P. derailers (3.0, 5.0, etc.)
    > the cable travel is different, and at least a new rear derailer will be needed.

    Even if the derailer is from Shimano?

    <snip>

    Jonathan.

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    > [email protected]
    > > A shy person asked:

    > > Garrison Hilliard wrote:
    > >
    > > > Nope. just replace the cables and shifters.
    > >
    > > This is true _if_ the bike has Shimano derailers. If it has SRAM E.S.P. derailers (3.0, 5.0,
    > > etc.) the cable travel is different, and at least a new rear derailer will be needed.
    >
    > Even if the derailer is from Shimano?
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Jonathan.

    Huh? <scratches head>

    Mike

  7. Michael Dart <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws [email protected]

    > "Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    > > [email protected]
    > > > A shy person asked:

    > > > This is true _if_ the bike has Shimano derailers. If it has SRAM
    E.S.P.
    > > > derailers (3.0, 5.0, etc.) the cable travel is different, and at least
    > > > new rear derailer will be needed.
    > >
    > > Even if the derailer is from Shimano?
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Jonathan.
    >
    > Huh? <scratches head>
    >
    > Mike

    Yes, that clarifies everything.

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Actually, with modern lined housing and stainless housing, it is generally _not_ a good idea to
    > > lube the cables, because the viscosity of the lubricant can make the shifting sluggish.
    >
    > Don't you mean that grit will get trapped, impeding smoothness?

    Even before that, grease sticks the wire to the casing in those tight recesses. I find a light oil
    helpful but grease is simply not functional in modern gear casing.

    As an aside, we frequently withdraw the casing, oil the rusty wire and refit for a quick and
    successful fixup to bikes left outside all winter, "stainless steel" claims notwithstanding.