Dear All,
I need to replace a headset. Zinn's comprehensive maintenance book suggests
that you need special tools specific to that task. It is a threaded headset.
Thanks,
Neil

"Neil Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear All,
> I need to replace a headset. Zinn's comprehensive maintenance book
> suggests that you need special tools specific to that task. It is a
> threaded headset.

1. Get your LBS to do it. Not expensive, minimal chance of problems.

2. Get the proper tools and DIY. Expensive but not too diffcult a job.
Cyclus tools recommended.

3. Bodge it with a home-made press or hammer or whatever. Cheap, high
chance of frustration or buggering up headset or frame.

#1 is best if it's a one off job. #2 is good if you expect to fit a few
headsets in your life and enjoy dong everything on your bike yourself. #3
can be OK if you know what you're doing, though it's more difficult with
some bike/headset combinations than others.

~PB

~PB

"Neil Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear All,
> I need to replace a headset. Zinn's comprehensive maintenance book
> suggests that you need special tools specific to that task. It is a
> threaded headset.
> Thanks,
> Neil

The special tool you need is a friend. After you've tapped the old bearing
surfaces (cups) out with a brass drift and a light hammer they hold the
frame in the exact position for you to tap the new ones in using a bit of
thick plywood, a horizontal surface with a wooden surface and a rawhide (or
wooden) mallet.

A bit of tap tap tap will seat the cups. Many small taps around the
circumference rather than one big confident bash.

John

On 18 Sep, 23:22, "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Neil Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Dear All,
> > I need to replace a headset. Zinn's comprehensive maintenance book
> > suggests that you need special tools specific to that task. It is a
> > threaded headset.
> > Thanks,
> > Neil

> The special tool you need is a friend. After you've tapped the old bearing
> surfaces (cups) out with a brass drift and a light hammer they hold the
> frame in the exact position for you to tap the new ones in using a bit of
> thick plywood, a horizontal surface with a wooden surface and a rawhide (or
> wooden) mallet.
>
> A bit of tap tap tap will seat the cups. Many small taps around the
> circumference rather than one big confident bash.
>
> John

Put some grease on it, and taped it in very carefully with a wooden mallet.
It went well.
Thanks for your advice.