Replacing just one canti-brake with v-brake, no lever change?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tai, Jun 25, 2004.

  1. Tai

    Tai Guest

    I found some very inexpensive v-brakes on sale, which fits in with my
    (now) very inexpensive non-suspension Gary Fisher mtn bikes from the
    '90s.

    Would replacing just the front canti-brake with a v-brake, while
    leaving the rear canti and the levers canti, be reasonable?

    Searching the bike forums there seems to be a lot of disagreements
    about whether v-brakes are better than cantis but I'm hoping there's
    some concensus now.

    Thanks
    jt

    Tags:

  2. Tai <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Would replacing just the front canti-brake with a v-brake, while
    >leaving the rear canti and the levers canti, be reasonable?

    Well, a V-brake won't work well with the old levers, which pull the wrong
    amount of cable, and is there something wrong with your existing front
    brake?

  3. daveornee

    daveornee Guest

    Tai wrote:
    > I found some very inexpensive v-brakes on sale, which fits in with
    > my (now) very inexpensive non-suspension Gary Fisher mtn bikes
    > from the '90s.
    > Would replacing just the front canti-brake with a v-brake, while leaving
    > the rear canti and the levers canti, be reasonable?
    > Searching the bike forums there seems to be a lot of disagreements about
    > whether v-brakes are better than cantis but I'm hoping there's some
    > concensus now.
    > Thanks jt

    Probably won't work with your current brake lever, unless the lever has
    adjustable mechanical advantage adjustment. You need to pull quite a bit
    more cable.... have lower mechanical advantage for a V-brake.

    See Sheldon Brown's article on Cantilever Geometry:

    <http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html>

    --

  4. SDMike

    SDMike Guest

    "daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tai wrote:
    > > I found some very inexpensive v-brakes on sale, which fits in with
    > > my (now) very inexpensive non-suspension Gary Fisher mtn bikes
    > > from the '90s.
    > > Would replacing just the front canti-brake with a v-brake, while leaving
    > > the rear canti and the levers canti, be reasonable?
    > > Searching the bike forums there seems to be a lot of disagreements about
    > > whether v-brakes are better than cantis but I'm hoping there's some
    > > concensus now.
    > > Thanks jt

    > Probably won't work with your current brake lever, unless the lever has
    > adjustable mechanical advantage adjustment. You need to pull quite a bit
    > more cable.... have lower mechanical advantage for a V-brake.
    >
    > See Sheldon Brown's article on Cantilever Geometry:
    >
    > <http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html>

    It'll work BUT ya gotta be VERY, very careful not to grab a handfull of brake if
    you do.

    The old levers with new Vs are very spongy-feeling. They're also very touchy.

    I had no choice for bit. I had some XT canti r-fires on V-brakes till I found
    some 9sp shifters and V-brake compatible levers.

    V-brakes work best with V-brake levers.

  5. [email protected] wrote:

    > I found some very inexpensive v-brakes on sale, which fits in with my
    > (now) very inexpensive non-suspension Gary Fisher mtn bikes from the
    > '90s.
    >
    > Would replacing just the front canti-brake with a v-brake, while
    > leaving the rear canti and the levers canti, be reasonable?
    >
    > Searching the bike forums there seems to be a lot of disagreements
    > about whether v-brakes are better than cantis but I'm hoping there's
    > some concensus now.

    I have a bike with v-brakes and 2 with cantis. The main differences that I
    notice:

    - it was harder for me to get my fenders to fit with v-brakes
    - a bit less hand force required with the v-brakes

    I can easily apply enough braking force to lift my rear wheel with either
    brake. I find it slightly easier to control this with the cantilevers; I'm
    not sure if this is due to the difference in mechanical advantage, or some
    other factor such as the non-linear nature of cantis. It's quite possible
    it's just because I'm more used to the cantis.

    As others have pointed out, you'll probably need new levers for the
    v-brakes (although the levers on my v-brake bike has settings for both).

    I doubt you'll find much of a consensus here . . .

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
    -- James Thurber

  6. Weisse Luft

    Weisse Luft Guest

    Tai wrote:
    > I found some very inexpensive v-brakes on sale, which fits in with
    > my (now) very inexpensive non-suspension Gary Fisher mtn bikes
    > from the '90s.
    > Would replacing just the front canti-brake with a v-brake, while leaving
    > the rear canti and the levers canti, be reasonable?
    > Searching the bike forums there seems to be a lot of disagreements about
    > whether v-brakes are better than cantis but I'm hoping there's some
    > concensus now.
    > Thanks jt

    You can get a pulley adaptor which decreases the mechanical advantage
    AND puts a 90 degree bend in the cable line. I believe Colorado Cyclist
    has them. With this gizmo, using linear pull brakes with canti levers
    is possible.

    --

  7. Tai wrote:

    > I found some very inexpensive v-brakes on sale, which fits in with my
    > (now) very inexpensive non-suspension Gary Fisher mtn bikes from the
    > '90s.
    >
    > Would replacing just the front canti-brake with a v-brake, while
    > leaving the rear canti and the levers canti, be reasonable?
    >
    > Searching the bike forums there seems to be a lot of disagreements
    > about whether v-brakes are better than cantis but I'm hoping there's
    > some concensus now.

    If your brake levers are the old 2-finger DX type which pull 20mm or so
    of cable, they are OK with V brakes. Personally I'd go for it, having
    swapped all the Cannondale Force 40 gubbins for V's because my bike has
    no conventional cable hangers. I wish I'd done it years ago - the feel
    and power are both much better and V's are trivial to set up.

  8. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    [email protected] (Tai) wrote:

    >I found some very inexpensive v-brakes on sale, which fits in with my
    >(now) very inexpensive non-suspension Gary Fisher mtn bikes from the
    >'90s.
    >
    >Would replacing just the front canti-brake with a v-brake, while
    >leaving the rear canti and the levers canti, be reasonable?
    >
    >Searching the bike forums there seems to be a lot of disagreements
    >about whether v-brakes are better than cantis but I'm hoping there's
    >some concensus now.

    FWIW, I still run rear cantis and a front linear (aka "V") brake.
    However, it works because I have SRAM levers with very adjustable
    mechanical advantage - I set one on "V brake" and the other on "Canti"
    and I have the best of both worlds (lots of brake up front, and lots
    of modulation in back). Lighter and cheaper too! ;-)

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  9. On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:45:11 GMT, Weisse Luft
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tai wrote:
    > > I found some very inexpensive v-brakes on sale, which fits in with
    > > my (now) very inexpensive non-suspension Gary Fisher mtn bikes
    > > from the '90s.
    > > Would replacing just the front canti-brake with a v-brake, while leaving
    > > the rear canti and the levers canti, be reasonable?
    > > Searching the bike forums there seems to be a lot of disagreements about
    > > whether v-brakes are better than cantis but I'm hoping there's some
    > > concensus now.
    > > Thanks jt

    >You can get a pulley adaptor which decreases the mechanical advantage
    >AND puts a 90 degree bend in the cable line. I believe Colorado Cyclist
    >has them. With this gizmo, using linear pull brakes with canti levers
    >is possible.

    Dear Weisse,

    Loose Screws sells the gizmo:

    http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Cable/Casing&sc=Travel Pulley&id=102735530643

    "Price: $14.95 Item #LS-0030RB: Allows use of any standard,
    non linear pull brake lever with any linear pull ("V")
    brake. Doubles cable travel."

    The picture looks as if the gizmo makes the 90-degree bend
    that you have in mind.

    Carl Fogel

  10. Tai

    Tai Guest

    David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Arr*[email protected]>...

    > Well, a V-brake won't work well with the old levers, which pull the wrong
    > amount of cable, and is there something wrong with your existing front
    > brake?

    Nothing wrong with my existing brakes. Just thought they may be
    inferior to v-brakes since v-brakes are now standard.

  11. "Weisse Luft" wrote:

    > You can get a pulley adaptor which decreases the mechanical
    > advantage AND puts a 90 degree bend in the cable line. I believe
    > Colorado Cyclist has them. With this gizmo, using linear pull
    > brakes with canti levers is possible.

    That's true, but in this case an inexpensive V-brake lever would be a
    neater and cheaper solution.

    James Thomson

  12. Tai <[email protected]> wrote:
    >David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Well, a V-brake won't work well with the old levers, which pull the wrong
    >>amount of cable, and is there something wrong with your existing front
    >>brake?

    >Nothing wrong with my existing brakes. Just thought they may be
    >inferior to v-brakes since v-brakes are now standard.

    If your existing brake will lift the rear wheel, you cannot have more
    braking than that. If not, it is incorrectly designed or adjusted.
    Correcting that might be easier than changing a lever and a brake.