Replacing old 27 inch rims with 700c?

Chris Hansen

Guest
Hello,

I recently adopted an old road bike from an extended family member. It's maybe 15 years old and has
27 inch rims and I was wondering how much support is still available for that size rim and if it
would be possible to use 700c rims on it?

Thanks.

"Chris Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I recently adopted an old road bike from an extended family member. It's maybe 15 years old and
> has 27 inch rims and I was wondering how much support is still available for that size rim and if
> it would be possible to use 700c rims on it?

There have been an number of threads on the 27->700 topic; either go to Google or wait around for a
bit for somebody's experience. My commuting road bike is a 27 inch, and I see no compelling reason
for ME to change.

There's less 27 inch stuff, but there's no real shortage. You can get replacement rims - a very good
idea if your inherited bike has steel rims, but a 15 year old bike probably has aluminum rims. You
can get tires, both *mart cheapies and decent tires like Continental Top Touring tires (if you can't
find good 27 inch tires at your LBS): http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html

"Chris Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I recently adopted an old road bike from an extended family member. It's maybe 15 years old and
> has 27 inch rims and I was wondering how much support is still available for that size rim and if
> it would be possible to use 700c rims on it?
>
> Thanks.

The conversion can be a bit tricky. The big problem is brake reach. Some frame and brake combos can
accomodate the brake drop, some can't. There are drop bolts available for certain brakes that would
give you that extra 1" or so of drop but I don't know if they're still made. If your brake bridge
and fork crown are very close to the tire, you might be ok. If they're a mile away, like most cheap
bikes, you'll probably be out of luck. As Mike said, I don't know there's much reason to change
apart from trying to keep all your bikes the same. There is a bit of a problem getting good quality
27" stuff these days, but since you inherited the bike, I'm not sure this is a big deal.

Cheers,

Scott..

In article <[email protected]>,
"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:01:26 -0500, S. Anderson wrote:
>
>> The conversion can be a bit tricky. The big problem is brake reach. Some frame and brake combos
>> can accomodate the brake drop, some can't.
>
> True. Many older bikes were actually designed for both, since the maker assumed that they'd be
> used with either tubulars (same size as 700c) or clincher (only 27").
>
> There are
>> drop bolts available for certain brakes that would give you that extra 1" or so of drop but I
>> don't know if they're still made.
>
> They are still made, but we are not talking about 1". It's a 4mm difference.

I've heard several accounts from ppl who've ordered longer reach brakes from sources such as Harris
Cyclery, in the course of their 27" -> 700C upgrades. I suppose Weinmann doesn't have the same
cachet as other, more up-market brands. But apparently they work well enough.

Speaking of Weinmann, they seem to still distribute 27" ready-built wheels. I bought a brand new one
a couple of years ago, anyway. Good enough for a city runabout. I wouldn't do a loaded tour in
Iceland with it, though.

I've got a sh*t-load of 70's Shimano brakes of various reaches, and they're all actually pretty damn
good for what they are. Especially the centre-pulls, which are really quite beefy and non-flexy.

If one really wants to go nutz about brakes, there are all kinds of disc brake conversion sets
available. A google search readily reveals many sources.

I'd rather seek out brakes -- any good brakes that fit nicely, and go for the drop bolt kludge as a
last, desparate resort.

A note in passing: the old, chromed-steel rims aren't as evil as many would have us believe. They do
have their limitations, but they have some advantages, too. With the right brake pads, their slippery-when-
wetness can be obviated to an extent -- not as good as aluminum alloy, but not totally,
flounderingly useless, either.

cheers, Tom