Replacing old brake cables

I was planning to replace the cantilever brake cables on an old Saracen
mtb as part of a much needed service. I bought a shimano cable set
before realising that the existing cables are a lot thicker than the
modern parts. Also, the existing rear brake cable runs with an unbroken
single cable routed inside the top tube.

Do I need to use the same guage cables? Also I'm worried that once I
pull the old rear brake cable outer out of the top tube, I'll never be
able to get a new one in! (The entry holes in the tube are a snug fit.)

Thanks for advice!

On 25 Sep 2006 05:40:12 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I was planning to replace the cantilever brake cables on an old Saracen
>mtb as part of a much needed service. I bought a shimano cable set
>before realising that the existing cables are a lot thicker than the
>modern parts. Also, the existing rear brake cable runs with an unbroken
>single cable routed inside the top tube.
>
>Do I need to use the same guage cables?

No. Thinner is OK as long as good quality cables are used.

>Also I'm worried that once I
>pull the old rear brake cable outer out of the top tube, I'll never be
>able to get a new one in! (The entry holes in the tube are a snug fit.)

Here's a trick: Pull the old inner wire out of the old housing from
the lever end, and push the new, thinner cable through the old
housing. Now pull the old housing out of the frame tube from the
wheel end, and slide the new housing back up the new inner wire, using
it as a guide. Once the new housing is threaded through the frame,
you can remove the inner wire to allow slipping a ferrule over the
front end if needed. If the new housing seems loose in the holes at
each end, a layer of electrical tape or dab of silicone sealant or
other high-viscosity adhesive-sealant will usually keep it from
slopping around. A cable tie around the housing near where each end
enters the frame helps to keep it from sliding in and out, but don't
make them so tight that they distort the housing.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.