Replacing Parts

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by evil-nick, Aug 15, 2004.

  1. evil-nick

    evil-nick Guest

    Hey all, it looks like my right crank came loose and the LBS had to do
    some repair work... I've got the Nimbus 24" Muni, and have been riding
    it pretty hard, and I'm wondering about replacing the hub. Can I get
    any replacement hub that matches the spoke count, and get the LBS to
    replace it (and install new cranks to go with it of course.)? Am I
    limited to certain hubs that will fit in the frame? Last time something
    like this happened I replaced the entire uni (it was a cheap learner
    anyways ;)) and I'd rather not do that again ;) Would it be cheaper to
    just get a new KH wheelset then get the LBS to do the hub work (assuming
    the KH wheelset fits in the frame...) I can ride the thing, but am a
    bit clueless on parts ;)

    --
    evil-nick - Living in Balance

    Never kick a unicyclist in the groin... it will only make them grow
    stronger...

    evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

  2. You could just buy a KH hub and have your LBS rebuild the wheel. Mine
    have built several wheels for me. If your rim is ok, then don't bother
    with the entire wheel set, unless you don't want to mess around with
    having the wheel rebuilt.

    As for frame width, unicycle hubs should all fit with only a little bit
    of persuasion. Unless you have a carbon fibre or aluminium frame, then I
    don't think you are supposed to bend them.

    Oh the KH wheelset will fit the Nimbus II 24" frame.

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "...I explain briefly to him that such conduct leaves him vulnerable to
    accusations of being an idiot. We part as enemies" - Mikefule

    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  3. nickjb

    nickjb Guest

    If the flanges are a different size then you might need new spokes, too.
    Most unicycle hubs are pretty similar so you'll probably get away with
    it.

    If you are riding hard and likely to trash the hub again then it is
    probably time for a splined hub.

    Cost wise it depends on your bike shop. Building a unicycle wheel will
    be a bit trickier as it doesn't fit in a normal wheel building jig so
    they might charge you a bit extra. If that is the case then it'll
    probably be the same price as a new wheel.

    Finally, wheel building isn't difficult so you could tackle it
    yourself.

    ATB
    Nick

    --
    nickjb - I've lost a wheel (apparently)
    nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

  4. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "one wheeled stallion" <[email protected]> writes:

    > As for frame width, unicycle hubs should all fit with only a little bit
    > of persuasion. Unless you have a carbon fibre or aluminium frame, then I
    > don't think you are supposed to bend them.

    Right. Except I found your wordinbg a little confusing. To clarify,
    it's generally OK to bend steel frames to fit a new hub, but best not
    to try that with aluminum (and especially not carbon fiber).

    Ken

  5. TonyMelton

    TonyMelton Guest

    If you get your LBS to rebuild the wheel, it is very likely they will
    replace the spokes. Even if they are the same length with the new hub
    (whatever it might be) most wheel builders I've met insist on using new
    spokes. This will add to the cost of the rebuild.

    +o}\{y

    --
    TonyMelton - Skinny butt

    Three new albums added to 'my photo gallery'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10). Check it!
    TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

  6. GizmoDuck

    GizmoDuck Guest

    TonyMelton wrote:
    > *If you get your LBS to rebuild the wheel, it is very likely they will
    > replace the spokes. Even if they are the same length with the new hub
    > (whatever it might be) most wheel builders I've met insist on using
    > new spokes. This will add to the cost of the rebuild.
    >

    > +o}\{y *

    I think the reason most Wheel builders insist on new Spokes are that it
    is much faster to cut out all the old spokes. If you're paying your
    bike mechanic by the hour, imagine how long it takes for them to unscrew
    each spoke.

    I suggest if you're desperate about saving money to ask if they will
    rebuild the wheel if you unscrewed the spokes yourself. But if you've
    been rough on the wheel the spokes might not be that flash.

    --
    GizmoDuck - NZUNI

    o-kO

    "Give man dead fish, and he feed himself for lunch, teach man to catch
    fish, and he feed himself for life. Teach man to wheel ride, and he
    make friends everywhere, anywhere, and even have lunch at their
    place."
    Old Chinese saying

    'Cambodia Unicycle Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuv31)

  7. cyberbellum

    cyberbellum Guest

    GizmoDuck wrote:
    > *
    >
    > I think the reason most Wheel builders insist on new Spokes are that
    > it is much faster to cut out all the old spokes. If you're paying
    > your bike mechanic by the hour, imagine how long it takes for them to
    > unscrew each spoke.
    >
    > I suggest if you're desperate about saving money to ask if they will
    > rebuild the wheel if you unscrewed the spokes yourself. But if you've
    > been rough on the wheel the spokes might not be that flash. *

    Yes, exactly. It's cheaper to use new spokes. Cutting out the old
    spokes takes a few seconds, but unscrewing them takes five to ten
    minutes. And then re-using them to build a wheel takes a little longer
    because the threads tend to be a little corroded so the truing and
    tensioning takes longer.

    If you are going to re-use spokes to save money then do most of the work
    yourself. Get a hub that uses spokes of the same length. In practice,
    that generally means having the same flange spacing and radius.
    Carefully de-tension the wheel so that you don't prang the rim.
    (Unscrew all the spokes 1/4 turn, then repeat until they are slack. Once
    the hard tension is off you can start going with 1/2 turns.) Lace up
    the new hub and get it roughly true with low tension. THEN take it to
    the LBS for the final true and tension.

    Tell them what you intend to do up front and they'll help you a bit. It
    saves them work later to have you use a proper spoke lube, etc.

    If it were me I'd buy a whole new wheel set and keep the old one in
    reserve as a spare.

    --
    cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

    I was standing in the park wondering why frisbees get bigger as they get
    closer. Then it hit me.
    cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

  8. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    There is a spoke length calculator on the unicycle.com UK site where you
    enter the hub and rim and number of spoke crosses and it gives you the
    spoke length you need. I switched out my suzue hub with a profile and
    the same spokes were close enough to reuse. The suzue is narrow with
    large flanges and the profile is wider with small flanges so the spoke
    length was only a couple of millimeters diferent. I think that reusing
    spokes is fine, bike shops like to allways use new spokes because as
    mentioned before its easier to cut them out than unscrew the nipples,
    and then they get to sell you new spokes. With stainless steel spokes
    and brass nipples corosion is not a problem, and neither is reusing
    spokes if anything used spokes are tested and any stretching they may do
    has allready happened.

    --
    Tellurider - Dan Wilson

    Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

  9. evil-nick

    evil-nick Guest

    So how much has it actually cost people to rebuild their wheels? As a
    baseline for me to work with... I went less than a mile today and that
    dang right crank went loose again... walked home :'( I'm thinking of
    getting the KH hub, which will mean new cranks as well... so maybe it
    will end up being cheaper to just buy the whole wheelset...

    --
    evil-nick - Living in Balance

    Never kick a unicyclist in the groin... it will only make them grow
    stronger...

    evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

  10. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    Rebuilding your wheel can cost nothing if you borrrow a spoke wrench
    and do it yourself. Otherwise, I can tell you that Kovachi Wheels who
    build wheels for unicycle.com advertise $30 for a wheelbuild. You may
    need new spokes when you change hub and/or rim, and that'll set you
    back an additional $15, or so.

    The bearings that come with the splined KH hub are 42mm (outside
    diameter), while I think most unicycles use 40mm. Unless your frame
    accomodates the larger size (e.g. currently uses shims to fit the
    bearings) you can't use the splined KH hub. You can go Profile for
    about $110 more.

    As for price, by the time you're done with hub, cranks, spokes,
    bearings, and wheelbuilding cost, you'll probably save a few dollars
    and end up with a better built wheel compared to the KH wheelset on
    unicycle.com. The advantage of the wheelset is it comes with a great
    rim plus tire, tube, etc. If you go Profile, you'll definitely save
    money buying the hub a la carte.

    Ken