Replacing plastic part on Shimano SPD-SL pedals

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
As many have heard and seen, the plastic part in the center of the Shimano SPD-SL pedals needs to be replaced every so often. Mine are definitely at that point. I have the plastic piece but am wondering how to pull the old ones out? I've tried taking a screwdriver and prying it out but I couldn't manage to get it. What do I need to do in order to get that plastic part off?

Use a tiny screwdriver or something sharp like a pick. You have to dig up an edge or corner and then pry the rest of it out.

You need to change those things more often on the older models. If they wear too much, the aluminum wears also and then you get some slop during your pedal stroke.

rudycyclist said:
As many have heard and seen, the plastic part in the center of the Shimano SPD-SL pedals needs to be replaced every so often. Mine are definitely at that point. I have the plastic piece but am wondering how to pull the old ones out? I've tried taking a screwdriver and prying it out but I couldn't manage to get it. What do I need to do in order to get that plastic part off?
Here's a link to the service instructions for that pedal:

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techd..._6610_R540/SI-42V0E_v1_m56577569830611152.pdf

As you will see, that plastic piece is described as "consumable" and should be replaced when any part of it wears through to the aluminum pedal body. Yup, just take a fine screwdriver and pry that sucker off.